NP Thyroid worsening symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

I can’t get a straight answer about this from my doctor and I’m hoping someone would be able to weigh in on this. First, I was on armour Thyroid last year for a while and the entire time I felt like garbage, worse fatigue, body pain, dizziness, heart palpitations, etc. but I didn’t know if it was from the medication. Eventually I stopped it as an endocrinologist told me my thyroid was fine and I didn’t need it.

Now, about a year later, a new doctor said I am borderline for hypothyroidism and put me on 60 mg NP Thyroid. I started it about a week ago and I’ve felt such worse fatigue since then, blacking out from bending over (which is so dangerous and scary), acid reflux, heart pounding/throbbing and just overall feeling spacey and not good (basically how I was feeling on Armour Thyroid). My doctor said these can’t be side effects from the medication because it’s too soon to build up in my system, but I see these are all listed as side effects of NP Thyroid. He suggested to stick with it, but I just don’t want to make myself worse as I used to have POTS (postural orthostsatic tachycardia Syndrome) and all of those symptoms were resolved and now they’re back with a vengeance since starting this medication. I have CFS so I’m very sensitive to medications, but I just don’t know if it’s worth it to stick it out. 

Has anyone felt these symptoms and then they passed and they improved afterwards? Do you think I need thyroid medication from my blood results? I’m just confused as I keep getting mixed opinions on this! thanks! 

Ferritin is 27.3

T4, free 1.05

T4 total 7

T3 free  3.00

T3 uptake 25.00

T3 reverse 13

TSH 2.11

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I’m certainly not a doctor, but if I were you, I’d listen to my body.  You could try reducing your doseage for several days or even stop taking the medication for a couple of days to see how you feel. When you’re extra sensitive to medication, you may need to slowly increase in order to tolerate the appropriate dose. You may also feel effects of a medication sooner than someone who isn’t sensitive to meds.  Change doctors if you feel yiurs isn’t listening g to you and treating you by the book instead of as an individual. 
  • Posted

When the hipotalamus and the pituitary sense enough thiroid hormone in the body (hence the thyroid supplement ) they will reduce your natural thyroid hormone production . Could you be suffering from an imbalance of your natural thyroid versus the thyroid supplement ? Could there be a problem with signaling of hipotalamus and pituitary gland ? You could ask these questions to your endocrinologist.

Hope you sort it out.

• Posted

When I took both Armour and naturethroud prior to 2012, they both worked except for the anxiety and related symptoms... AND, they kept changing the formulations and additives. There was a shortage of these drugs, which ended in 2012, coincidentally, they stopped working for me... I was told levothyroxin was better- what a crock!  Several years on the levo. The synthetic levothyroxin was a near death sentence for me... then back to Naturethroid, that didnt work. Tried NP, that didn't work. Noticed the labeling uses the same name as for synthetic T3 and T4. So I suspect many of the NDTs are cut with synthetics or actually are synthetics. Since there is no label difference in names. EVERY OTHER synthetic hormone is required to use a different name than the natural.

Get yourself some essential amino acids and phenylalanine. Paleo/glutenfree diet, good quality vitamin and mineral supplements.  If that doesn't solve things for you, try ThyroGold (OTC Bovine glandular).

I know that sounds rificulous when you’re struggling and desperate with thyroid disease, maybe even flippant. But none of the meds are bioidentical. Formulation changes are rampant, dosage manufacturing specificationsare +/-10% of label, so you can get as much as 20% difference between lots. Lastly, as I mentioned, no label differentuation between the synthetic and natural forms of T3 and T4.

The dosing can take months to stabilize, so by the time your bloodwork catches up, you’re treating your body three months ago. The meds themselves cause a bunch of side effects (including thyroid disease). Pretty much the worst treatment model imaginable.

So no, you aren't imagining the meds making you worse. If you have CFS, consider that synthetic medications are known to cause autoimmune disease. The NDTs are not bioidentical and can trigger hormone imbalances, which can cause adrenal and anxiety problems. 

CFS can have many causes and can result in nalnutrition and gut probkems, which can trigger thyroid disease. 

End of rant. If you feel like the meds are making you worse, they are.

Read through the many posts here. Others have been through it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.