Nuclear stress test accurate?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Are nuclear stress test pretty accurate at finding CAD and other heart diseases?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had one. Before I had one of course I checked online. When they inject the dye and take the pictures if the arteries light up there are no blockages. If there is a dark spot there could be one. In my case when I got off the table I went over to the screen and looked at the pictures and was asking the tech questions. I noticed one did not light up and said the dark spot dosent that mean a block and she said yes but she said something didn't sit right with her. So she had me wait about 20 minutes while the other guy had his pictures taken. Now the dye last in your system 6 to 24 hours I was told. So after 20 minutes she brings me back in and does a second set of pictures after that she brought me over to the screen and all my arteries where lit up. She said it was just a bad set of pictures. Now had I had a bad tech they would have had to put a Cath in my groin. So I got lucky and had a great tech who knew what she was doing. I'm only 36. The other thing is, if you can I suggest running on the treadmill for the stress part instead of having the medication lexiscan injected. Lexiscan is a medication that makes you feel as if you where running on a treadmill and most people are fine with it but doing research the FDA has said there are a few cases where it has triggered a fatal heart attack. So if you can do the treadmill do the treadmill. Again the lexiscan is a small % of people but I didn't want to take that chance. Hope this helped.

• Posted

Hi i m 37 year old. I have heart conditions like sinking dizzling last 4 year. I had an EPS. my echo and ecg is fine. I feel breathless feel heart stopping heavy heart some times light hearted. Dr said its anxiety. I cannot run on trademill. I ask for thuliam scan test but my cardiologist said its not necessery.

Now you told me when we take this test they put medicine to make our heart tired. And some times people has heart attack. Now i m more afraid. Do you think i have a chance of heart attack during this test. Please guide me.thanks

• Posted

Well I've already did the test. I'm just wondering how accurate they are. I've had read a lot of conflicting info. I've seen where it's anywhere from 81% to 95% accurate. I've also came across a lot of stories where it's missed some people.

• Posted

One thing to remember is that nothing is 100%. My echo, EKG, stress test and nuclear stress test and out of all of that all they found was diastolic dysfunction which is probably due to weight and it might go away. But it's supposedly not life threatening. I'm on a BB and have lost 23 lbs already. If everything you have had done is all good try to live your life to the fullest because you don't want to live worrying all the time and miss all the happy times you could have had. I also had a pulmonary embolism in November 2016. Been off thinners since may 2017 and ya sometimes I get worried but I try to live to the fullest and least to what makes me happy. Try and enjoy life.

• Posted

Yes, they are, I've had 2 which, luckily for me, didn't show CAD to any significant degree, which has to be over 50% before it becomes noticeable on a cath.  I know plenty of people whose lives have been saved by catheterization.  I'm sure there

are other imaging modalities as well, but they cost more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.