now what do I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Help I am panicking! For all those ladies who have been through assault counselling - how do you cope without weekly counselling when it really helps? I have been at rape counselling on and off 6 months but after Easter I have 3 sessions of support left but I am TERRIFIED coping alone. What would you do? What would you say? Where do you go? This is rape Crisis! Are they allowed to leave you stuck part way through helping you??? Help any suggestions welcome!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sam18386

Hi

I have suffered PTSD for 30 years or more and I can really understand the terror you feel.

In my case I have two historical traumas. One for attempted rape as a teenager, and secondly regarding a horrific murder scene.

I have night terrors and flashbacks often and I take a large amount of different medications to aid relief. I take matters one day at a time.

I am also a Christian and I know that when i die I will be with the Lord Jesus forever. No more pain and no more sorrow.

You do not mention if you have received EMDR treatment for PTSD. I decided to give it a go last year but I now regret having it. One session knocked me out cold for over 24 hours. With the benefit of hindsight I should have done more research about this treatment. It has not helped me one bit.

Having said this, I know that many other patients have got good results. To me, it's like some sort of mind control.

You also don't mention about receiving medication for your illness. I would strongly advise you to take prescription drugs as you seem very anxious indeed.

I take Venlafaxine 375mg and Trimipramine 200mg as well as several other drugs.The latter is very good for anxiety, depression and is a great sedative. It takes time for a doctor to  prescribe the best option so you might experience a lot of trial and error.

I can tell that you are really ill re PTSD. It's wonderful that you are talking openly about your state of mind. You need to continue to do this. Have you considered group therapy?

I will certainly pray for you Sam and I hope that you recieve speedy relief.

John

Llanelli,Wales.

• Posted

Hi John,your advice is really interesting I may show this to my doctor. She knows I am having counselling she knows I have 3 sessions left and just to update you I contacted the sister company who first referred me for counselling who know exactly what's happened and they've got someone looking into what else they can do to help me further. Success! I will wait to hear from them as they know all my details. I'm with a company called Leicester Rape Crisis. They are a Godsend! I true am Christian, well Catholic should I say, so I get support from them. Thanks for your reply, I thought I was going mad. I've also managed to get more support through a complaints company who deal with hospital complaints, it seems like lots of people are going to help, so may be I'll be ok.

• Posted

Hey Sam,

Go to your GP and have a chat with him out her about what additional services are available. It might take a wee while, due to waiting lists.

Also, could you ask Rape Crisis if they do EMDR (Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing)? As I believe that is the Nice recommended treatment for PTSD. If not, ask you GP if they is something that you could access through them.

Good luck x

• Posted

Thanks shaz, I'll speak to her again as I've seen her once already and explained.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.