NOt sure if what I have is a cold sore on my lip

Posted , 2 users are following.

I went out with some friends shared drinks and cigarettes. A few days later part of my lip looked swollen like I had bitten or bumped my lip. I didn’t think anything of it. It was slightly discolored and doesn’t look like any of the cold sore pics I see online. I tried to poke it with a sterilized needle thinking it could have been some kind of fluid. It’s now About 5 days after I noticed the initial swelling Now it’s a bright red flat spot on my lip (no longer swollen). If I put polysporin on it, a yellow-greenish layer developes. I can wipe it off, but it happens every time. Once I wipe it away the spot is bright red again. So now I just put Vaseline on it. I took a pic but can’t seem to attach it.  THis has never happened before and I’ve never had cold sores before either.  I’d rather not take antivirals if I don’t have to, but I also don’t want to walk around with this embarrassing spot that kind of scabs over a little in the day when I don’t put Vaseline on it. Any thoughts are appreciated. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hey abc I’m sorry to say, but that defiantly sounds like a cold sore. At first it’s horrible, the constant headaches and the itching of your cheeks for good reason...it’s different for everyone but it’ll getter better as your body fights the virus as best as it can (get healthy!)

I’ve found an amazing healing regiment! All I use is Lucus’ papaw ointment, it’s a crimson red jar with healing ingredients. Some say it’s just vasaline but it has worked me wonders, I cry sometimes from how great and flippin fast it works on a sore!

I can not tell the difference between a tingle and just a twitch, so I usually mess up on telling when the initial bump may occur! This is where the ointment comes into save me.. I apply a good amount with a q-tip directly on to the bump (before any blistering cracking or gross stuff happens) and on the rest of my lips. The oitment does not moisturize but the healing agents help my lips 10000% from not cracking, peeling, or bleeding. Every few hours I’ll apply more directly to the sore to help heal faster!

Below is how quickly my personal healing process goes (2-3 days with significant healing seen) 

Day one after applying; the initial bump losses swelling, it takes me about 6-8hours for it to significantly reduce the same day, practically unnoticed. The bump starts to lose shape after one hour though, also redness is gone. After 3 hours the pulsating feeling stops. A good nights rest is important! Letting the cold sore breath with no bandage over night, if you are one to bandaid it up..

Day two; No bump protruding, scabbing process induced. Gross but scabbing is a good sign the sore is ready to end its cycle. I’ll apply the ointment throughout my day. I purchased tiny lid capsules to place the ointment it for travel along with q-tips so that I am not touching the sore at all, it’s also far more hygienic than carrying the whole jar, the product also sells small tubes, but this stuff works on everything so I recommend the jar!  Always washing hands before and after, sometimes just randomly to keep a clean hygiene. Do NOT pick the scab!! Let it do it’s thing man.. by the end of the day, if it is was a tiny bugger ( they usually are 90% of the time because the ointment stops the breakout from getting any bigger or spreading more range on your face or lips, at least for me it does!) the sore will have healed immensely. I’ll let it dry out some more, completely air dry, not applying anymore oitment, then right before bed I take Aquaphor oitment to a napkin/tissue and apply to the scab in circles/counter circles so it gets under the dead skin... wipe away at the scab and it should just slide off to reveal new skin. Please keep in mind if the scab is still yellowish green, the sore has not fully healed! That color, along with contagious liquids still coming out of the sore means you should safely and gently clean the sore as best you can. When the sore is freshly clean and you have disinfected the area (bathroom or table top) in which you clean the sore, apply more of the papaw ointment! I usually save the Aquaphor for the last step cause it makes removing the dead layer a breeze! But whatever works best for you is extremely important.

Also the Aquaphor helps calm the hot sensation for me as well. 

Hope this helps! I’ll be reposting throughout to try to help others. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.