Not sure what to do

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi . Just had the results of a blood test. All ok except for high cholesterol. Doc not happy because i am on hrt and she has put me on Atorvastatin. Having read some of the posts here they have quite a few side effects.. does anyone know the current guidelines on these tablets. I dont mind taking them but if they cause aching muscles and nausea, then i dont fancy living with that!

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i have been watching parts of 'Statin Nation', parts 1,2 over the last few days.  Before you spend anything on foods, drugs....spend the few dollars this cost to download... some of it is free.  Before you decide anything, at least be informed about what many experts are saying about statins.  It has given me great relief to learn statistics re heart disease, cholesterol, statins, mortality rates.  
    • Posted

I watched some of the presentations last night. I was shocked by what it revealed. Especially the Atkins diet trial when all the fat intake actually raised the good chol levels.. I am going down the middle road with my diet as I do not feel with all this info coming to light that I need to be "aggresssive" just eat healthy and cut out cakes/biscuits etc., It will be interesting to see what my levels are in 3 months.. (GP was put out that I refuse to take the Statins)  I have lost a lot of faith in the system over the last couple of days, its hard to trust the Doctors now as they are mostly of the same mindset. I will change to another Doctor in my practice and see if their views are a bit more up to date...
    • Posted

I wouldn't be giving much credence to positive info about the Atkins Diet:  my understanding is that it was thoroughly discredited many years ago BECAUSE of the high saturated fat content and Dr Atkins himself died of a heart attack

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.