Numb?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Is it possible to feel numb and unhappy at the same time?

I have been unhappy for a while, I work full time for a job that I'm unhappy in and I do not have motervation to do anything outside of work. I need something more in life but can not work out what I need or how to get there which is brining me down more. I am literally just existing and just working my way through life. I don't really want to resort to medicine (my doctors are crap and wouldn't help anyway). Most of the time I just wish I wasn't here.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It’s like you took the words right out of my mouth 

I was just YouTubing how to be happy because I legit just don’t know how 

You’re not alone xx 

• Posted

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Let me know if you find a life changing videos. I would recommend 'the one thing only 1% people do' it has will Smith on the front.. quite inspiring

• Posted

Hi Carly, when my dad died I was in quite a nice job where I was quite happy. However seeing my dad died did it for me. I lost focus. I eventually left my job, I was there for my dad when he was dieing. You put you first. Our budget for my husband and I more than halved, my health has since deteriorated and I have not worked since, my dad died over 6 years ago. But. I know I was with my dad when he died. I get ill so often I have to put me first. Put you first not anyone else. Otherwise who knows what else may happen. It was tough but probably the best decision I could have made then. You need a job you can tolerate. Good luck, I hope you can get this situation turned to one you want.
    • Posted

Sam you are spot on so Carly please motivate yourself to at least look for another job . I lived with my mum up until age of 54 it suited me and I love my mum to bits . But like Carly I just worked came home and not make any effort to go out . I might add my issues of low self esteem and confidence started with my teenage years as I had terrible acne that I could not bring myself to go out as was so self conscious and anxious as to my appearance with cystic acne . My mum is my best friend but having said that she never really incouraged me to seek a social life and that did not help . Anyway to cut a long story short I met a guy in my early 50s fell in love and we are now married . I like Sam jacked in my job and moved out of my mothers home and now live outside London . Fortuneatly I do not need to work as financially having bought a property in London whilst working and my partner owning his own home and having a very good job that pays well . I know it's easy listening to me and saying but you have met someone but my life was like yours so never give up hope . What I would say regarding your job I am most honest when I say with or without a partner I would of given up my job and stayed living and looking after my mum and spending quality time with her as she is now 88 . I am lucky that my mum is in good physically health but the blight on my life is that my mum has now devoted dementia which she is in denial about . Like Sam I spend long periods of time with her and know that by not working as I have this time . Alas I do feel torn as I feel my life everything has happened late in my life and I still worry about my mum as I am not there 24/7 . My mum copes but I know she is lonely and though we have tried to get her to move in with us she is reluctant to move and probably with her early stages of this illness it's best not to . Like Sam I will be there for my mum and as her memory fails I already feel a sense of loss and feel torn. So please don't give up hope you are young as was I but things can change . In hindsight I should of changed jobs but regret not doing so as like you I felt demotivated and felt my life was like Groundhog Day Perhaps see a life coach or join a group but above all seek out a change of job as employees take the attitude that fear stops staff leaving . Well it doesn't ! Even by going to an interview you will feel better just for the experience . Good luck and Sam thank you what you have done for your dad is exactly what I will do when my mum gets really bad I will be with her and have no regrets about leaving my job as this was my plan . It's just a shame my mum won't sell up and move but I spend 1 month alternating between Hampshire and London spending a month staying with my mum and a month with my husband. Not ideal but it works and I live in hope mum may agree to move as she gets on well with my partner . My circumstances are luckier than most but for someone who just existed in life I am happy by being out of the rat race and have the time to spend time doing all the things you can only dream off when working and more important have the time to see what is most important in life 

• Posted

Thank you for this. I know I am lucky to have what I got but still feel deflated. I am looking for a job but nothing as of yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.