NSAIDs increase risk for diverticulitis!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I wanted to share this article with you and my experience in hopes that it may benefit someone. I have had DD for many many years and have had symptoms that my doctor never associated with DD. For example over the past 5 years or so I’ve had lower left back pain intermittently, and left side testicular pain as well. My doctor thought my testicular pain was being caused by an enlarged prostate, so antibiotics, didn’t work. I’ve been living with it, taking NSAIDS to relive the pain. But, the lower back pain is the larger issue, my doctor prescribed a topical NSAID to relieve the pain and it worked, so over 5 years or more I’ve been using it on a regular basis. Now I realize the back pain was associated with the lower left abdominal pain. In the past the two had been separate. Now I’m getting a sigmoid colectomy to remove the diseased portion. My lower left abdominal pain is now in sync with my lower left back pain. So I thought, hmmmm, maybe the topical stuff had something to do with all this. I googled NSAIDS and diverticulitis, guess what, there is a direct link. I’ll post a link below as it will probably be moderated. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I went to ER for pain and doc wanted to give me a shot of morphine, which I refused. They gave me Tylenol instead. What should we take?
    • Posted

That’s a good question April, I’m seeing a gastroenterologist tomorrow, I will definitely ask him, because I’m unsure. I think Tylenol is okay, morphine seems a little extreme. I’ve only ever morphine had it after I got my appendix out.

• Posted

And to be clear April the studies suggest long term use of NSAIDS is the culprit.
  • Posted

What is NSAIDS and are we suppose to take them or not? Am I the only one on here that gets the mucous and blood with DD?  Is me ok okay to drink during a glare like 2 nd . I just seen online doctor and forgot to ask her . She sending me in two antibiotics to the Pharmacy. 
    • Posted

I’m just putting the information out there and I’m not a doctor. Check out the link I posted above. 

“Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs (pronounced en-saids), are the most prescribed medications for treating conditions such as arthritis. Most people are familiar with over-the-counter, nonprescription NSAIDs, such as aspirin and ibuprofen”

I wouldn’t recommend drinking any alcohol if your having a flare.

• Posted

I recently had third attack in 10 years, The first time I had it I was in hospital b/c I didn't realize what it was until it has a small perforation, so I had bleeding then.  Second one I didn't have any bleeding, but my most recent one was a little different.  I had severe cramps and diarrhea one day, pain the next but felt constipated, and the next morning had small bowl movement with some blood.  Dr. didn't seem concerned about the small amount of bleeding, called mean antibiotic, and within a day I was much better - no more bleeding after first time.  Most things I have read say small amount if bleeding is unusual, so glad to read I'm no the only one  Now I am worrying about constipation from being on low-fibre diet - stool softener seems to help for now.  Also suffering major anxiety.

• Posted

Dee, I also suffer from major anxiety. I am dealing with some constipation not sure what to take for it yet. Prune juice I may start but read it has by nature cyanid in it,  that scares me anyone on here drink it and if so how long have you been drinking it?  Does anyone know if you can drink Coconut water with DD?  is cream of wheat okay or good to eat?
  • Posted

Hey mnisbett,

Awesome find! Very interesting cause 3 months prior to my 1st transverse D

I was taking the max advil for swelling in my rt. foot. I had been to several dr.'so for my foot meanwhile my stomach strated hurting I swear my primary dr. thought I was becomin a hypercondriac After my episode with diverticulitis my foot stopped swelling dr. Said it was the 5 days off my feel anD the antibiotics but it came back several weeks later. That was 3 months ago and today no swelling and no stomach issues I do think now major stress and thanks to you, NSAIDS.

• Posted

I have had pain in my lower back for yrs I kept thinking I had a kidney infection but now I no what it is I have went to a Urologist and they tell me I have nothing wrong so I no it my diverticulitis then put me on a sylvite antibiotic and I feel fine

• Posted

I'm on codeine long term  for  a  back  problem,,   could  this cause  DD  ?

I also have  to take  oramorph when  it gets really  bad. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.