Nothing but bad luck with my ankle.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been dealing with chronic ankle problems since April of 2015 when I fractured the talus, it wasn't treated properly and it lead into a long nightmare.

I had surgery on it last summer, the surgery left me with partially paralyzed toes, no cause has been found.

2 accidents during recovery ultimately led to a revision surgery this past May, it was partially successful.

I live in chronic pain due to a split tear in one of the main tendons of the exterior ankle(not sure which one), and a major amount of scar tissue.

I was told that things would not improve, there's nothing else to be done besides pain management.

The other day I walked into a box on the floor with my bad foot. Pain shot through the repaired ligament and through the talar dome region.

My dr yesterday was concerned that I might have damaged the surgical repair, but didn't say anything about the talar region.

He did notice the unusual amount of swelling through my foot and suggested I call my surgeon and go see him.

It feels like the extensor tendon in the talar region is damaged, that's where the most pain is.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's nothing serious as I am moving in less than 2 weeks and can't afford to be in pain.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kristina,

So sorry to hear of your tale of woe since your ankle injury.

Your issues are so complex and involved that my ankle fracture/sprain pales in comparison.

Hopefully you are in the hands of a sharp, skillful, and compassionate doctor. If not, you know that you are always entitled to get a second opinion.

Your recent accident involving the box on floor made me wonder what footwear and other protection (brace, orthotics, etc.) you are employing to help protect ankle from further insults. If you are not protecting foot and ankle that is risky.

I wish you a full recovery.

• Posted

I have a special brace I wear, but only when I go out.

I see my surgeon next week, but I was advised to wear my aircast until then to keep it protected.

Hopefully he decides to dig deeper into this than the emergency room did yesterday. X-rays don't show soft tissue which is what we're concerned about.

• Posted

The move went well, but unfortunately the pain hasn't gone away, and swelling comes and goes.

I go Thursday for the ultrasound results, no idea what's going to happen there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.