Not sure what to do.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all. New to this site and have been reading stories for the past 2 hours. 

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis 2 weeks ago which resulted in a 4 day stay in hospital as I had an abscess

Fortunately IV antibiotics worked and I was sent home a week ago advised to have low fibre diet and then gradually move to high fibre. 

I started adding fibre on Sunday, and today I have had 6 BM and my abdomen has become tender. 

Not sure if i should go back to hospital as I was told if it reoccurred to do so, but the pain is nowhere near what it was last time. 

Could this be for adding fibre too soon? 

Thanks 

Matt 

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Its possible that you added too much fiber too soon. I had a flare up almost 2 weeks ago and still alot if fiber is not good for me.
    • Posted

Thank you. As this was my first flare up, I’m going at the diet a little bit blind. Maybe leave the all bran out of the diet for a while. 
  • Posted

Hello, are you oral antibiotics now? My surgeon recommends adding fiber slowly after all courses of antibiotics are completed. I also had an abscess and was hospitalized for 4 days. Is an elective resection recommended for you? My surgeon does not recommend one for me at this time unless I have some sort of recurrence. 
    • Posted

Hello. 

No surgery as yet, until I have had a colonoscopy in a few weeks time. 

I finished my antibiotics on Wednesday last week and introduced fibre on Saturday, today I have had 8 BM and although not serious pain in my abdomen, I’m just a little concerned that it has returned and I will need emergency surgery and a stoma bag. 

• Posted

I see, yes it’s important to add fiber slowly I think at this point. Best wishes! 
  • Posted

Hi matt it may b fiber this happened to me I went to GI doc She did lab work and said tenderness was due to inflammation the blood work test was called CPR that came back positive
    • Posted

That C reactive protein, the normal level is 1-10 mine was 168 whilst on hospital. 

The anti biotics sorted that out, I think if I’m no better tomorrow  i will call my consultant. 

• Posted

I had Diverticulitis with abscess and in hospital for 5 days on IV antibiotics and sent home on antibiotics, they tear up you tummy for sure. Add probiotics now also some vitamins. I did liquid diet for three days then just low diet of mashed potatoes and carrots with boiled chicken spinach and fish. White rice, cream of wheat, white toast. You can look at Mayo Clinic diet for Diverticulitis it’s a start. I’m still not able to handle fiber, so I take fibogel or Metamucil. I go by low FodMat diet and keep a food journal to see what my triggers are. No dairy or fried foods, soda or coffee, or processed foods for a long time. No seeds, or popcorn. Hope you feel better soon and prayers for a speedy recovery 🤗🙏

• Posted

No fresh veggies only soft, forgot to mention that. No veggies that cause bloating or gas. But the antibiotics will make you very sick so it takes awhile to set your gut flora back , so a good probiotics will help. If you get spasms ask Dr for Bentyl. Tylenol and heating pad helps. 
    • Posted

What kind of probiotics is good? Do you take it while taking the antibiotics? My stomach is so messed up right now. Nauseaus alot of the time. Any info would be great.
    • Posted

I took Florastor while on antibiotics, and vitamins B12: D3 and  drank a lot of water and cranberry juice and teas. For nausea I did Mylanta or a tums . And Tumeric “ Golden Milk” you can find diets and recipes on Pinterest for Diverticulitis and Low FodMat diets. . The antibiotics made me feel so sick and gave me anxiety, so took Xanax. It takes time to heal. I’m still not well and now have SIBO so back on antibiotics for 2 weeks. So sick of being sick in tummy. Hope this helped a little. Everyone is Diff when comes to probiotics, Align infantis , Renew Life, Prescript Assist, PB8, just a few you can look for. 

• Posted

Hi vickie my colonoscopy is tomorrow I have had diarrhea for 2 days and I have to start drinking the prescription stuff for further clean out later on today Pretty stressed out right about now Surgery all set for July 24th so scared
    • Posted

Hi sweetie, this is tough I cannot even imagine what your going through, the prep is not really that bad, and diarrhea is due to antibiotics right, just focus on drinking a lot of pedialyte or Gatorade and water. Teas help. And breathing deep is good. Before I did my prep I ate good, the foods allowed. I even had some chocolate cuz I knew I was getting cleaned out. Keep IPad or book in bathroom or music. My prep was lemon flavored, so if yours isn’t I’d add some flavor. They will tell you what’s ok. Use a cup with straw and I sucked on menthol cough drops, it helped. I know it’s causing u stress and anxiety and fear of unknown, but try to think of what life will be like when this is all done, and after recovery. Positive things are on the horizon. Your going to feel better, be done with all the pain. And your going to have an awesome nap when they do colonoscopy. And sleep good the rest of day. My thoughts and prayers are with you everyday. I’m here for you, and we need to figure out how to private message on here. 🌸 Try to relax today I know it’s easier said then done, but it will all be done and over before ya know it. Keep me updated ok. 🙏🌺🌸

• Posted

Your awesome and a very tough amazing woman. Thinking of you and prayers and good vibes sent your way. Try to rest when you can. Keep me posted on how things go tomorrow. 🙏🤗🌺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.