Not sure what else I can do

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with grade 2 oesophagitis indeterminate Barretts and gastritis in February. I've been put on 60mg of lansoprazole a day but my symptoms don't seem to be getting better. I've had stomach pain since the gastroscopy and immediately after eating get the acid taste in my mouth (I have silent reflux so it's really hard to tell when it's happening)

I'm at my wits end as to what to eat. I've cut most things out but I'm struggling maintaining my weight as there just doesn't seem to be enough foods out there that are high calorie enough to eat little amounts of.

I don't understand how I could have h pylori negative gastritis either, so don't know how to calm that down. It's all incredibly depressing and because my symptoms seem to not be getting better I'm waking up in a panic terrified that the gastroscopy missed something. I feel like my life has been stolen from me. Had a ct scan today of my chest which will have taken in my abdomen too so hoping that if there's anything bad there it will be picked up.

Anyway, anyone else had similar to me where the LANs doesn't seem to be working? If so, what did you do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are in such a pain.

I was diagnosed with mild gastritis and oesophagitis. Beside the inflammation everything was fine: normal blood tests, no H. Pilory, no allergies. I kept asking for a cause but the doctor could not tell me beside a sensitivity. I took dexilant (PPI as well) but it did not work the first month. It started working when I stopped all fats and milk products, and started following the low acid diet recommended by Dr Jamie Koufman in her book "Dropping acid". I was hungry all the time but I tried to eat rice, mashed potatoes, bananas and raw coconut water regularly to compensate the calories from fat with calories from sugar. I do eat more proteins than I used to as well which seems to satisfy my hunger. After two months on the PPI (I took me some time to adjust the diet with trials and errors, and resisting going to the restaurant. Every time I would go to the restaurant I would feel sick again), I felt good, normal and the acid in my mouth was gone completely.

• Posted

That gives me hope I can get over this! I was thinking of getting the book, so I'll definitely go on Amazon this evening and buy it. Trying to drop dairy but it's hard as I'm vegetarian, and I rely on milk. Hopefully it won't be forever sad
  • Posted

No it won't be forever. You can always try 2-3 days without dairy, then try it again and see how you feel. For me it was very clear that I got a lot of acidity after drinking milk (and I stopped yoghourt because it is too acid for now). But you will see that in the book low-fat milk is actually recommended because of its alkaline Ph level (around 7 I think), maybe dairy won't hurt your stomach. Also there are replacement. Some people do well on soy milk and almond milk, unfortunately I don't.
  • Posted

Yeah, I had yogurt last night and really paid the price! It's definitely on the banned list! Good news about the low fat milk tho, as that's what we have in the house anyway smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.