Not sure. If this is the right forumn. Has

Posted , 2 users are following.

Anyone heard of burning mouth syndrome??

thks

lynda

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm a dental hygienist, and I know a little about it. I assume you have been diagnosed?
    • Posted

Hi Joolee

no I haven't been diagnosed with it.  Just looked up the symptoms.  Going to see my dentist soon.  Just wondering what it is and how to soothe it.

lynda

• Posted

There is usually a cause, such as diabetes, food sensitivities, or it could be fungal. If your dentist can't figure it out, you may want to see an oral surgeon. Sometimes, it takes a visit to the doctor and oral surgeon to get to the cause. In the meantime, you can suck on ice chips, chew surgarless gum, and swishing Milk of Magnesia can help. Stay away from whitening products and alcohol, until you know the cause. The last patient who I saw who had burning mouth syndrome, had a fungal infection in his mouth. It wasn't even obvious. Oral thrush, usually causes a thick, white coating on the tongue, or patches of white on the gums, linking of the cheeks, or soft palate. It wipes off, leaving a sore area underneath. This patient had a slight, white coating on his tongue, but that was it. It can be tough to diagnose the cause, but keep searching, until you get an answer! Best wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.