Not taking your prescribed Statins May Invalidate your Holiday Insurance

Posted , 5 users are following.

For obvious reasons, to go abroad without Medical Insurance it is not recommended.

If you have a pre-existing medical condition you have to declare it and undergo medical screening which, in itself is not too arduous.  If you don’t declare your pre-existing medical condition and anything happens you are wasting your premium.  Insurance Companies will be reluctant to cover any claim you make.

Even if you declare all pre-existing medical conditions watch out for the clause contained in ALL holiday insurance policies that will invalidate your insurance if you do not take GP prescribed medication.  This includes statins.

For information the clause goes something like this:

“You will not be covered (for various claims including related health claims) if;

At any time any medical condition to which you are not taking the recommended treatment or prescribed medication as directed by a medical practitioner”.

Two option as far as I can see:

1) Ask your GP to remove the recommendation for statins from your medical records.  Very difficult if not impossible with most GP's under the current NICE guidance

2) Try and persuade the Insurance Company that you have a right not to take a particular prescribed drug for a disclosed medical condition. However, I think they will refuse and tell you to find another company to insure your holiday with.

Has anyone had any experience of this dilemma or can offer any advice?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

This would not hold in  a legal battle!

But, the  'control cholesterol with statins' controversy' may make the headlines, one day.

• Posted

Tks for reply but could you say a little more as to what you think the legal argument would be. Interesting.
  • Posted

I had not considered the Statin Factor but you are of course right as insurers will try to get out of any expensive claim. I am completely up the creek as I don't take Warfarin or Metformin either.

As a consultant said to me stick to countries with reciprocal health agreements and don't bother with insurance.

• Posted

Tks for reply. Most insurance policies make it a condition to carry a EHIC card as most private hospitals abroad do not have the facilities to cope with patients who may need surgery.  If you needed repatreation EHIC is no use.  You are on your own and a flight home can be very expensive.
    • Posted

It must be quite a small proportion who require repatriation.

It might even be the case that insurers are already asking people if they take statins and use it as an excuse to load the policy.

To control my BP with two pills a day is OK but if it is three they want another £75 a year on my annual policy.  I thought that I was being truthful when saying that I did not have heart disease but when reading the small print that also included circulatory diseases. I asked if that included my small (3.2 cm) aortic aneurysm and they did not want to insure me. Some quoted £2K for a month in America or £1K for a month in Cuba. The company I had normally insured with just excluded it from the policy for me.

• Posted

They would have to prove that not taking your statins did cause you to make a claim; i.e. if you need medical tratment, this was due to you not taking statins.

Of course, they could refuse to insure you in the first instance, for basically anything.

I have just bought a travel insurance. I was asked whether it had been recommended that I should take statins. I declared 'Yes'. This was built into the premium costs.

• Posted

That should get you a reduction for being a Good Boy.

Someone should make a claim that side effects ruined their holiday.

According to my GP 40% of people either do not take the drugs he prescribes or collect the prescription. 

• Posted

The statins controversy is heating up, I think.

I decided not to take them, because I have not really got a health problem, just a bit higher cholesterol. I did take them for a while, and the side effects were devastating.

I think that many people never make the connection with statins and their aches and discomforts, especially if the 'side effects' are increasing gradually.

Insurance contracts:- it is always better to declare absolutely all and risk a rejection - or high premiums - than to leave something, however trivial, out.

This would immediately invalidate your insurance contract.

• Posted

Absolutely agree.

If you do not declare any pre-existing medical condition the policy could be invalid and you have wasted your premium.

Some medical conditions such as hypertension or high cholesterol are exempt from screening by some insurance companies. However, even with these medical conditions, if a GP at any time has recommended and prescribed medication and you stop or forget to take it, your policy could be invalid.  Obviously depends on the claim being made but if the claim is related, it could be a problem.

Insurance companies are not interested in statins.  Their small print clause applies to any prescribed medication not taken (unless withdrawn by a GP or Consultant).  But with the problems that satins cause some people (including myself) and the blanket prescribing attitude of NICE- NHS that problem is heightened and it becomes very difficult to find a legitimate and clear way forward.

• Posted

Chris, that's great advice and I hope I remember to follow it should I need to travel in the near future. I'm reluctantly on high dose statins for a high cholesterol count and hope to come off it  once I get it lower. Healthy eating ie home prepared and cooked is FAR tastier than ANY pre-prepared meal by .the way smile
  • Posted

I am not being prescribed statins; my GP told me that she should recommend them, because that is what she was supposed to do, but I did not need to take them if I did not want to,

There is a lot of confusion regarding the benefits of statins within the medical profession, I think.

• Posted

To fine a way through this situation, I was advised to ask my GP for a copy of my medical records.  Not a full copy but the same print out they would send an Insurance Company should they request my records.

From this you can then complete your Insurance form with the full knowledge that you are not missing anything or declaring anything not required.

So, contacted my GP's Practice Manager.  Not that easy.  Up pops data protection. They need the request in writing with full reasons for wanting data and the date/periods to be covered.

Depending on date periods there is a charge, starting at £50 and working upwards depending on how far you go back.  Reason for this?  Because Insurance Companies and or their Solicitors ask for everything and therefore the NHS can charge a fee.  They cannot discriminate between a patient request and a Company request.

Yo.  Stitched up again.  Why is everything a battle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.