Not sure what to do.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all. New to this site and have been reading stories for the past 2 hours. 

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis 2 weeks ago which resulted in a 4 day stay in hospital as I had an abscess

Fortunately IV antibiotics worked and I was sent home a week ago advised to have low fibre diet and then gradually move to high fibre. 

I started adding fibre on Sunday, and today I have had 6 BM and my abdomen has become tender. 

Not sure if i should go back to hospital as I was told if it reoccurred to do so, but the pain is nowhere near what it was last time. 

Could this be for adding fibre too soon? 

Thanks 

Matt 

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was told to eat whatever I wanted. I'm in Australia. You definately can't.  And if you think it's back go straight back to docs. Mine didn't go away. I had it for months after my hospital stay, and it had never gone away, but didn't show on blood tests. I had surgery in the end. Look for my story on the forum. Be assertive if you are at all worried. And stick to a bland diet for sure. 

• Posted

It could be adding too much fiber too fast.... did you ask your doctor? 
  • Posted

IMO no fiber until you heal.  Probiotic for sure. No skins seeds or nuts.  Soft foods for several weeks.  Don’t get constipated.  I use Miralax.  It mixes with everything.  Also stay away from hard to digest meats. Ground beef chicken is ok. I use a crockpot a lot!

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.