Not sure of diagnosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! I saw consultant last week following colonoscopy. He is unsure is it is Crohn’s or UC, as my presentation is a bit mixed! Either way, he said that it is mild. My main symptom is bloody diarrhea in the morning! He has started me on Asocol and seeing me in 2 weeks. Has anyone else had a similar experience of not being sure of diagnosis and how long should asocol take to work? Thanks for any help!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kathy,

My consultant is also unsure of my diagnosis; he says that the biopsies seem to favour crohn's. Having said that he prescribed me mezavant which has the same active ingredients as Asocol. My diease was marked as severe in places following my colonoscopy, so I initially had an 8 week of course of steroids. (prednislone or prednisone - i always get the name mixed up)

The steroids cleared me up after a few weeks. I am now about 6 weeks into taking Mezavant and I still get blood now and again but it's not too bad. I can't say how long they take to work since I took them straight after the 8 week steroid stint. I seem to be ok on them but did have a bad 3-4 days a couple of weeks in. (fever, sweats and bloody diarrhoea - I couldn't place it the UC/CD or the Meds! Thankfully it passed)

Best of luck. smile

Frank

• Posted

Thanks Frank, I guess it’s a wait and see game at the moment! I’m very thankful that my symptoms aren’t worse, my consultant seems fairly positive about it! It’s a lot to get your head round though isn’t it?
    • Posted

Indeed it's a waiting game! I am also thankfull that my symptoms are not so bad; and really realived that the steriods and now mesalazine seem to be keeping things under control. You are right it's hell of lot to get your head around! I am in a far better place now; I spent the best part of last year planning my every move around toilets! The urgency to go was unstopple when it came. ;p

The thing is Mesalazine isn't supposed to be so great at controlling crohns but has less side affects so my consulatnt was keen to try these first. I kinda conclude after 6 weeksthat I should have UC (since symptoms are better but not totally gone) but maybe it's still too early to say. I see my consultant on Wednesday, have to see what he says. smile

Have you just started taking Asocol? 2 tablets a day, 2.4mg?

Frank

• Posted

Hi Kathy I was diagnosed with crohns and I had u/c if you have a lot of mucus it could be u/c and if it you lower part of the colon it might be u/c mucus is the key pull up u/c and have a read I got mine when I had food poisoning but you would think they would of known then but everyone makes mistakes but we are not aloud to ask questions keep in the dark like mushrooms not like adults or patients

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.