Nuclear Heart scam

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am due to have a Nuclear Heart Scan in three weeks. Feeling nervous has anyone had one of these and what should I expect on the day.

thank you.**

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

The scan itself is nothing to worry about.

The hard thing will be adapting to your super powers and using them as a force for good.

With great power comes great responsibility.

Best wishes

Peter Parker

• Posted

Thanks for reply. Is it an MRI scanner, or one thats more open?

Wow Super Powers can't wait.

• Posted

to be honest i was disappointed.

I've had CT scans, MRI scans including one with a radioactive tracer injection and a Cardioversion and not once did I gain any superpowers beyond my uncanny ability to annoy my wife. Apparently it only happens in the event of a frankly quite unlikely set of circumstances involving Gamma Radiation from an unusually severe solar flare, a simultaneous lightning strike and meteor shower and an ordinary house spider. No one would give me the exact details.

The CT and MRI scans are pretty similar, you lie down in what feels a bit like an enormous washing machine wearing a thin cotton gown and not much else with a pair of plastic headphones playing radio 2 (other radio stations are available) the washing machine makes lots of strange grindy noises, 45 minutes later you're done and off you go. It can feel slightly claustrophobic the first time but on my most recent I dozed off while it went on around me.

I'd recommend taking sandals so you've got something comfortable to wear into the imaging room, take out any piercings before you go and don't drink too much tea or coffee because once you're in you aren't coming out until they say so and lying there desperate to pee is really uncomfortable......a friend told me. I'd also pay a bit of attention to underwear, if you're of the female persuasion I am led to believe there are things called Underwires that are not particularly good in a massive magnetic field, also at some point it's all you will have on so I always make sure mine is not my Lara Croft boxer shorts or the dodgy grey set for emergency "I haven't done any laundry for a month" events.

Apart from that if you're in the UK our data protection laws mean for a nominal fee (£10 when I did it) you are entitled to a copy of the scan to take away, you can then use this as a background on your computer to show people you do have a brain despite any opinions they may have to the contrary.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

How did the scan go?

I'm going to guess no super powers manifested, I hope it went smoothly.

• Posted

Thank you for checking. I went to hospital on Thursday feeling very nervous. The info that I received said I should expect to be at there for

at least 3 hours. I arrived early and was seen straight away.

A needle was inserted in my arm and the dye injected. The Doctor came and explained the procedure,he also showed me the scanning machine.

i was then prepared with all the electrodes and away we went.

my head was in the scanner for short time which I didn't like at all.

Then moved thru so that my head and feet were out. This scan took about 20mins then I was put thru the stress test. I was injected with a substance that pushed my heart to its limits. I felt very light headed and breathless but no chest pains. The Radiologist was speaking to me the whole time. As soon as it was over I felt fine and was able to leave. All the staff at the UCH were very kind and thoughtful.

I understand that you have had this procedure done Jason but I thought the full explanation might help someone else. I will get the results from the Cardio sometime in August. Will let you know. Thank you again for thinking of me.

Mary

• Posted

Hello Mary,

I'm really pleased it went well and you managed to avoid the Gamma Radiation/Spider unpleasantness.

I hope my somewhat flippant answer was of some help and I'm sure your more sensible post will help anyone else who may be concerned about what it all entails.

I have had CT and MRI scans at Salisbury, Southampton and Bournemouth as well as a mobile clinic on the back of an artic. All the staff have been great and really do put you at ease.

Best Wishes

Jason

• Posted

Hi Jason your answer wasn't flippant it made me smile and put me at ease. Thank you for caring. I will let you know when I get the results.

Mary

• Posted

Copy letter to me from Cardio re my Scan was a bit technical for me but ended by saying it was very reassuring so that is the good news.BUT

The scan detected a lump in my breast, my GP decided that I should be

referred to the breast clinic . I had an appointment within a couple of days and have had several tests.I await the results. I remain positive but a little shell shocked

Mary

• Posted

Hi Mary,

my thoughts are with you, I hope it turns out ok

• Edited

Hi Jason, Thankfully the news is good. Biopsies showed no sign of cancer. Awaiting letter from hospital

with full diagnosis.

Been a tough couple of weeks but how lucky am I.?

Mary

• Posted

that's the best news possible.

I'm really pleased for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.