Now a worrying 6 month wait....

Posted , 4 users are following.

My daughter who is 13.5 has recently been diagnosed.She has a 38 degree thoracic curve with a compensatory lumber curve.

Weve been told to go back in 6 months to see how things are.Surgery is recommended if curve is 45 degrees or over.Theres about 6 vertebrae which have also rotated causing her rib cage to be misplaced on her right side which sadly is really quite noticeable.I just wondered if the amount of rotation and the cosmetic factor is also taken into account or do they just look at the curve?Shes not getting any pain but is aware that her back doesnt look normal and is worried despite me trying my hardest to reassure her.The doctor said that her Risser score is a 4.Everything Ive read seems to say that curves over 30 degrees seem to be more likely to progress so Im very anxious about the future.

Any thoughts appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had my surgery done when I was only 11. My parents were concerned about my being so young, but they were told that any delay would cause me to get a lot worse. If her curve is already that noticeable, I personally would at least want a second opinion. 
  • Posted

Hi , from what I know , it’s sound like she does not have much growth left if she is Reisser 4 , I’m not a doctor though. My daughter is similar age and Reisser 0 . She does Schroth which has been good to rebalance her posture . Think it is also good in maintains flexibility . Hope that helps
  • Posted

Thank you Margaret and Stevie.

Agree with what you say and will just have to see what happens to these curves in 6 months.At this stage I think any Dr will just 'watchful wait'.

Dr didnt advise brace or any physical therapy in the meantime.

My main point is that the Drs tend to look at tbe angle before deciding on treatment but surely the amount that the spine has rotated and therefore the cosmetic appearance should also be taken into account.My daughters curve is 38 degrees which from what Ive read is just 2 degrees off a severe scoliosis but by the cosmetic appearance and xray the spine seems severely rotated which affects her appearance more.

Im sure we will get a second opinion as the decisions taken are so important.I just wish the doctors would look at all aspects of my daughters scoliosis and not just the degree of curve.

• Posted

Please don't just wait - risser 4 means short window of time left before the bones harden off - this is the time to try to at least slow down progression if not halt it. My son diagnosed at 13 wears brace plus does Schroth. Brace helped to slow progression but the Schroth helped the most. Please make sure you get a certified schroth therapist - this is not the same as regular physio - it will be targeted to your kids curves - they will need her xrays. This can't do any harm - they will help her build muscles to create her own internal brace. Will reduce pain and she will feel more confident in her appearance. Please look into it - must be dedicated to doing the exercises EVERY DAY and may need some equipment at home but this works when properly done. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.