Not sure why but...

Posted , 7 users are following.

After 3 months of not drinking I really want to. Keep thinking if I just get a bottle and thats it just one, I know if I did I would want more so I dont but lately its been very hard not too... Why????

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

When you have become addicted to alcohol and try not to drink, the cravings get stronger and stronger. If you read about the research done by Dr David Sinclair (The Sinclair Method) he explains that.

He used a drug called Naltrexone which blocks the pleasure sensors that respond to alcohol. If people drink after taking Naltrexone, they don't get the same 'reward' and therefore their drinking decreases. After a time, they can drink in a controlled way. This process is called 'Pharmacological Extinction' (extinction of the addiction). As long as a person takes a pill before they drink, for the rest of their life, they will be able to keep their drinking under control, once pharmacological extinction has occurred. If they drink without a pill, they will re-learn their addiction.

Recently, a new drug has become available called Nalmefene (Selincro). This is apparently superior, in its effect, to Naltrexone and is more gentle on the liver. Nalmefene was approved for use in England last year and in Scotland the year before. However, its high cost means that it is difficult to get in some areas on the NHS.

It's worth talking to your GP about though.

• Posted

I agree with Paul, Sue. Have a look at Selincro, it's not for everyone but its been a great help for me so far
    • Posted

Thanks.... just trying to find out if you can get it in Canada
    • Posted

Hi Paul, found that really interesting to read. My counsellor has said that I can move from cutting down to abstinence for minimum 2 months and then look at a supported return to controlled social drinking. From what you say though, it sounds like I'll always need naltrexone if I drink. Or is it possible to relearn to be a social drinker if you've proved you can be abstinent. If I could be the person I am on naltrexone for the rest of my life (without actually taking it), i'd be a happy man!
    • Posted

Keith, I answered your other message before seeing the one on this thread.

Have a look at that response, but what I will say is that it sounds like your counsellor doesn't understand the treatment smile They are counsellors and not medical people.

I have just spoken to a client of mine who we are using The Sinclair Method with (using Nalmefene) and she is doing really well. She is drinking a couple of glasses of wine only after having vodka for breakfast, before, and getting through a litre bottle a day! While she is very happy with the results regarding her drinking, it came out, due to questions I asked, that she doesn't want her husband to give her affection, she isn't interested in fussing her dogs and her appetite is poor (which she says she doesn't mind as she wants to lose weight.)

I explained to her that Nalmefene (and Naltrexone) block the opioid receptors which prevents the reward from alcohol, which we want, but also from other endorphin-releasing activities such as strenuous exercise, extreme sports, certain sweet and spicy foods (she loves spicy food), sex, cuddling babies and seeing and playing with cute animals.

In order to avoid blocking the enjoyment of many pleasurable and healthy activities, it is essential that you work towards having days off from drinking and therefore days off from the drug. On those days that you have no Naltrexone or Nalmefene, you will be able to enjoy these other activities and some people say that there is a kick back and those activities are even more pleasurable during a day's break from the drug.

It is too early for you to have days off for now as you need to safely reduce your alcohol intake, but bear this in mind and, later, work towards having some days off from drinking and Naltrexone.

• Posted

I should clarify, she was drinking a litre of vodka before treatment started, not now smile
  • Posted

sue, thought i should apologise as i've just hijacked your post with questions :-)

sounds like you've done great by being abstinent for 3 months. if i think about trying to do that now it fills me with dread so i've got masses of respect for you. 

i read something about a drug called something like campral (? or campranol) being quite good when you're in recovery and i'm sure some people on here might know a bit about it.

good luck & best wishes, keith 

• Posted

Thank you Keith and no need to apologize. Questions are good for everyone that visits here, might just be able to help others.

I will check out campranol

smile

• Posted

Congratulations on 3 months. You've done so well. The mind is complex thing though and 3 months is long enough for the initial novelty and pleasure of abstinence to start to wear off but not so long your mind has forgotten the enjoyment alcohol gave you. Hope that makes sense! I believe in time the whispering voice will get quieter and weaker. Do you have a counsellor or similar support? Best wishes anyway. Please let us know how you're getting on as people on here will be rooting for you and you'll be an inspiration as well
    • Posted

yes I have been to a counsellor... all she talks about is me not smoking, I am now looking for another. I think alot of my problem is bordom. I live alone, no family or friends in the city I live in I only know the people I work with. I have to find a way to get over my shyness and meet people.

Thank you for what you said smile

• Posted

Your counsellor doesn't sound very good. You need someone who will listen to you and offer psychological support. Seems like you're doing pretty well regardless 😀 What's your GP like? Mine referred me to an organisation who support patients and help them get out doing stuff. They're very good but it all depends where you live as to what's available. It's hard to meet people especially when you're feeling vulnerable but keep posting ☺
    • Posted

I apologise to Sue and well done for being abstinent for 3 months.

Keith Campral is very similar to Naltrexone it works with the receptors in the brain. 

• Posted

Hey Radley, and all my friends on this wonderful site.

I am using both Campral and Naltrexone. But about a month and a bit ago, I heard of an organic herb called KUDZU. My DR says to go ahead with whatever if it keeps me from over doing my habit (s) Kudzu is suppose to help with smoking cravings as well - don,t really know about that yet. Someone on here had mentioned it though...time will tell.

So far so good, I've cut back to about 1/4 of what I use to drink. As Paul has mentioned on here several times, it's best to not stop drinking cold-turkey while on these meds, as it could be life threatening.

You will probably not even realize how much you have cut back.

I am a 62 yr old medium build fellow and don't really need to loose weight, but have found that having a meal before drinking is also a very big plus in not wanting a drink. Just feel too bloated to drink.

Hope this helps any one who has troubles with the "booze"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.