Now what do I do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I bet everyone is so sick of me with yet another post.

I just don't know what to do anymore will this horrible depression ever end!!

After the mirtazapine caused such anger after 10days i stopped last night, but now what do i do?

I have tried so many antidepressants either got bad side effects or they didn't work, try another then same again. But when will it ever end.

Please help i feel i just can't cope anymore.

Butterfly x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello Butterfly. I feel for you. I myself have depression and anxiety and although I feel that it will never end I hope that there will be a solution. I was put on medication which made me feel sick it's such a pain when this happens but I am perserveering with it. I hope you will find a solution for your depression by talking to people like us I hope it will help me. I never think that depression is taken seriously enough by the medical profession so please keep perseveering. best wishes 
    • Posted

Hello,

Thank you for your message. It's a horrible illness isn't it & people just don't understand do they unless they have suffered themselves. Not to mention the side effects from meds on top of this!

Can i ask what medication you are on & how you are getting on with it?

Butterfly x

• Posted

Hello 

I have been put on Diazepam and Fluoxetine both 20mg . Although I was told that the Diazepam is very addictive so they only gave me two weeks worth then i have to see the doctor again. Can I ask if you are working? I find this a main stress and worry as I have a mortgage and I don't want my depression/anxiety to affect my work. I have also been referred for counselling is this something you would do? I am very scared to do it but I feel that it may help me. I used to work very late nights and at different times to my fiance and this made me very lonely but now I work normal hours so we are together in the evenings, do you have a good support system? I have felt quite drowsy too so i don't know if it is much of the same with other meds? 

Lor x

• Posted

Hello Butterfly1,

I really know how you are feeling and yes it is so, so horrible.  I too came to the end of the road with antidepressants having tried them all.  My psychiatrist didn't  know what to do with me so I decided to look closely at nutrition and supplementation with vitamins, minerals and fish oils.  I read that magnesium oil skin spray can have a similar action to lithium. In the past I have taken lithium and it really helped my depression but caused hair loss so I came off it.  However for 4 months I have used magnesium oil and oral vit d spray religiously.  For 3 months I have not had a depressive episode at all and my pms has improved hugely.  I realise this approach may not be for everyone and each individual should do their own research. For me to go so long without a depressive episode whilst being med free is unheard of. 

I've still had feelings of sadness now and again but not the crippling depression I'm used to having. If you are able to get hold of some magnesium and give it a try I highly recommend it. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi

have you tried 5htp? I am going to try this once of mirt I have read some good things about it

G

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you for replying.

No i haven't gone down the route of herbal & i'm not really in a position to afford this ( silly i know ) but they can become very expensive can't they & i struggle as it is, with being off sick. I have tried cbt & didn't really find it helped me if i'm being honest.

I really don't know what to do. Has anyone heard good reports or had good results from anything the gp has prescribed?

Thank you 

Butterfly x

• Posted

First I would go back to the GP and see if there's something you haven't tried yet.  Examples maybe the older generation of ADs such as Amitryptalin etc. or one of the slightly more unusual ones such as Venlafixaine or Pregabalin.

With Sertraline can I ask did it not work or were you just unable to stand the startup side effects.  It sounds to me like you are very sensitive to meds (as I seem to be).  When I started Sertraline recently I started on 12.5mg (a 1/4 of the standard 50mg tablet).  My GP also prescribed me some 2mg Valiums to cover any increase in anxiety to be needed when desperate (I ended up taking one of them to help me sleep one day).  I guess what I'm trying to get at is that if you're sensitive to meds and struggle to get beyond the first couple of weeks, you need to be discussing with your GP a strategy for how to a) minimise side effects and b) be more able to cope with them.

Hope this is of some help, I know you've been having a tought time the last 10 days or so.

• Posted

Hello Clarkio,

Thank you very much for your message and i have found it helpful.

Yes i'm going to go & see the gp this week & see what they say. I will let you know what they advise.

The sertraline i gave 3 months & upped as doctor advised & was on max of 200mg daily in the end & had diazapams to reduce anxiety. I found no effect from it at all for depression & it seemed to make my anxiety through the roof so that's when the gp changed me. Since then i have tried Duloxetine, venlaflaxine, trazadone & most recently mirtazapine.

May i ask what you have tried & how you have got on with meds!

Take care

Butterfly x

• Posted

Ok, following the bereavement of a long term partner 14 years ago I took Citalopram which at the time was like a miracle drug for me and worked fine.  Was on a max of 30mg for this one

After getting flu once I took Amitryptaline for about a month (at 25mg), which although a very low dose and not really conisdered therepeautic was ebough for me in this case.

In my latest epsiode which started towards the end of last year I again tried Citalopram (10mg) and this time I just couldn't tolerate it.  It sent my anxiety through the roof and I stopped after 10 days.

Since then I tried Mirtazapine (going up to 45mg) and although I didn't really suffer badly at all from side effects it didn't help my anxiety and in fact I think made it worse.  It was good for sleep but that wa about it for me.

I feel I spent too long giving the Mirtazapine a chance to work (about 7 months, upping dose as I went), until I decided enough was enough and I tapered off.

The last 3 1/2 weeks have started Sertraline.  Started on 12.5mg and in that time have worked up to taking 37.5mg currently.  Although it's earl;y days I defintely think it's helping me.  Had an increase in anxiety around the 6 - 11 day period but once through that it's been ok and definitely feel more levelled out, my heart is no longer bursting out my chest all the time!

Just to say I would class my problem as anxiety rather than depression.  Although sometimes feeling anxious for days does also get me down would defintely say it's more anxiety for me.

So overall bit of a mixed bag for me when it comes to meds.  For me I think SSRIs work best it's just a case of tolerating them to start with.

I hope you find something which works for you.  As others have said do try and explore other approaches alongside the medications such as regular exercise, yoga, meditation etc.  I have been learning Mindfulness over the course of my experience and whilst I don't think it's enough for me on it's own it certainly doesn't do any harm.

All the best, don't give up and again try and be kind to yourself, this will not last for ever and when it's gone it will feel a million miles away.

• Posted

Thank you same with you, you have been through it too haven't you. This site is just amazing & helps so much that there is always somebody to talk to.

I'm glad the sertraline are helping you & just show's how different we all are doesn't it.

You can message me anythime if you need to talk.

Take care & best of luck with the sertraline.

Butterfly x

• Posted

Hi Butterfly,

I'm sure noone on here will be sick of you posting. Depression and anxiety are horrible and cruel illnesses and often very misunderstood by people because others cannot see the turmoil and distress that you are feeling and suffering. However, there WILL be an end to it, I promise you. Like you, I had to go through all of the antidepressants but I promise you there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. Have youn also explored other avenues in conjunction with the medication? Things such as counselling (very useful as can be a safe place just for you to 'unburden' your thoughts once a week) yoga for relaxation or other therapies, walking or swimming as gentle exercise raises the metabolism and releases the body's natural endorphins and helps to release a sense of well being. All of these things together can help to lift your mood slightly and can just help you to cope that little bit more and then you've got through another day. Good luck and keep in touch xxx

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you very much for your message & kind words.

I have had 2 lots of cbt which i didn't feel helped so much but did make me look on the more positive side of things. But you just can't help how you feel inside can you & this depression & anxiety will not shift even with meds.

I do find swimming very helpful too, but i've been unable to go this past couple of months because i had some minor surgery on my toe & cannot get it wet or even ware shoes. So i'm in a bit of a mess at the min & It's defo making me feel much worse. I know what a demic i am!!

Can i ask what meds you have tried & how you got on? 

Take care Butterfly x

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your other health problems, I've messaged you about the other details.

Take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.