Nothing is stopping my diarrhoea

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had IBS for over 2 years now, the first year was really hard but I eventually cut out all meat (except from fish, mainly just tuna) and I also cut out all dairy products. Since then my IBS had been so great for the majority of the time, sometimes it would act up but I could handle it and wasn't afraid to leave the house. Now for some reason over the last 5 weeks, every time I go for a poo it's always diarrhoea and I can never predict when it will come, making me terrified to leave the house again. Nothing in my diet had changed when this started, I go for regular long dog walks so I do get some exercise during the day. I recently joined the gym and have been going twice a week, I actually joined around the time the D started. I have tried eating very bland and minimally throughout the day and nothing has worked. It's starting to make me incredibly miserable, and I'm going to be starting uni soon, which is making my anxiety about my IBS worse. I don't want to take loperamide every day because I'm scared that my body will get used to it and it will have no effect. Every time I have D (which is daily) I want to cry. I started taking a probiotics supplement yesterday because I heard they can help with IBS and diarrhoea symptoms, but I don't have much hope. Can anybody help me?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear poor you! You need to see about taking something else or discover why your ibs has changed. See someone as a matter of urgency?  Good luck  I don't think worrying will help your ibs though. 

• Posted

So sorry to know you are suffering.  Have you tried Imodium for the d?  I have IBS-a which means that I may get a surprise every time I go to the bathroom.  I've used Imodium for d and MiraLax for c.

Sounds like you are doing everything right.  Have you been under more stress lately?  That can make IBS much worse.

Good luck and my best wishes that you find a solution.

• Posted

Are you under more stress? What exercise do you do at the gym? I find I often get d after a heavy workout, it is actually very normal biologically. Have you seen your gp? You need a test for inflammation to check for IBD
  • Posted

Starting university is a likely cause of your flare up.  It is a stressful time. Don't be afraid to try Imodium short term to control the diarrhoea. If it constipates you, reduce the dose or stop it for a while and take fruit to help your bowel to move normally again..  Imodium worked for me during my diarrhoea flare up in July.   During my flare up, I stopped fruit to try and calm my bowel down and then I reintroduced it slowly after using Imodium.  It was a difficult balancing act because the fruit ran straight through me a week after the initial diarrhoea stopped. Then everything went back to normal. You could also ask your doctor for codeine which controls diarrhoea and which also worked for me. 

Although you are eating bland foods, it is possible that one or more of them is triggering symptoms.  Try a food diary to see if you have a problem food.  Anxiety will be making the diarrhoea worse.  My IBS D flare up started because of a sudden spike in anxiety.  Try distraction techniques like listening to music or some other hobby you enjoy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.