Not sure whether to come off Amitriptyline or increase the dose?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help I have been on Amitriptyline for 4 years for anxiety and insomnia, last year I reduced the tablets from 20-10mg with no problem at all, I did this because I had a horrible vague confusion thing which lasted a week (the GP said it wasnt connected to the tablets!). I have been fine for 3 months until last week I started to have scary thoughts, it came out of no where, I immediately thought it was the tablets and started reducing the 10mg. Yesterday I went to my GP and of course she said my anxiety was getting worse and I should increase it again! the horrible thoughts have continued and I just dont know what to do, should I come off them altogether or increase the dose again??? I am of course anxious about insomnia setting in should I stop them, but on the other hand I am scared of these nasty thoughts and want them to stop. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks. 

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

If I were you I would go back on your medication of 20mg I was on Amitriptyline for about 10 years for the same thing and its very scary when you start having all the old feelings / thoughts back. Go back and see your GP, don't just stop them. Best of luck. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply very kind of you. The trouble is the horrible thoughts are new, I did not have them before I started Amitriptyline! that is what really scared me! The reason that I went on the drug in the first place was because I had really bad insomnia and was anxious about it! not because I had scary thoughts.

Does that info change your recommendation or do you think I should still go back on the 20mg?  I really appreciate your ideas, its good to talk to someone who takes the drug. 

• Posted

I would go back on them myself but perhaps you should visit your GP, sometimes you  can get negitive side effects of any drug and perhaps you are exsperiencing this, it takes a few weeks for the medication to work. Are you sleeping any better ?
    • Posted

Yes thanks, I slept better a few months I started taking the drug. Its very strange how after almost 4 years of being on the drug that I am having unwanted side effects, maybe it is starting to disagree with me. Thanks for your advice its been greatly appreciated, but I have decided to cut it down a little for a period of time and see what happens, at least if I dont cut if out altogether it should be easier to increase the dose again if I need to.Have you come off Amitriptyline? if you have did you have withdrawal symptoms like tiredness and confusion? I have and I have decreased by a tiny amount! 
  • Posted

If I were you I would go back on your medication of 20mg I was on Amitriptyline for about 10 years for the same thing and its very scary when you start having all the old feelings / thoughts back. Go back and see your GP, don't just stop them. Best of luck. 
  • Posted

Echo what the others have said I take 30mg per night it started to work but now I'm in constant pain during the day and night

Make another appointment with your Gp says what's happening with it

• Posted

I've had to increase my dose because I'm not getting a nights sleep gone from 30 to 40 mg my fingers and legs toes are numb pins and needles
  • Posted

At one point in my bad old days when my anxiety was really bad I was on 150mg per night, I am off it now but still get a few strange moments but thank God I have not have to return to it, still it saved my sanity though.
    • Posted

Glad to hear you are doing better. When you came off them did you get withdrawal symptoms? if so what were they? Claire
  • Posted

Hi just been reading your post and am intrigued, i take Amitriptyline, think this is maybe four months, not sure. I take it mostly for a dual effect, pain which is nearly constant and for dysthymia, it's funny, as in odd, to read it causes pain as its given out to deal with pain (not from your post, the other replies) but i know that i am also a monster WITHOUT the pills. I've spoken with another member who was actually in your position, she said they had a nasty effect on her too, i'm with what Nuggets suggested though, i think you should keep your dr in the loop this way he/ she can make note of whats going on and suggest another medication. If your insomnia is the cause of anxiety as you said, would it not be better to focus on evaluating your sleep routine predominantly? Nick.
    • Posted

Thanks for your response Nick, interesting to hear what you have to say. I am keeping in touch with my Doctor, trouble is I have found that they are all too quick to blame anxiety/depression on any stymptoms rather than the drugs they put you on! Yes I have addressed sleep in the past, but its a bit of a vicious circle.... you worry about not coping if you dont get sleep, so you dont get sleep, so you worry about not coping etc etc... I have found it hard to address that situation! Any suggestions? Claire
    • Posted

Forgive me if this reply upsets you in any way, that's not my inention at all just trying to think about what you said, concluding that that 'you worry about not coping if you don't enough sleep' so the anxiety is linked to that emotional stressor, from this and what you said about 'vicious circle' i gather that you did indeed experience this and have logical tied it in with how many hours of sleep you know you can work on and how many you are getting. This thinking i like and commend you for (that goes without saying people who are emotionally progressive i also have respect for) I think now's the time to maybe introduce a new regime into winding your body down before bed, talk this over with your dr. Set up a system regards to a work out before bed, together with a new medication so you know that you are getting the best out of your new system, check out foods that promote less anxiety, and good sleep, on you tube there are lots of binaural beats to assist with many issues, i am trying myself with a sleep aid beat but its early to give proper conclusion on that to you but i wll let you know how i go, its hard because i am not particulary fond of sound. But i am willing to try anything to aid sleep. Brainmoves type that in with Binaural beats on You tube, also if you want further reading about the topic just use your search engine there are a lot of links http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats to give you a head start, Nick.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, you didnt upset me at all so dont worry. I will look into what you suggested re; sleep. Unfortunately I have had to go back on 10mg again because the withdrawal symptoms were so awful, worse than the initial anxiety I had before I took the drug! Apparently I am very senstive to most drugs! which is not particulalry useful as you can imagine. I am sticking on 10 mg for the moment and hoping the confusion that I currently feel subsides. Let me know how you get on with the sleep stuff I would be very interested. Claire
  • Posted

I would not recommend going off of elavil.  I was on 100 mgs at bedtime for anxiety and insomnia.  I did go off of it slowly but after being off of it for a few weeks I realized that it did help a lot and so now am having a hard time getting back on it as I have to go back from a low dose back up to 100 mgs and it is aweful, especially the dry mouth and not sleeping.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.