Not sure if symptoms are GS related

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with GS about 2 years ago and took my GP's word for it that apart from jaundice there was no need to worry. Until recently I would have said I am a fit & healthy 68 year old woman who takes moderate exercise, eat a balanced & wholesome diet, take the odd glass of wine and drink lots of water. For the last six months I have been feeling quite unwell, nausea a daily occurrence with headaches, sweating, feelings of acute anxiety, stress and occasional vision problems and dizziness. I’ve lived with very dry skin all my life but it has got worse with itchy, scaly patches on my face. A twenty minute walks with the dogs leaves me very tired. My GP seemed to be at a loss as to what is causing it after a blood test came back clear. After a urine test result I was prescribed Amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day for 5 days for a “slight” kidney infection. I mentioned a bitter taste in my mouth and she immediately prescribed Omeprazole, gastro resistant capsules, I said it was not gastric reflux but she wanted to rule it out and ordered a stool sample to test for Helicobacter pylori which I was successfully treated for a number of years ago. The results were clear as I had expected so needless to say I’ve dumped the Omeprazole. Through all my searching on the net I hadn’t connect my symptoms to GS until I came across this site a few days ago. At first I was relieved and thought I'd found the answer but on second thoughts and reading about other subscriber's symptoms mine don't seem so bad, The nausea is what causes me most concern as it is very debilatating. However as I get a good 8 hours sleep on most nights tirdness is not my major concern.  I am now wondering if my symptoms are linked to GS or not. Greatful for any thoughts from other members. confused        

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Annie, your symptoms sound like GS but it could be many other things. This is a great website for GS symptoms, check it out:

http://www.gilbertssyndrome.org.uk/

• Posted

For info, if you want to refer users to the website you have provided and not wait for moderation it is linked on all discussion pages in this GS forum. It is under Related Information at the bottom right. 

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

You are welcome Annie! A word of caution, even if your symptoms are on the light side for now, in case you indeed have GS those symptoms can worsen pretty fast in no time. The main thing to do to prevent GS from getting worse is to relieve the liver from having to process stuff like medications, chemicals from food and other things, alcohol, refined sugars and carbs.
    • Posted

Sorry for not replying sooner Sheila, I haven't been back on the site for some time. I will certainly take on board your comments about relieving the liver, I think it holds good in general, thank you. I have now been given the result of a thyroid test and told I have subclinical hypothyroidism which is the more likely cause of my symptoms. The nausea has all but disappeared and I attribuate that to drinking a glass of Kefir milk every day. smile   
  • Posted

Hello Annie

To me, your symptoms aren't ones which would be related to GS even though most GP's don't understand what a person with GS goes through.

I was diagnosed with GS 30 years ago and am sure I had it for at least 5 before being diagnosed.

GS symptoms are more to do with extreme exhaustion and being unable to eat certain foods, eg spicy or greasy foods can affect you.

If you have only been diagnosed 2 years ago at your age, your GS must be relatively light.  Although, no two people with GS will experience exactly the same.  I suffer from extreme exhaustion at times, unable to door daily chores for up to 10 days; even showering during times of my raised bilirubin is a very difficult task & I have been an extremely fit person who eats a nourishing balanced diet all my life. After a virus or post procedure or operation, I'm left with extreme exhaustion for 10 days; very delibitating indeed.

With your nausea, maybe you are suffering from reflux and do need something like nexum to take away the nausea.  Many people I know, say that once they have turned 40, they tend to find that alcohol, even one or two glasses seems to affect them more.  Maybe, if you enjoy a glass of wine or two, you ought to try an organic wine or just limit to consuming these at lunch time rather than dinner time when you will be lying down shortly after.

At your age, if this is all you're experiencing; you're extremely lucky.

• Posted

Hello Andree,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply to my query. Your exhaustion sounds so dibilatating, nothing like my mild bouts of tiredness. As you say "I'm extremely lucky at my age if nausea is all I'm experiencing" but I believe age is just a number! and know that the nausea is not caused by reflux and concerned that it's a symptom of something more serious.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.