Not yet diagnosed properly

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi, I'm here because I have suspected glandular fever.

Last Monday night I more or less collapsed into bed freezing, I had to sleep in my clothes and slippers and couldn't move at all, I've never felt exhaustion like it. I thought I was just over tired.

The next morning couldnt move from vbed at all, nor have I been able to stay up all day since. 

My glands are up in my groin, neck, behind my ears and armpits ( I can feel the pain there on and off) and my doctor today confirmed they were all up.

I've had a fever on and off.Sore throat (but not too bad, just sore).

For me it's the exhaustion and gland pains. I also have pain under my ribs, which is something I've never had before.

If I walk to the kitchen to make tea, or attempt to have a bath I'm so exhausted afterwards that I feel like I'm going to die. I get so dizzy and unsteady too sad

I was just wondering if this does sound like glndular fever or just flu? I'm having bloods done on friday.

I've had plenty of flus before, but they've never felt like this sad

1 like, 788 replies

788 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Craig and Jeff, I'm sort of still confused by the blood test thing. I was tested 12days  after I came down with this, so wouldnt it have shown something?

I just wanted to say,I'm feeling horrific again today. My parents made me go for a walk with them by the beach yesterday soI could get sea air, they thought it would do me good.I felt dizzy the whole time. When I got home I had to go to bed because I was tired.

Today my glands are defo back on the left hand side of my neck and I have a bad sore throat. I slept for 15hrs too.Oh and my temperature is high.

I'm panicking, I dont know whats happening.

Even when I've had flus before I've gotten over them quicker and ive been able to do things.

• Posted

Hey Shabs. 

Its hard to understand and I have had issues with that myself. From my informal research, reading, and talks with many many doctors, it seems that mono/gf comes it, sneak attacks your immune system, your immune system fights it off in every part of your body (liver, spleen, brain) and when the mono is gone, your body starts to react to the fight. I talk to someone who had symptoms show up 4 months after having mono. 

Your walk reminded me when I finally got out of bed after 3 weeks. I walked around my apartment building with my son. I did four small laps and almost fell face first into the grass. I was so scared. It almost brings a tear to my eyes because my son, being 4, was so super supportive when others in my family discounted me. He kept pushing me and even said 'its ok daddy, you will get better'... I promise you, my background is no one of being in bed at all! Im a full on hardcore worker, business man and former soldier... this put me down but I feel after 6 months im getting better...

Be patient and if you ever need one on one, it helps! It really helped me.

• Posted

Hey Jeff, aww your son sounds lovely smile 

Well I never knew all this about glandular fever until now. It's a horrible virus, but weirdly fascinating in a weird way, because it's so complex.

I had to call work and tell them the news that I'll be off for at least another 2 weeks. I just hope I get paid for being off :s 

• Posted

Hi everyone. I just wanted to update. I saw a different doctor today and she looked at my results and said my tests showed I had 4weeks ago or something. She either said they showed in my blood that it was in my blood 4 weeks before my blood test, or that I had my tests 4weeks ago.

I had a quick glance at the computer when she was talking and I could see positive next to the results, couldn't see the rest of what it said though.

• Posted

Shabby,

That's a good thing if the test showed positive 4 weeks ago, because it confirms that the way you have been feeling is because of glandular fever / mono and not something else.

This period is a very scary one, as Jeffrey says I remember it well too, feeling totally not like myself and so exhausted and drained and just generally unwell without being able to pin point exactly how or why.

All these feelings are very normal with glandular fever, as are the enlarged and painful glands, so as horrible as the whole thing is, I don't want you worrying about it all - you should let your mind be settled that you know it is mono you have had if it showed positive 4 weeks ago and just remember it takes a while to recover from. I went through all the same emotions and horrible feelings Shabby, I wouldn't wish it on anyone and am definitely thinking of you, but the great news is that it doesn't last forever and even if it takes a few months or whatever you will recover and get back to full health - hard to accept when going through it I know, patience is soo hard and it's soo frustrating - just take it one day at a time and deal with getting through it all and getting plenty of rest and taking some good vitamins and immune boosting herbs.

Hang in there - you WILL get there I really do believe that.

Craig

• Posted

Hey Craig smile Thank you for replying again,you've been so very helpful.

I just don't know why the young doctor I saw at first said I'd had it in the past and I may have just had a virus. I sort of refused to believe that though as I know in my heart it was mono. 

My mum is confused by what different doctors have said too, as one said I had it in the past and the one I saw today said I have it now. Unless another test result came back afterwards, I doubt it though.

I'm taking my usual vitamins, but when I have some spare money I'll buy some more smile 

It's such a rubbish virus. Whats weird is how it lingers, you get moments when you think you might be ok, and then it will hit you again.

Thank you smile

• Posted

HI there, I wanna make it clear for you!

Immunoglobulin G (IgG), the most abundant type of antibody, is found in all body fluids and protects against bacterial and viral infections.(post-acute)

Immunoglobulin M (IgM), which is found mainly in the blood and lymph fluid, is the first antibody to be made by the body to fight a new infection.(acute phase)

Antibodies responsible for the diffuse staining pattern (EA-D)

If IgM is positive, you might be in the early stage or in the acute phase! so the active infection!

If VCA-IgG e EA-D IgG are positive, probably you're infected by the EBV or you recently had an infection!

If VCA-IgM is negative but you have VCA-IgG e EA-D IgG & EBNA positive, then you probably have had the infection in the past!

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I couldn't actually see the doctors computer screen very well. But I saw positive next to whatever she was looking at. She was looking at the Mono results anyway, I'm just not sure which result.

Looks like I have it for sure anyway. 

Thanks for clarifying for me smile

• Posted

HI shabby, no worries!!! I hope you gain your forces soon! just stay on the bed as much as you can! 😀

• Posted

Hey Shabby,

I understand it really is a frightening thing to go through, because you are dealing with all sorts of physical, mental and emotional symptoms at the same time. Whilst I'm afraid I don't have the same skills as Mono in interpreting blood test results, I definitely think you should be reassured and put your mind at rest that it does appear to be mono, because it gives an explanation to why you have been feeling so unwell and it makes sense, and we know from the wealth of experience on here that what you are going through is the worst phase and that you will recover and get stronger and fully healthy again.

So my main message to you today, and I know it's far far easier said than done, is to do your best not to worry! It's hard to accept when going through I know, if you are able to just live a simple life with plenty of rest and vitamins and reducing stress then you are doing everything you can. But also do things to take your mind off it, whilst not overdoing things it's still good to see friends and do things that help you relax - too much time at home and to think is not always good - you need that when recovering unfortunately but still try to get some fresh air so long as you're not overdoing it.

Things are going to get much better for you Shabby, I really believe that without any doubt!! Just so sorry you've had to go through this just now but you will definitely get over it and have lots of good times to look forward to again once through this difficult period.

Take care and remember you can message any time not feeling great.

Happy New Year to you when it comes - this will be the year when things get better (but again patience is the key if it doesn't come right away it doesn't mean it won't come - it can be normal to take a bit of time).

Craig 

• Posted

Thank you Craig. Thank you for your well explained replies smile

I had a very bad day today, slept most of it though. The mental part of the virus is really shocking, something I didn't expect. 

I'm very sensitive to noise as well. 

I hope you have a Happy New Year smile 

• Posted

Hi Shabby,

Oh Happy New Year to you also, it might not start off great with this horrible virus but it will get better trust me so it will be a good year given a bit of time!

Yes the mental part is very hard to deal with, I found it exactly the same because you don't know what's happening to your body and why and when it will stop and it is very frightening. Rest assured though that all this will pass, this is the worst phase just now and hopefully once the spring comes in again you will be certainly starting to feel more like yourself again, the winter is hard to get through also.

Thinking of you and remember not to lose hope because things are going to get better for you this year smile

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig 

I just wanted to thank you for all your kind words on here to me and everyone else as I still read them from time to time when I'm feeling low. The past couple months I've really improved energy wise but recently been diagnosed with tonsillitis and it's like I've come crashing down and back to square one when I was kinda nearly having normal life apart from being able to exercise like I used to. I just am scared of this tonsillitis affecting my recovery! 

I hope you are doing very well and I hope you're having a brilliant start to your new year! 

Many Thanks for all your help over the past few months,

Georgie smile x

• Posted

Hi Shabby,

I'm so so sorry you're experiencing these horrible thoughts, as I too went through all of these horrible depressive episodes and was considering anti-depressants myself but the support of others and amazing people like Craig will honestly get you through it all. You are way stronger than you think and don't let this virus ruin your life as you life is way way way more than that! 

Happy New Year,

Georgie smile x

• Posted

Hi Georgie,

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate them, and I'm sorry to hear that tonsillitis has hit and is making you feel unwell again. This will just be a blip, overall it's positive that you had been feeling on the road to recovery, sometimes because your system is hit so hard with glandular fever then other things can hit when recovering, but be assured it won't de-rail your overall recovery, this I hope and believe will just be a short term thing, it must be so frustrating I know I'm really thinking about you and do still fully believe you will recover completely and get back to your exercise again in time.

Hang in there, take things slowly and continue to listen to your body - you are definitely on the right road Georgie and it shows me how lovely a person you are that despite not feeling well yourself you have taken the time to come on here and given kind words of hope and encouragement to others. You WILL get better, and this WILL be a much better year for you, keep believing smile

Take care and thinking of you

Craig

• Posted

Hi Georgie, I've only just noticed your message 😬 I know Craig has been so amazing, he's a blessing to this forum smile

I hope you're better after having GF.

Happy belated new year to you too and to everyone in here smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.