Numb bladder

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there, Just wondering if anyone has a numb bladder. I think mine lost sensation following a very sudden and painful urgency episode in town 18 months ago. Although I don't know why that should be the case. However that seemed to be when I first noticed it.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have had UTI infection for most of 2017 but resiently had a new sample to a big hospital and they found out that all the antobitic that I had taken were resistant to Other antobiotic  so now have finished a 5 day couse of Augmentin  But now my penis  is peeling is that natureal or could it be too many plumbs  
  • Posted

I share your pain, I have lost most of the sensation to urinate, however doctor's are suspecting a prostate issue, whereas I think in your case, I think it could a neurological problem. Neurogenic bladder often includes symptoms such as not feeling the urge to urinate, often times if untreated, it could lead to complications such as hydronephrosis, where the urine backs into the kidneys and the kidneys swell up, and can also cause uti's due to urine staying in the bladder for too long. What test's did you have done ? and do you have any spinal injuries? as spinal nerves in the sacral region if damaged or compressed, could cause a loss of sensation in your bladder. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply praj7. Sorry to hear most of your sensation is gone too. Yes my problem could be neurological couldn't it. Must admit I have heard of neurogenic bladder before but didn't know what the symptoms were. The only good thing is that whilst my bladder is numb and I have no urge to urinate, I still go to bathroom every few hours of course. And I can urinate fine if I have drank enough to do so, so no worry about the urine backing up into the kidneys etc. As for tests I've had bladder/Kidney scans. Flow tests. Volume tests. All ok or so I was told last year anyway. Also I am being referred to urologist again soon for a Cystoscopy I believe. As for spinal injuries, none that I am aware of. I did have an hip replacement at end of April 2016 and had a spinal anaesthetic so wether that's to blame or wether my bladder was damaged during the urgency episode in town a few weeks later I don't know.

Now if I feel any urgency it's in my urethra. Just been to loo 20 mins ago and had absolutely no urge to go. Been like this 18 months now. I have to keep remembering to go every few hours.. I wonder what a Cystoscopy would find, if anything.

• Posted

Just messaged you praj7 and lost the message by mistake. So I will come back and reply again later today or tomorrow. Sorry.
    • Posted

Hi praj7, I will try again. Sorry to hear you have lost most of your sensation too. Yes mine could could be down to neurogenic bladder. I have heard of it before but I didn't know what the symptoms were. The only good thing for me is that whilst I can't feel any urge to urinate, as long as I am drinking enough, it is no problem to actually empty my bladder when I go to the bathroom. I go every few hours same as usual, Only without any urge or feeling being there. Just went at 3pm. Totally numb.

I have had bladder scans to check I am emptying properly. Also had Kidney scans. Volume and flow tests. Meant to be having a Cystoscopy in the New Year too. Though I don't know what that can reveal.

Not had any spinal injuries though a lot of back problems over the years. Also an hip replacement end of April 2016 and as I had a spinal anaesthetic, I wonder if that is part of the problem or if my bladder was damaged during that awful urgency episode a few weeks later.

• Posted

From the sound of it, it does heavily lean toward a neurological problem. If you don't mind saying, what happened during your urgency episode? If you felt pain during that episode, there could a possibility that your sphincters that communicate with the bladder, could have been damaged. Or the actual bladder muscle could have lost it's strength, and now struggles to communicate signals to the brain that it needs to be emptied. The cystoscopy is primarily used to find any physical abnormalities such as bladder stones, damage, and cancer. Have you looked into getting a video urodynamic study done? This is probably the most detailed tests you can have, it's useful for diagnosing neurogenic bladder issues. In the test they use x ray or ultrasound to get real time video of urination during the filling process and the voiding process. This lets them see how your bladder contracts, and if there is any problems in the communication between the bladder and the sphincters. 

• Posted

Hi again praj7, During that urgency episode there was a lot of pain. It was partly my own fault in as much that a few days before the event I saw the Doc and she told me to drink more as I wasnt drinking enough. So on the day I went down town it was a very hot day and with the docs words ringing in my ears as well, I probably drank too much. There was a lot of pain during that urgency episode and so what you say may be right about my sphincters or bladder muscle. Not heard of a video urodynamic study but it sounds interesting. What you say about neurogenic bladder makes sense though given my symptoms. You seem to have a lot of knowledge about all this. Are you studying it in college or something? Anyway thanks for your comments.
    • Posted

no problem, I just have a science background with a decent understanding of the urinary system, along with doing ton's of research myself for urinary issues haha. Anyways good luck with everything, hope your situation gets better, and don't feel shy to keep us updated, as it will help lower your anxiety, which is always a good thing. 

• Posted

Hi Shirley 8400,

I am a 36 year old female and I have a numb bladder. I was recently diagnosed with nuerogenic bladder and will have to self-catheter the remainder of my life. The doctors do not know what caused the nuerogenic bladder. I was suffering from urine retention for 3-4 days prior to the day my bladder went numb.(Except, I would feel like I have to go and no matter how much straining was involved, I just could not void.) In the hospital ER, I voided nearly 300 ml. The nurses were shocked, being that I am under 5'4" and a woman. When they emptied my bladder it felt first like a relief, then I started having violent bladder spasms, like someone was twisting my insides and bladder with a vice. The urologist thinks that was when my bladder was damaged. Either that or the nerves that send signals of sensation to urinate were permanently damaged. However it happened, I no longer feel the urge to void. I just sort of time when I need to go self-cath. If I were you, I would go speak with your urologist about nuerogenic bladder. Good luck, hope my experience helps you. 

• Posted

Hi JZ42139, Thanks for your message too. Sorry to hear of your bladder problems. You certainly have had a rough time of it havent you. Ive not had the urge to void for 18 months now following the above mentioned self inflicted urgency episode where I was in a lot of pain. So its ended up with me also timing when to go to bathroom. And I keep a rough check on how much I have drank too. Sorry to hear you have to self cath. I can still void but interestingly, where I can void as much as 800ml first thing in the morning, I cant seem to go again till about 1pm by which time I have drank about 750ml. I drink about 1750ml every day. But yes i l hope to see a urologist soon and will definitely mention neurogenic bladder to him. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Sorry, JZ42139, I forgot to add that when it gets to 1pm and I have drank 750ml by that time, often I go to void and only manage 100ml. My voids seem to increase as the day goes by. So its like I need a certain amount of fluid - 750ml in my case, for my bladder to start working . The only other thing that results in voiding is the urgency anxiety. Even then I can get urgency feelings (In my urethra) and sometimes nothing happens, not always though. I think that was praj7 says makes a lot of sense though about my sphincter muscles being damaged or the bladder muscle losing its strength or maybe both happened. Will definitely speak about neurogenic bladder to urologist when they refer me. They take their time. It was the gynaecologist at the hospital who was referring me back to the urologist. He told me that on Dec 13th.
    • Posted

Hi shirley84100,

"I think that was praj7 says makes a lot of sense though about my sphincter muscles being damaged or the bladder muscle losing its strength or maybe both happened." <<< That is probably what is going on. I think a urodynamics test will be helpful too. Best of luck to you! I hope your condition improves.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.