Now my other shoulder is freezing!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been dealing with a frozen right shoulder for around a year and now my left shoulder is becoming frozen.  For those who are dealing with two frozen shoulders, do you have any idea why it happened in your case?  I'm 47, not diabetic or premenopausal and am trying to get some clue as to why this is happening.  So frustrating to know that it will be a long time before it resolves, and there's always the worry that it won't completely resolve.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Both of my shoulders have FS, I lost ROM in one and the other just sore.  When doing my PT i work them both.

My Ortho said its common for women entering or just finishing menopause to come down with this condition.  For me, I was working out too much and triggered this condition, along with being perimeopausal.

Going forward, I have realized that I need to lightly stretch my muscles, if i'm going to work out and be kinder on myself.  

I have made very good progress since june, with a cortisone shot in august and PT at the clinic and home.  Patience is what they tell you- and doing your exercises.

Are you doing PT?

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue, sorry that you are dealing with this too.  I did 12 PT sessions and it didn't help, it only made my ROM worse for a while.  I do some exercises at home but at this point I think time will heal it more than anything else.

• Posted

Big bummer. I am concerned that it will happen to me. I have my left one frozen, but I use my right arm seriously for my work and if it happens to the right shoulder then I am basically out of a job. Do you do heavy exercise with your arms/shoulders? I don't know why mine froze but i do know that I do lots of weights, planks, handstands and other things so perhaps my shoulder did not like the over exercisting. I really don't know.

• Posted

Laura, I wouldn't blame yourself or your exercising for your frozen shoulder! I am a yoga teacher and have been doing planks etc for 7+ years with no issue...and then suddenly frozen shoulder! I think in my case it is heavily related to hormonal shifts. What frustrates me is that because so little seems to be known about this, that then the blame seems to shift to those that are suffering...."you did too muc"h, or "you quit moving your arm and now it's stuck". BS in my opinion! smile

• Posted

Yeah, the hormonal thing makes sense.... but really we got no proof. I am 53 and starting menopause.  Nasty thing to happen to us all but made me think about life differently.
  • Posted

I have recently felt my other shoulder developing the same symptoms too! I went in earlier this time and requested an ultrasound guided cortisone shot in the hopes of stopping the progression in the second shoulder...we will see. I have started an anti-inflamatory diet, have PT exercises for both shoulders, taking 1,000 mg high quality fish oil,drinking tumeric tea....basically trying any anti-inflammatory action that I can!

I am also pursuing some hormone treatments with help from an integrative physician to see if I can balance out my hormones a bit (Perimenopausal at this point/age 54) to see if that will help. As a yoga teacher, it is a big problem for me to lose the ability to simply raise my arms overhead, etc! I continue to be frustrated with how little seems to be known about this issue!!

I wish you luck. This forum is helpful, as it can feel like you are all alone in your struggle sometimes.

• Posted

Mine started with a injury. Suffered many years.

im in the US. 8 months ago I received a Xiaflex injection which breaks up the collagen that binds the facia tissue in the shoulder and capsule causing FS. 

After a week back to doc for manipulation and week or two ot therapy. I now have fulL ROM..

also manipulation can be done under sedation if xiaflex not approved in your neck of the woods.

• Posted

Glad you got results with the Xiaflex. When I asked about it with my orthopedist (also in the US) he indicated that the drug was only approved for certain issues in the hand etc and he worried that breaking up too much of the collagen could result in damage to the shoulder joint. Different opinions I guess and maybe something that will get more research as it sounds like it worked well in your case!
  • Posted

Hi Jill - that's about the timeline that my second shoulder started too, while my FS was getting lots of ROM back finally. Absolutely no reason for the second shoulder to act up other than I fit the demographic. Like Karenus, I had a guided cortisone shot right away, and that has seemed to have halted the process. Whew. It still has some pains occasionally, but isn't freezing up. Liane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.