Numb area on side of knee

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, does anyone else have a numb area on the knee after TKR. I know it was one of the things mentioned that could happen.  Just wondering if it will be like it for ever or does the feeling come back 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I'm 15wks and still have it. Sometimes it prickles and stings like little needles digging in. Sometimes the whole numb area feels sore.

It's just where they cut the nerves and they are regrowing and mending. It can last ages apparently.

• Posted

Hi Suzanne.

I have heard 6 months to a year sometimes never. Most probably not what you want to hear, but that is how it is I am told. I am 14 weeks and it still feels weird even right down to the ankle.

Regards Paul

• Posted

Hi Suzanne,

It will be a yr tomorrow for my TKR...I am numb and swollen still on right side of my right knee...not on scar area. The only time I feel it is by touch or when shaving my legs. It doesn't bother me other than that.  I do have swelling and pain behind my knee though and have an appointment with my Ortho in a couple weeks .

let you know what he says about that.  He did tell me I'd have numb areas which may go away with time...I guess some of us don't loose that numbness...only time will tell.

Sending you GOOD healing thoughts your way!

Janet

• Posted

Hi...yes, like others said, it improves slowly but could be there for ever to a certain extent. You get used to it!
  • Posted

4 years after my TKS I am glad to say that the numbness is preferable to the pain!I 
  • Posted

Yes, definitely!  On the outside of the knee it is VERY numb, and in fact all up the thigh is partially numb . .  .when it isn't agony!  I prefer the numbness any time!  I'm hoping it will eventually go, but with nerve damage I don't think you can rely on that. unfortuantely . . .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.