not want to leave the house

Posted , 13 users are following.

OK theres been so miuch said about how the menapause is affecting us ranging from physical to mental problems, im asking do any of you ever  feel like you dont want to go out anywhere,  even somewhere nice! i dont think ive been out my front gate on my own for at least five years now, i only go out with hubby to the car, walk along to the bank, pop  into a couple of charity shops then home, neighbors have commented about this to each other, whats my problem. going up mums tomorrow to stay for the weekend then home on Monday, love to see her and spend time with her but im glad to be home again.

4 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi!

Not to the same extent, but definitely prefer to stay home more than I used to!  I'm lucky though, as I've always loved sport and nature and being outdoors.  Do you belong to any clubs?  Maybe you could consider joining something you are interested in and see how that goes?  You mite be pleasantly surprised ☺️Xx

• Posted

Yes.... All the time. Recently I have felt better about going out though. As for going away from the house over night that can be an issue, but if it's a hotel or travel lodge/premier Inn I don't mind for one night as long as I have my space should I feel unwell or anxious!!! It's redicilous that I have to think that far ahead but I could not be staying with someone else while going through this. We never know how we are going to feel from one day to the be next! I must be able to take time out for me if not feeling sociable is that wrong?.... I am getting better than what I was, 18 months ago I couldn't even take the fig for a walk 😉 big hugs to you xx
    • Posted

That'll be the " Dog" not "fig" hahahaha! X
    • Posted

Omg that i exactly how I am hate staying away unless I am in a hotel incase I am not feeling good and need my space thought I was going a bit mad.
    • Posted

It's definitely a security blanket thingy!! Hahahaha .... I no longer do or go anywhere I know I will not feel comfortable. Even if it means letting friends down or being a misery! I have to bring my own wellbeing first now and stop pleasing everybody else and meeting their needs as I have always done. Do you know what it's GREAT!!! Being in control & doing what I want to do .... I deserve that while going through this xx
    • Posted

Hiya Travis ,but you had a bit of a break through when you popped to your friends and had glass of wine  just before Xmas ,Try that bit more often ,said you felt bit better .Its pushing oneself to doing things agaiin .Not easy if my balance was good again. I would be lot more confident ,tonight I went to local shop but could feel balance not great ,couldn't wait to get back home again .how long was I out 30 minutes .Thank goodness for on line grocery shopping I say .
    • Posted

Hi Marlene! 😃 💓.... Yes I now go to my friends house no bother now 👍 it's just 100 yards across the road. I can also take the dog round the block more so whe n weather is bad do as to concentrate More on that rather than is my balance going to let me down & it stops me getting anxious. Public transport I cannot see me doing at all, my car or nothing but still don't go into supermarkets on my own as that still leaves me anxious and too many people. If someone stops to talk to me then that is not good as I start to panic and over heat!!! 😳 I think cause I have made such a huge effort to go in I just want to get in and out but it has to be really quiet to even contemplate doing it. How are you doing Marlene? Have you had no let up whatsoever? 😔 xx
    • Posted

Hi no still same old goings on ,I'm still staying local ,you tend to stay within your comfort zone ,all down to this balance we have going on ,I don't do buses ,never have done all ways driven .Never been without a a car .

I go in my local small supermarket,say 3/4 people in there I'm happy with that ,as know time I get to check out there be next to no line .Stupid it truly sounds. But I know you understand when it's an on going issue ,we both would love it gone ,or got this balance looked into ,I'm looking into hydrochloride acid for Eustachian tubes ,just someone with tinnitus and Eustachian blockage brought it up ,never know may help my rhinitis .

Glad your mate lives close by ,give you a break to go have a natter ,like me I have a cousin just a few roads away ..

I'm with you in the standing chatting to people ,exactly me ,when I see cousin in her home she knows my probs as I do hers so it's good in a way Travis ,we both understand how it is for each other ,she's a good soul to .

Well another week all got through .Cant believe how big a problem this is to loads of people but WHY .Wonder if there's one thing in common that we've had ,or done that's brought this about ,but penny not dropped .

You be careful ,keep taking your dog out ,maybe all be gone as it came .

we can but wish it xxx

• Posted

Yes, i went through that ..

Became a recluse, didnt want to go out, and had a feeling of impending doom, like something bad would happen, and anxiety..

it can take over if you let it, so try and go out ..

once you do you wonder why you didnt and actually enjoy it  ..

jay x

• Posted

Jay that stays on my mind!! Doom and gloom, anxiety is terrible. Every pain I have I just assume the worst. It drives me nuts. And I have had this aggravating pain in my upper left side for awhile its kinda freaking me out. sad
  • Posted

Hiya

Funny you should mention this subject, as I only said a couple of hours ago to my husband that I haven't been out much this week (alright, we were out at the time!).  But I think my experience of this is more 'I can't be ar*ed' rather than I lack confidence etc.

I have to say that I spend so much time with my husband (we ran a business together for 22yrs until 18mths ago) other people wonder how we've managed to stay married for 31yrs!. One thing I have noticed tho' is that I only really feel confident when I'm out with him on a night out, say.  I'm not a drinker/dancer etc, so never really go out with a group of women (lost a good few friends due to studying and working so bloody hard, I now realise sad), but I do prefer to be with him in mixed company.

Having not had to work for the past 18mths, I mentioned to me sister that I feel like I've lost a bit of confidence generally, since I'm out of my very busy work environment.  She also said it was probably the peri that wasn't helping. I'm inclined to agree.

I think I'm definitely with Bubbins with regards to joining a club of interest.  You talk about charity shops:  I'm not sure if you work?  My eldest sister is a 'young 71' and volunteers at a charity shop.  She's the 'timid' one of us 5 sibs, and also has a few mental health issues in later life (hence my hatred of SSRIs!!) so uses volunteering as an opportunity to make new friends.  It works really well for her: gives her social interaction a couple of mornings a week and has broadened her social life greatly.

I wonder if you should have a chat with your GP because 5yrs is a long time to have felt like this.  

Maybe if you felt like it, next time you see your neighbour you could mention you're feeling a bit cra**y, thanks to the cra**y menopause.  I'm sure they'll soon start to understand how you're feeling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.