Not sure if my GP is an idiot or a liar

Posted , 5 users are following.

I told my GP that I wasn't happy being on Citalopram and Sertraline because of the weight gain. She responded that my only options are to either go back on Sertraline or come off anti-depressants all together.

Now I know this isn't true as I did Psychopharmacology in my Psychology degree. She's acting like there aren't any other antidepressants out there. It's so frustrating.

Has anyone else had this experience?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Afternoon Beck, Years ago your GP would sit and listen to you, getting to know you over the years, and always helpful. sadly, today, with some members of the profession, it is a "numbers game" rather than a consultation and a remedy.

I used to discuss my treatment with my old GP, rather than being fobbed off, and he was a great bloke to get on with and became one of my best friends.

Whatever happened to the art of listening and the "bedside manner" that doctors and nurses used to have  ??

Hope you get satisfaction, regards, George.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you feel nurses no longer have  any bedside manner now. Don't you ask yourself why?  Ask any qualified nurse I am sure they would say they would love to have more time to sit and talk to there patients, but more and more responsibility is now on a nurse and they have managers and consultants saying why hasn't this been done or why hasn't this patient been discharged etc,etc. more and more patent contact and care is being carried out by carers who may not have the skills to talk to patients in a way to gather information without putting the patient under any pressure. We can all say what a nice day it is and how are we but actually having a meaningful conversation takes time experience and sometimes training how to ask the right question. 

Yes I was a qualified nurse all right I have recently retired but I hope I still had a good bedside manner.

soory for the rant but I was very proud to call myself a nurse. 

• Posted

I believe I mentioned "some", NOT "all".

Just an observation, not a criticism.

I should know, I am a retired Armed forces Medico.

XXX

• Posted

Ok hands slapped

the reference to some is in the first paragraph and could be interpreted as referring to GP professionals.

A doctor and a nurse although are both professionals in the health service they belong to different governing bodies.

You are probably thinking I am an argumentative sod, no not really if you knew me or saw me face to face I would be the one cowering in background.

This is the only place I can vent my feelings even if not always clearly explained.

Sorry George for taking out on you, but I am still a bit peeved with mental health services in my area, after singing their praises abut a month ago.

• Posted

I would definitely ask for a referral to see a spychiatrist...Afterall,they are the ones who really understand these issues.Alternatively,perhaps ask to see another G P in your local practice.My feeling is that the G P can't be bothered,though of course I may be mistaken ....It is trial and error,finding the right medication for every individual.As you so rightly say:there are many different options available.All the best x
  • Posted

I definately got the impression she didn't really care and was just rushing through the appointment. I have to go back in a month and I will make sure I see a different doctor. I will ask about being referred to a psychiatrist, it just sucks that you have to be referred even privately and takes months to be seen.

You are right George the art of listening and bedside manner has died out. We are just numbers and money to them instead of real people with problems.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your GP not really listening to you, they all are not like that.  You say you have to go back in a month is that what this GP said, that could mean to see him/ her well a month can be a long time when you are struggling, try making an appointment with someone else. Try to be open minded about GP's they are not all the same. I must admit I have a great GP who has done so much for me following quite lengthy discussions. It is just a matter of finding someone you are comfortable with.
  • Posted

This is simple, go to another gp. If that is not possible go back and tell the gp what antidepressant you would like to try.
    • Posted

I asked her about Wellbutrin which apparently helps with weight loss as well as being an antidepressant but she said it's just for nicotine addiction. I have to go back in 3 weeks, I'll make sure I see someone else
    • Posted

It is used for that. I thought that GPs had a list of 1st 2nd and 3rd line treatments to try. There are several classes available,

SSRI is the std 1st line (prozac, citalopram, sertraline etc)

SNRI - Venlafaxine for example

TCA (2nd or 3rd line loads of these with various effects but usually worse sides example is clomipramine which is an tca and snri),

NaSSA's - (normally 3rd line) Mirtazipine etc

and buprobian (wellbutrin) I,m not sure what class that would come under as it increases dopamine.

I would change GP's if you are not happy though, if for the simple reason you must feel comfortable with your doctor and clearly your unhappy. I went through 3 gps before I found one I was comfortable with but it was worth it as she is great.

• Posted

Hi I emphasise with you.   Through trial and error and downright luck I have a great doctor.   I went to see her about something else and she said to me  'What's up?  I have seen you like this before you know'.    I found myself gabbing away to her for a while and she was great.   She recommended I went back to counselling and gave me the self referral number.   

So keep trying until you find a good one you can relate to and who listens to you.  x

• Posted

Tell your doctor that you know there are a number of alternatives out their and as your GP it is her duty to investigate other options. If she won't do it ask to see lanother doctor if one is available or move to another practice. A GP is meant to do the best they can for their patient, not give up on them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.