Now on very strong anti biotics

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone

How everyone is ok.

Sorry I have not been about but there is a good reason. Things have got worse for me the last week or two. Nether my own GP , nurse or the hospital were listening to me about the pain and swelling in both my legs;.

So I called the out of hours GP today and he paid me a homje visit after I explained that I thought I had cellulitis. He came took one look at my legs, Ankles and feet and said I agree with you. I have now been put on a two week course of very strong antibiotics and I have just taken the second one and already things are getting better. There is still a long way to go to get all the swelling down but at least it is now going.

I see my consultant on Monday and I don't think he is going to be too pleased when I tell him what has been missed for so many weeks. I just hope my hip has not become infected.sad

4 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Jeez Hailea, whennit rains it pours huh?

Are you sure you're not the lady that arrived in hospital the day I was released though? She too had sent it a list of medications that she didn not want. Ever. She had had her other hip and both knees done already and was in for the other hip now and knew exactly which meds didn't agree with her. Guess what happened... She had to argue her way to ALL replacements nedicines as the list never made it to the ward. She was furious and rightfully so.

Guess I'm lucky, maybe the chemo taught my body to handle pretty much any drug. Well aside from the prednison causing AVN that is.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery and the invention of sensibility and sensitivity tablets for doctors... ☕️

• Posted

Hi am6ft8

Thank you yes. Things have got worse since my hip op 12 weeks ago and they got far worse after the anticolagulants were given to me in A & E 4 weeks ago. They will NOT be giving those to me again. I am usually pretty good with most meds. I only have 4 on my list I have found I can't have and that was through trial and error.

Nope not me  lol. But I do have a very short list of meds that I can not take and they are on a meds App on my phone so are always with me.

I have in the past had some really bad experiences with GPs and hospitals. I just do not trust them. If they give me meds I ask what they are before I will take them. I refuse for them to just do things they think they shiould without consulting me. I fight my own battles don't need a guy to step in. Had enough experience to know how to talk to them and make them understand I am no push over.

Oh you had chemo. I am sorry to hear that. I know that can be hell on earth also. I hope everything is going ok for you.

• Posted

I am Hailea, hear me roar! 😉

Yeah, had chemo in 2011 to get rid of Hodgkin's lymphoma. Doing well now, though the drawbacks are there. My overall fitness never got back to full, more to say 80%, I have neuropathy in my left hand's pinky, ring finger and middle finger and in both my feet (funstanding on ine leg when the soles of your feet don't tell you you're starting to fall over...) and a sudden appearance of (mild though) sun allergy. On my lower arms. And of course, from the Presnison, I was also given AVN of both hips last year. Well before that, but obvious last year.

So, outlived the cancer, got a bunch of other things in return for it. None that I can't live worh though. All better than the alternative. And so far so ggood on the checkups, it's in every 6 months at the moment and waiting for blod results is the longest wait. So all in all, I'm not doing badly 😊

Just have to make sure to mark which part of the hospital I need to go for checkups from now on 😁

• Posted

I am glad thing are going well for you. Even if not 100% it is better than nothing. I lost my mum to cancer almost 20 years ago because her GP kept saying it was sciatica so she didn't get treatment in time. This is one of the many reasons I just do not trust medical people.

Yeah as for the check ups I have got to know my hospital so well I can tell folk where to go. It's really funny.cheesygrin

I have had so many x rays I don't need a costume on halloween. I glow in the dark lol

• Posted

I can identify with u so much & everybody on this page. I'm going for a 2nd opinion because my surgeon didn't fill me with confidence & I told him so & he recommended I look for a website that is specifically for young people with hip replacements. Wow little did I know how much there's so many people out there feeling exactly the same. I'm for my 2nd opinion on 22nd of this month but gonna ring tomorrow in case there's a cancellation in the meantime. I had a traumatic amputation age 7, breast cancer age 38 & now this. One hip & 2nd within a year. . I must be the cat with 9 lives. I don't even like cats 😱 take care & keep posting.. We're all here for each other
    • Posted

Dearest Gossip ... I admire you so much .... you are an amazing soul ...

sending you love and light -

bless you 

renee

• Posted

Hi hailea! Poor you! Hope as each day goes things will improve. Regards Amanda
  • Posted

Sorry you have had to go through all that. At least the antibiotics are working. Hope the swelling continues to go down rapidly!
  • Posted

Hi again Hailea I suffer with chronic foot ulcers & get cellulitis on & off. Make sure the doc takes into account any underlying conditions u may have. Are u diabetic? I'm not but due to a childhood traumatic accident I regularily have ulcers & cellulitis. It can be so painful & I'm sure after Ur hip done it's not helping the recovery. That's one of the worries I have going in to have my op done. Thinking of u x
    • Posted

Hi Gossip

Sorry for the late reply..

No I am not diabetic. I am usually fit as a butchers dog till after I had my hip done then Igot loads of complicatiopns some of which  I don't rvrn think are conected to havimng the op done. I am going for a doplar scan tomorrow to make double sure the leg swelling isn't that as wellmy surgeon has arranged it after seeing him yesrterday ( Monday ) am now dreadding having the other hip done but I can't have it done till all these other problems are looked into and I ame stable as I was befoire the left  hip was done.

• Posted

Best of luck today when u go for Ur scan. Keep us posted on ur recovery. X
  • Posted

Hi Hailea ....good luck today - it will be good to have the scan done and get more clarity in what is going on and what can be done - is there someone going with you? 

remember that you don't have to please anyone okay? you are doing your best ..

let us know what happened -

take care and be kind to your self ... 

warm hug

renee 

• Posted

Thank you renee x

Ok the resuilt is not DVT so that is good. Came home from the hospital and my other 1/2 had bought me an early birthday present. It is a foot massager that also gets your blood circulated. Going to try it tomorrow.

I have to say after spending another 4 hours flat on my back with my legs higher than my heart. The swelling is a lot less. Thepain in my right knee has almost gone. But I found out why. The antibiootics I am / was taking have this side affect of causing rashes, swelling and causing joints to become very painful. So I have stopped those and will be picking up some new ones in the morning from my GP..

There is still quite a bit of swelling in my right thigh, I am hoping these new antib iotics will do the trick of getting rid of the celulitit and I can then be better when I see my surgeon again next week. He was shocked when he saw me yesterday and he wants to do blood tests to see if there are any other underlying issues. I am really scared of  needles but if I really have to do this to get better and find oiut what is going on I have too and I have my own way of doing it now whicjh means I don't see of feel anything. My surgeon suggested it when I was on the ward and it worked. I just hope that this will once and for all get to the bottom of the issue. But at least I don't have DVT.

• Posted

Hailea that's wonderful news that it's not dvt. At least Ur consultant is erring on the side of caution & ruling out anything else that could be an underlying problem. Please God all will go well. I don't have a fear of needles but my daughter aged 19 has (she's training to be a nurse!!!) Its best to have all these tests done early. Keep those feet & legs up as much as u can & drink lots of fluids. As a sufferer of cellulitis regularily I know that sensation when Ur skin is burning, swollen & feeling like Ur skin is going to burst open. Sending u lots of well wishes. 
    • Posted

Hi Gossip

I have had loads of tests for DVT via the doplar scan over the lasat few years and for different operations and they have never found anything. I feel I am waising the radiographers time but they always say I am not. I will be seeing my consultant again next Thursday.

Good news is the swelling is going down and the pain in my knee has almost gone so I am at last able to walk a little. I am going to go try out my circulation plus machine now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.