Noticing more and more symptoms, should i be worried or am i just being overly dramatic?

Posted , 5 users are following.

As i have previously stated in other posts, i am very recently diagnosed with CFS/M.E. Struggling to get the correct treatment and hold down a full time job etc. I have noticed of recent other symptoms which i have either never previously had, or not had often enough to cause me concern. I get regular periods of dizzy spells much more than ever before and i'm noticing that sometimes i just forget how a word is spelt or pronounced or what something is called. Most worryingly for me is that i get the shakes which i have never previously noticed- at least not to this extent. I've had it crop up occasionally but its gotten noticeably more frequent and quite bad at times. My hands are usually where i get the bad shakes. My heart palpitations (which i LOATHE!) have come back quite badly too, and when i have the shakes my heart flutters like mad. I've just had yet another full round of bloods tested and still come back all normal (Hence the CFS/M.E diagnosis. It's taken many years to even get to the point of diagnosis and now i'm fighting a whole new battle just to understand my symptoms and the condition itself. I'm 25, i feel like i'm 75 some weeks. Are any of my symptoms just standard for some with M.E or does anyone think it could be something else/different??

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, these are classic signs of anxiety which is common in ME. The brain fog is made worse when under stress and when you have ME stress can be related to very minor things. For example if someone gives me a date for an appointment i start to panic that I have to write it down and by the time i start writing I can't remember it.

My experience is that you have to treat the symptoms of ME as there is no cure all. I hate mindfulness but it works for some. I found seeing a psychologist very helpful. Be organised, keep lists, spread the load.

• Posted

I have just started CBT therapy, so i'm hoping that might help my mind set. Thats like talking therapy i think, so almost like seeing a psych. Thank you for your advice smile
  • Posted

Hi Sarah-loui 

I have the same issues amongst others. for me the shakes and dizzyness get worst as the day progresses usually always with muscle weakness and when I push myself to do more. I've the same cognitive issues reglardless of the time of day but also gets worse the more tiered I get.  as a child I used to stutter, I learnt how to control the stuttering with concerntration.  

But as you probably guessed- I am back stuttering as an adult.    

I think humaour is a great thing, my wife and my friends are very supportive. and if I cannot think of the word or find an alterative then the word becomes Bob. easy to remember and impossible to stutter. :-)

if your still worried then do get it checked out.

• Posted

I like the idea of adding humour to lighten the mood- i think i will try that next time!! Thank you very much andrew 08416 smile
  • Posted

Sarah

What you are describing are the standard symptoms that most of us suffer from, in some degree or another, and they will increase in severity the more that you do.

I think the main advice that all of us here would give would be to start giving up some of the things you do and learn to take things a good deal more easy. 'Battling on' and 'working through it' don't work with ME/CFS and if your symptoms are getting worse it's a sign that you're overdoing it...

I've had this condition for about fifteen years and I'm still learning about it but one thing I know, you need to find a level plateau at which you can function optimally and then not stretch yourself beyond what works for you and make your symptoms worse and that way you have a good chance of some slow improvement.

It will take time though and you'll have peaks and troughs en route but pacing and rest are your best friends, and physical and mental stress your worst....

• Posted

Thank you so much for your helpful advice and experiences artistmike. I know i have a long road ahead of me now, it's just finding what does and doesnt work for me. I really do appreciate the sound advice you gave me, it has given me food for thought for sure smile
  • Posted

Hey, I am sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time.  I have all your symptoms.  If your tests came back normal, then you are probably over doing it.  Pushing yourself through will just make you sicker over time.  I pushed through for 10 years, trying to maintain a full time job, until I crashed.  Now I am nearly bed-bound.  Personally, I would suggest slowing down and possibly working fewer hours so that you can rest more often.  I know that is a terrible thought, but I am worried that if you don't take time to rest, and push yourself harder and harder as your body is telling you to stop, you might end up like me, stuck staring at four walls everyday.  Regardless of what you do, I do hope that you feel better.  This disease is a nightmare, and I wish you every good thing to help you get better.
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind supprtive words Ravenwood. I think my problem is that i am far too afraid of peoples reactions towards me if i speak up about how much i am struggling. I dont push my GP enough when i go to him about struggling to keep up full time work. The idea of being signed off sick is something he is not willing to do for me, he says it would only make my mental state worse and make me think i was in an "I'm ill" category in life. I can assure anyone that i would rather not be seen as "ill", but regardless of that he doesn't seem to think taking any time out from my job would benefit me. I feel i cant contest what he says, or push harder for how i know i am feeling. It's the same with my bosses at work. They are very supportive, but due to me having so many "sick" days, i get far too worried abput speaking up now and telling someone if i'm having a bad day, or struggling half way through the work day and need to go home or take a break. Even now, I'm sat at my desk typing away, it's only 2hours into my working day and my hands are now cramping up, having muscle spasms. My arm pain is kicking in now along with the tingling. I am using a hot water bottle to try to combat the pain but that helps very little. And i feel like i've not slept well in weeks, which isn't far off the truth! I just hope i can find some energy from somehwere for Xmas day!
    • Posted

Sarah, change your doctor ! ... He has a ridiculous and out-dated attitude that will only make you a great deal more ill, so try to find a doctor locally that knows what they are talking about and will be sympathetic to your condition.

I would make that a priority above everything else. With support from a good doctor you'll find it far easier to deal with friends, family and above all work.... At the moment all you seem to be doing is being forced to make your health worse, which isn't the way it should be....

You should not be apologising to anyone for being ill and you badly need support but it's up to you to create the environment whereby you receive that support, and don't tolerate a doctor who doesn't know his job, there are some good ones out there who will help... :-)

• Posted

I agree.  A new doctor is needed.  You should have a medical professional who is behind you 100% and who you can talk to with all frankness.  Also, for the job:  I found that crying on my boss's desk did wonders for his believing me when I said I was sick and getting sicker.  I'm not kidding.  Took care of the whole problem.  From that point on, he was totally on my side.  Now admittedly it was a bit embarrassing in the aftermath, but I had felt so bad that that was all I was able to do.  Sigh.  Anyway, take care of yourself.  Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.