Not sure now why I was even taking PPI

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, wrote a couple of weeks ago about the worry of stopping PPI's due to an endoscopy on Monday. Expected it to be hell, it was uncomfortable for a couple of days and I did sneak a ranitidine, but have not touched esomeprazole for 7 days now and I have been taking between 20mg and 40mg per day for nearly 9 years now.  I feel better than ever, my stomach is less swollen, I feel calmer around the stomach area if you know what I mean.  I have been taking the odd swig of gaviscon, but acid very mimimal, white frothy stuff in mornings virtually gone.  I have just been taking the PPI year in year out without bothering to see if the original acid symptoms are still there. I hope my endoscopy of Monday is clear. it is to see if excess antib's and supplements have damaged my stomach, the gastritis symptons have all gone so no pain, am hopeful of a good outcome, although am wondering if the lack of symptoms after so long is a good thing.  Just being anxious I suppose, but it all ok will speak to GP about staying off completely and just taking ranitidine if needed.

So, if like me, you are taking them and not really having symptoms, they are not that bad to come off and worth a try if only to stop putting medication into your system when something less aggresive would help.  

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello,

So sorry about your hospital disappointment. Hard to bear.

As for stress and other strong emotions affecting these gastritic issues, I can say definitely so in my case - even enthusiasm or lively chat has worsened things until I've rested or slept, so that I try to maintain mental calmness as much as possible. Stress is the fight or flight response, and it is meant to shut down digestion and so on while it lasts, so there's no surprise a gastritic stomach might show the effect of that quite markedly. Pain in the chest through stress can also result. Your discomfort easing once your stress settled sounds similar to what I experience, so to rest if stressed in future could be of help to you too.

Incidentally, in a comment I made elsewhere, I also mentioned about how not belching more than ten minutes or so after a meal is a good thing for me, for doing so once digestion has properly begun can bring a little acid up which would of course burn. Sticking to this rule has thankfully spared me a lot of that bother. I also sleep on my right side, which is also best for me.

• Posted

Hi had yesterday endoscopy, all normal, everything normal no sore bits, bad bits anything at all.  So it does make me wonder why I am taking PPI, I have only had the odd one while waiting for my test which was cancelled.  I have a bit of acid now and again and lots of white frothy phlegm in the morning and still have pain in side and stomach.  Thought it was either gastritis or an ulcer, but nothing which is absolutely great but not if you know what I mean.  Also proves that taking esomeprazole for 9 years has not caused any problems.  Just got to get on with life knowing that the pains are not serious.
  • Posted

Thats good news that its nothing serious, maybe your pains are from taking the meds. Hopefully if you dont start them up again they may then disappear too. Take it one day at a  time. Good luck x
    • Posted

Hi Nicola, that is what I thought, so am going to try to stay off them see what happens. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.