Numb calf

Posted , 6 users are following.

has anyone got numbness of calf and ankle pain I am two weeks post op

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Perfectly normal to experience numbness in your calf and ankle. Just remember that your muscles, thigh bone and nerves have undergone a fair bit of trauma and will take time to recover and heal.

I had numbness in my ankle even up to 11 months after surgery. It was mild by that time but still noticeable. Don't worry it's perfectly normal - just keep mobile and keep doing your exercises.

• Posted

Hi Debbie:

I so hope for you that this represents normal trauma and will clear up. Mine never did. I had anterior approach hip surgery which damaged the nerves ( coming from the femoral nerve) in my knee, medial leg and ankle. So, now 15 months post surgery my knee is still partially numb and very tight and the lack of feeling in the lower leg and ankle makes walking much more difficult. Especially so with steps or uneven ground. I am very disappointed but trying to create strong muscles to overcome this - if I ever can. A recent EMG (nerve/muscle) test showed no response from the nerves in the areas I mentioned above. I wish you the best and hope that your outcome is so much better than mine! Maureen

• Posted

I can walk in it ok it's even better when walking but it when resting it feels weird but it's early days I guess

• Posted

I have numbness from my knee to my ankle Mine is the front of my leg around to the calf, but no pain. I am 5 1/2 months out. My replacement was a revision of a prior hip replacement from 2015. My doctor offered no reason for the numbness nor whether it would resolve. I hope yours goes away. Physical therapist may offer more when that is started for you. I am not even aware of the numbness most of the time. Good luck . Debbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.