Now I have osteoporosis!

Posted , 11 users are following.

When first diagnosed with pmr 3 years ago my bone density showed osteopenia and my rheumatologist wanted me on fosamax. AFTER 3 weeks I couldn't STAND IT AND my BITE AND TEETH MOVED. So I STUCK WITH THE CALCIUM BUT NOT MUCH VIT d. The hip bursitis was really troublesome before I was diagnosed with pmr; I had many steroid hip injections.

Yesterday my bone density showed the above diagnosis. I HAVE BEEN TAKING THE MICRONUTRIENT protocol as described in a successful study which actually reversed osteoporosis after one year. I have only been trying that protocol for less than 6 months with my rheumy's approval. NOW i am wondering if I should try FORTEO or just continue with the protocol . I am exercising as much as I can with the easy fatiguability. I am tapering to 8.5 currently.

There was a period of time when I COULD HARDLY EXERCISE BECAUSE OF bilateral bursitis and reactive airway disease.

ANY ideas?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i was just prescribed alendronate 70 mg to take 1 time a week. i do not plan on taking it until i research it more. any thoughts?

• Posted

i should add generic fir fosamax

• Posted

Refuse to take it until you have had a dexascan and know if you need it now - if you have normal range bone density you don't. If it does fall while on pred that MAY change but despite what the company that markets it says, it should NOT be used prophylactically. There is a lot of good info to be found over on the HealthUnlocked PMRGCA forum - especially today's posts!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.