Not sure what to do

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi . Just had the results of a blood test. All ok except for high cholesterol. Doc not happy because i am on hrt and she has put me on Atorvastatin. Having read some of the posts here they have quite a few side effects.. does anyone know the current guidelines on these tablets. I dont mind taking them but if they cause aching muscles and nausea, then i dont fancy living with that!

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi pat11500,

after trying them myself and getting side effects that kept me feeling bad...pain in side, nausea, flu-like symptoms, I worry hat the drugs may have toxic effects on everyone.  I don't know.  What I can say is that, if you're like many of us, you'll know if the drug is causing side effects after you start them.  I had.heard muscle soreness...so didn't think all the symptoms I was having were related.....just be aware of any new feelings, not just the symptoms described on the drug label.   ...also, know that the symptoms may persist for weeks after quitting?...mine did.  

Best wishes

• Posted

Many, maybe most, people who take any statins have no adverse effects, but those who do usually have very severe ones, sometimes including permanent muscle and/or nerve damage if taken for a long period.

I don't believe taking them for a couple of months would do any longterm damage and you'd know by then if you're in the group who have severe negative effects & could stop taking them.    Common negative effects are muscle and nerve pain, severe exhaustion, severe depression and lack of libido.   I had all these on all brands and all dosages and also on a non-statin cholesterol lowering medication.

Did your doctor give you any dietary suggestions before resorting to statins?   I'm having a cholesterol test tomorrow to check if the Psyllium Husks I've been taking for a while have lowered my cholesterol any further:  at the last test my levels were slightly down, so here's hoping.    

I don't get the connection between HRT and high cholesterol:  the cardiologist who originally prescribed statins after I had a heart attack years ago told me it was ok to continue to use oestregen cream.

Another issue I have with doctors prescribing them routinely is that I've never heard of any doctor doing regular cholesterol tests on patients taking statins to check if cholesterol is too low, because that's dangerous too and is believed by some to be a possible factor in dementia, because the brain needs some cholesterol to function efficiently.

If I were you I'd give the statins a go for a while and see if negative effects develop.

• Posted

My GP is anti HRT, she said with me being on HRT and having high cholesterol it was a bad combination, she said she had worked out that my percentage of having a heart attack/stroke (I'm 65) after 10 years is 14.4% and it should be 10% or lower, to be honest I think, after reading some of the info posted here I would rather go the dietary way and reduce my levels that way. I already suffer from low back pain and am concerned these statins might make me worse.If they were to cause any muscle aches etc does this happen quite quickly after starting them? if it does then I would definately stop them immediately and talk to my GP about diet instead. I have been reading about the 5-2 diet .. do you know if its worth a try? Thank you for your replies everyone, much appreciated!
    • Posted

Good point Jude - after prescribing me statins, not once did my doctor recommend my cholesterol tested again, neither did they offer me regular liver enzyme tests - which I now am informed is critically important as statins can cause irreversible liver damage in some cases.  They were on repeat prescription and when I decided to stop taking them, I just didnt bother refilling the prescription from the pharmacy, my doctors must note this on their system but not once did anyone bother to comment or request that my cholesterol be tested again - really not a satisfactory level of patient care.  After seeing the comment about HRT and increased cholesterol, I just did a bit of online research.  From info online from clinical trials etc., it would seem the reverse is actually true - ie that HRT reduces the risk of CVD (cardiovascular disease) and CHD (Coronary heart disease) in menopausal women - thus taking HRT is good news for your heart health and shouldn't therefore be responsible for elevated LDL (the 'bad' cholesterol).
    • Posted

Took a year before my side affects showed up i full force!
    • Posted

How do you take the HRT and if for menopausal symptoms did you ever try other remedies?   I was concerned about continuing to use the vaginal cream after the heart attack and checked with my cardiologist, who said that statistically the added risk was tiny.

You may not be able to improve your cholesterol levels with diet, but it's worth a try:  some people can and some can't.   From memory, the negative effects of the statins showed up after about a month, but my impression from this forum is that it varies from person to person.   For me, the muscle weakness and nerve pain were worse than the actual muscle pain, also the exhaustion and depression.   From memory, I don't think they all hit at the same time and certainly the nerve pain was very erratic:  tingling/stabbing/burning in different parts of the body, totally randomly with no pattern that I could work out.

I have no idea what the 5-2 diet is and if it's to lose weight I'm not the person to ask!   In spite of dieticians telling me my diet is fine from accurate & detailed food diaries, I haven't been able to get below 85k.  I was already on a healthy low fat low sugar high fibre "diet" so there was nothing I could change to affect my cholesterol levels.  

t would be a good idea to improve your eating habits (if they need to be improved) as well as trying out the statins.     

• Posted

There's been controversy for years over HRT and heart disease.  It used to be said that because pre-menopausal women have much lower heart problem rates than men and the rates shoot up post menopause to equal men's, that oestrogen was protective against heart disease.

Subsequently it was realised that non human oestrogen (used to be from pregnant mares, I don't know if that's still the case) isn't as protective as normal natural human hormones, which makes sensebut I must admit I've left it to my cardiologist to keep up with the research and haven't looked into it for a while.

I hope you don't think I'm being pedantic, but your last statement lacks logic:   HRT could well reduce the risk of heart disease overall but still not affect cholesterol levels.

• Posted

I just remembered when I read yr post that it did for me too BUT that was because I was taking St John's Wort for depression and it blocked the effects not only of the statins, but also of some other medication.

I'm still positive I included it in the list of medications I gave the cardiologist after the heart surgery & which he said were all ok to continue with, but he later said not, so who knows?   The St Johns Wort issue came up about a year later when I was in hospital with pneumonia, and the negative statins effects then kicked in (I think) about a month lafter I stopped taking the SJW, but in stages which I can't now recall, but I'm fairly certain were gradual and erratic.

• Posted

I'll be honest, I havent done extensive research into HRT -v- heart disease.  My doctors refused me post menopausal HRT, even though I presented a good case as to its probable benefits to me.  Thus I didnt pursue it.  I merely 'googled' to see whether there was a documented risk of heart or vascular problems from taking HRT and the info I read said quite the opposite, that HRT in menopausal women, who as you say have an elevated risk, is shown to reduce CVD, CHD and improve lipid level and vascular health. Not my views, the views of the medical profession.
    • Posted

Are you talking pill or vagifem etc,which I believe pose an extremely low risk.
  • Posted

Hi pat

Not everyone has bad effects on statins but best advice is, if you start to get any issues at all, stop them immediately.  Also, whilst taking them, insist on regular liver enzyme tests and blood sugar level tests - they are known to adversely affect both, neither of which may give you drastic symptoms but can cause irreversible damage.

• Posted

Can i ask what your number was? Also how was your Ldl level?
  • Posted

Also look into takeing CoQ10
    • Posted

I spent quite a lot of money on CoQ10 while on statins, because they lower its production, but it made no difference whatsoever to the negative effects of the statins.   Apparently it does work for some people, but it didn't work for me.
    • Posted

In the US you can buy it at grocery stores and the price isnt bad considering the side affects it can keep at bay.
    • Posted

I took it until I couldn't afford it about a month ago:  I was buying it at a discount pharmacy for over AU$20 which was too hard to manage financially on a pension.  I honestly don't feel any different without it and when I was on statins it didn't help with the negative effects, although I know some people do find it helpful.

It seems to me that one of the many problems with statins is that they affect people in vastly different ways, ranging from no negative effects at all to permanent health problems, usually but not always from longterm use.    

• Posted

I think it is supposed to supplement this being taken from your body from statins. Here I have found it for as little as 10 although my husband doesnt know much about it and hardly takes it. I never took it.
    • Posted

That's exactly what it's supposed to do:  it's an enzyme the body needs and which is depleted by statins.    Would that be US$10?  Don't know the current exchange rate but that's probably about the same as here.

I can't see the point of buying it if it's not going to be taken regularly:  I used to take mine with the statin so I didn't forget but as I said, I don't think it made any difference with me anyway.

• Posted

Yes around 10 dollars and up. I wont ever know if it would help as i never took it,and my husbands been on statins for years and never took them. I asked my doctor way back when -about CoQ10,believe it or not he acted like he didnt know what i was talking about. I think alot of doctors recomend it now.
    • Posted

I've heard some cardiologists recommend it whenever they prescribe statins:  my bloke said in his opinion the favourable evidence wasn't yet conclusive but it certainly would do no harm ......."unlike the statins you insist I need to not die" is what I wish I'd thought to say at the time!

My heart attack was in October 2011 and I've had no heart problems since 

• Posted

Glad you are doing well. Husbands was 11 years ago,so far,so good,accept for the foot issues,etc,at least no heart attack.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.