Not sure where to go from here

Posted , 2 users are following.

So my pregnant niece was thrown out of her ex’s friends place by her ex in Dec. My Sister and Bro in law told her she couldn’t come back because they warned her about ex and she left on a very bad note. I told her she could stay with my husband and I for couple months but would have to find place to live. She has Autistic Spectrum Dissorder. Dash foward to now. She is still with me as is her 8 day old Son. I am in NAMI classes to try and figure out what to do. She loves her Son but has no concept of danger or what could hurt her son. She also meets these older guys online and does not realize the danger. I love my niece but I’ve been told by a few people that I really need to go for guardianship for him. I’m ok with that but super torn. She is not my sisters biological daughter. They were her guardians since she was three months old because her mom became schizophrenic when pregnant for her and so she also has detachment issues and will not snuggle with her son. She told me he was like her pet. He was her trophy. I’m not getting sleep because I have to make sure she’s doing what she is suppose to at night with him. I just don’t know what to do. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have an 8 year old daughter with Autism. I can't imagine how hard this is for you. I will say this, I do not believe any person has a right to have their child taken from them. I also belive people with Autism have a great ability to learn. Teach her how to care for her child. As for her calling the child like a pet..I don't find that odd or worrisome. People with Autism often have very strange ways of putting their feeling and attachments into words. I would bet that she is far more attached and loves this child far more than you may see because you are only seeing Autism.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.