Not sure what's up

Posted , 2 users are following.

To briefly summarise, I'm in the midst of being diagnosed with PCOS. But I'm not sure what's even going on to be honest!

In more depth - I'm 19 and I've probably been menstruating for five or six years now? Since getting my period I've never been regular, save for maybe two or three 3-month blocks where I've been clockwork. I talked to my mum about it, she thought it was just a family thing (she's had the same, and my grandmother did too), so I never really bothered seeing anyone about it.

Fast forward to this year, which is incidentally my first year at uni. I'm now in a relationship, so I thought "let's be sensible and get on the pill, because having a baby right now is not financially or emotionally the best idea", and went to get that sorted. Mentioned the ammenorhea to my GP, and she said she would have to send off for some blood tests before they could put me on something just to rule out PCOS.

My blood tests came back fine apparently (although I wasn't told what they were testing me for, or what the results actually were?) alongside a few extra ones they did for my low mood / undiagnosed-but-pretty-certain-it's-there depression.

I was told if they came back normal to see the nurse about going on the pill, and so I did (a week or so after my initial blood tests) - they couldn't put me on the combined, as I've had migraine aura before, so I'm on the progesterone only one (Cerelle). I also got checked for pregnancy - a thankful negative!

Just as a precaution of couse, I had to go for the ultrasound still, which was on this Wednesday just been. The woman who did my US said that my ovaries were pretty symptomatic for PCOS, and that I'd have a call from the GP in the next few weeks to sort that out. So I either have the damned thing, or just a bunch of tiny cysts hanging out at my ovaries for no apparent reason?

This is all fairly straightforward. However...

The day I had my blood test (as I discovered AFTERWARDS) I started spotting / having a very light period? I've been on and off spotting since then, but this might have something to do with only just becoming sexually active? Anyhow, slightly worried that it might have thrown off the original blood tests, but oh well. 

Since coming on the pill, which I've now been on for two weeks, my bleeding has been a little heavier, but sporadic (almost every other day?) until Friday, where it seems to have gone full-period style.

Not only that, but since going on the pill I've been getting dizzy spells. My sleeping is more disrupted than usual, and I've been really dissociative recently (although that is probably stems from a slight incident back in March, but it's gotten so much worse since starting the pill?). My balance is shot, I'm more on edge, my head feels heavy and fuzzy, and I'm bloaty.

This is my third period since starting uni, what the hell.

Could anyone hazard a guess as to what is trying to bugger me up at the moment?

Just for a recap:

- 4th May: light spotting for first time in months (from sex?) and blood tests

- 11th May: blood tests come back fine and within normal parameters

- 15th May: start taking Cerelle (POP), negative pregnancy test, spotting is still a thing (sporadic)

- 26th May: Period 3 of the academic year (since September) hits in full force, heavy as hell

- 28th May: dizzy as hell and really lightheaded (and I have eaten properly)

I should like to add, it seems like whenever I DO get my period, it's almost like my body's playing catch-up and decides to create a mini massacre. Almost never any cramps though.

If anyone has a goddamn clue, I would be most appreciative.

Cheers!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. A nurse here from the US with a long term diagnosis of pcos. I will just give you a little of my background so you can have an idea of what to expect. I was diagnosed at 16, i am now 30. Little was known about pcos at that time but there is a lot of research and i suggest you look at it. Simply, i have thick dark hair in many places most women dont. You HAVE to be on birth control. It reduces the cysts. I cant take the pill because the hormones with the disease make me a psycho. I chose an implant. It helps, but periods are just as irregular as they were before diagnosis. I once went 1 year 6 months without a period. I have never been pregnant. I also suffer from bad acne, extreme male pattern baldness (which i was diagnosed with after a scalp biopsy by a dermatologist that told me the only thing that helps is a male dose of rogaine and a nonexperimented pill with women called finasteride. She also went on to tell me any meds, programs, or products help for hair loss its all a gimmick.) The periods when i do get them are extremely painful and mostly clots, nothing helps with them. Your nipples will constantly be sore, and you will question if you are pregnant because of the hormone imbalances. I was tested for diabetes and came up ok. You have to lose the weight with low carb and balanced glycemic intake. If not you will have extremes with hypoglycemia, thusly resulting in diabetes. I have never had children but that is extremely hard to achieve with pcos.

My advice on things that work in my last 14 years...?

My hair loss is the worst. Essential oils for hair growth have been amazing combined with rogaine and hair, skin, and nails.

Follow a good diet and lose the weight. My hypoglycemic episodes are less frequent since my 40lb weight loss.

Dont eat extreme amounts of sugar so the insulin production floods your body and you become hypoglycemic.

Use birthcontrol.

Take spirnolactone. A lot of research suggest it reduces adrongen levels.

There is a cream out there, i am not on it yet but will be speaking to my gyn about it, reduces the apperance of excess hair growth. Its embarrassing but my girl mustache comes in almost daily.

Good luck. I deal with the pain, but i have a high pain tolerance. There is still a lot if unknowns with the diagnosis, but i wish i had someone with 14 years of trials and tribunals when i was first diagnosed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.