Not working time to withdraw.. help please

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on 150mgs of effexor for 6 weeks n 6weeks 75mgs so totalling 12 weeks on it for panic disorder did nothing for my panic just made it worse.. now the doctor wants me to stop effexor n start 10mg of paxil once I hit 75mgs.. starting at 150mgs going down 37.5 every 4 days.. am I gonna get all these horrible side effects everyone talks about or is 12 weeks not that bad? I have been already been going thru hell from panic for 9 months now.. started with prozac then to lexapro then to effexor now to paxil.. I need some support I'm worn out n mentally tired of all this.. I don't know how much more I can take.. thanks for success stories switching meds from effexor

Thanx in advance smile

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you follow yr doctor's instructions, I think you should be fine. You mght have some withdrawal symptoms for a week, but when the Paxil kicks in, you should fine. Wishing you all sorts of luck with this. Keep us posted about your progress.

• Posted

You might still get the effects but everyone is different. Some lucky people don't seem to suffer at all.

I came down too fast this year and have had a lot of problems but 7 years ago came off it without too much trouble, just some emotional stuff. I've not switched to anything else but hopefully that will help you out.

There's a site called effexor the Road Back which explains what you can do to lessen the effects of withdrawal through supplements and a slow taper. May help you though I'm not sure of the impact of switching to another drug.

• Posted

I hear where you are coming from.   17 years of trying to get the right meds for me.  We are all different.   Hang in there smile

• Posted

Hi renee! because you've only been on it 6 weeks your side effects may not be so bad, is it Effexor or Effexor xr that you are taking? Xr has a 37.5 dosage, I would suggest cutting it down over a week over 4 days, I struggled with the first week off but if you are going onto a different med it may be different. I had been on it around 3/4 months I think on a heavier dose and had terrible side effects, if you can take a few days off when you stop the Effexor I would reccomend, it's not a good drug at all, I was prescribed diazepam to calm me down over a few weeks and zopiclone the initial week I came off.Wish you all the best in your recovery.xxxx

• Posted

Hi Renee

sorry you are having a difficult time ? your doc seems to be speeding through your withdrawal from effexor. I would suggest asking for some diazepam to get you through this period. 14 tabs at 2mg dose means if you feel really bad you can take one to occasionly to help with the worse of withdrawal effects. You may find you feel better when you add another AD to the 75 of effexor. I'm on 75 effexor and 7.5 mirtazipine this combo gave me my health back. I went through 4 ADs before the right combo worked. You will get through this, don't allow yourself to believe you won't. This illness is exhausting and can be long winded, but you will get back to your old self. Some people a fear diazepam as they think they will get hooked on them. I had a small amount of 14 tabs and Ionly took one when I couldn't cope with the impact of extreme withdrawal symptoms. They allowed me to cope and kept my sanity over that period. I didn't get hooked on them, they made withdrawal tolerable ????

• Posted

Hi Renee. I tapered off Ven very slowly but still having withdrawal symptoms. Take 2.5 mgs of diazepam occasionally when things are really bad. Apparently, the neural pathways in the brain, which get altered by antidepressants, can take a long time to repair themselves, and this is what causes the withdrawal effects. Hang in there and keep in touch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.