Numb Chin Syndrome

Posted , 56 users are following.

So I have a small spot on the tip of my chin that is numb, like feeling like how it would feel if a dentist gave you anesthesia.  Just numb.  I thought maybe a shaved to close and cut it making it numb.  Then after taking it for maybe a month or so, I decided to see what could be done about it.  I instead found out about Numb Chin Syndrome.  Everything I read is this is fatal within months due to cancer.  Although I have read it can also be cause by diabetes neuropathy (I'm a type 1 diabetic for about 35 years now, so I'm praying to god that's what causing it, although I don't really have much other neuropathy in my body, so that kinda seems like a stretch), and I've also read anxiety can cause it (And of course I've had anxiety most of my life).  Anyways, to the point, suddenly I'm starting to get TMJ symptoms, earaches when sleeping, dull headaches that last a few seconds and then go away... Should I go to the doctor and see about getting an MRI scan, knowing if it comes back positive for cancer of any kind, I'm probably going to die soon and have most of my remaining time spent in a hospital instead of out in the world living, as well as leaving behind my wife (who does think this all in my head) and 10 & 8 year old kids, which the thought of is pushing me towards depression.  I'm at a complete loss for what to do here and scared and feel so lonely.  Thank you in advance for anyone who has any advice... 

2 likes, 260 replies

260 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry you're suffering Nate. Health anxieties are the worse as the more you worry about them or read up on stuff, the worse the symptoms get.

As you've already said, there's a number of things non terminal this could be, and anxiety probably could be the cause given it's ability to manifest and create symptoms, especially if it's gotten worse after you researched articles.

I would talk to a Dr to be honest, they can start least discuss this with you and either suggest what they think it could be or give you peace of mind in confirming it's anxiety related.

Let's look at your worse case scenario and please bare in mind this is all hyperthetical and not a prediction of things to come....you test positive for cancer. Either you find out, and progress with possibility of treatment and chance of surviving (not all cancer means instant death. If caught early, it can be treated), you find out and can live your remaining time without hospital treatment, at least enjoying what's left to the full or you worry yourself without a diagnosis to the extent that the life you're living is just a miserable torture up to the "disease" killing you.

Or the more realistic scenario... it's your anxiety or diabetes. You get this diagnosis from the Dr, know exactly then how to treat it and can continue on without all that stress and worry on your shoulders.

I really would recommend seeing your Dr and telling them all of this. Show them your post and fears. It will only lead you to an even darker place otherwise x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice caz.  Perhaps it is better to just see whats up with the doctors...
    • Posted

You're welcome. I wish I could take the worry away for you but ultimately I think you'll feel better talking to your doctor. I went to the doctor for a rash/lump on my breast/side. Thought the worse case scenarios of course in my head but it turned out to be shingles. I find it's always better just to get it looked at. Good luck!

• Posted

So update...1st of all, I'm still here kicking, so that's a plus.  I went to my doctor about my chin issues, he said its most likely due to diabetes...  He didn't seem all that concerned.  The chin still to this day bothers me... I just try to ignore it as best I can.  In the meantime I'm just living it day by day.  I got on some Trazadone which helped with the depression thankfully.  I went and saw my favorite sports team this summer(the most beautiful stadium in the world in my own personal opinion), went to see the ocean(which I hadn't been to since I was 12 years old or so, and went to the black hills did some rock climbing.  All the things I really wanted to do in case things went south on me.  Got myself into plenty of debt, but it was all so worth it.

Anyways, I have good days and bad days.  I don't believe I have cancer though, because I'm not in any huge pain.  I do have TMJ though.  I have a dentist making a mouth guard for me that I'm picking up this week.  He told me some of my pain is probably coming from that, but couldn't say all of it was.  In any event, it's a place to start. 

I guess mainly I just wanted to post this because almost everywhere I read on the internet about people having numb chin, then you never hear from them again... I wanted to make sure everyone knew I'm still fighting this... Whatever it is I'm fighting.  Oh, and while most things I've read on the internet points to doom for numb chin, I've researched this thing, and to my surprise, basically its a 50/50 chance you'll survive it(there are many other causes to numb chin that isn't metastatic cancer), which gives me hope.  And as long as I have that, I'm good and will keep after life!

• Posted

Hi Nate,

I'm a fellow one numb spot on the chin sufferer/survivor! 😃

I noticed it first in late April or early May, and figured it would be a lecture at the doctor for having my worst A1C ever leading to some kind of neuropathy.

But my doc scared me beyond belief with talk about cancer and MS.

I went home and googled and spiraled mentally big time.

I went back to the doc, went for an MRI and a mammogram which found nothing, to the neurologist, the dentist, and an oral and maxiofacial surgeon. Nobody could explain it.

I panicked so hard about leaving my son motherless. I made photo books, we took vacations, and spent like there was no tomorrow because I was terrified there really was no tomorrow.

But here I am, almost 7 months later, and the spot has slightly shrunk I think, and the sensation comes and goes now, with less intensity if that makes sense. I still struggle with anxiety, and have started seeing a therapist to help me with the fear.

Here's to many more tomorrows with our tricky chins!

• Posted

Hi Kristen,

Glad to see another numb chin survivor! I'm still here kicking. I'm about the same amount of time in as you are with this problem (I first started noticing it about the beginning of April). Back story about mine... I literally found out about numb chin syndrome the evening of my 8 year old's school concert program. I was a complete mess while he doing his thing in the program. My whole family could tell something was wrong with me, but how could I tell them that I just read about Numb Chin Syndrome and could possibly die, especially when I felt fine!

Anyways, things may or may not be getting real for me this week. I have a doctors appointment for a tiny lump on the side of my neck. So small that it's not even noticeable on neck, but definitely much larger than the other side of my neck. Its been there for a month or so now that I'm aware of. Hopefully its nothing, but it (or something else I'm not aware of) is causing a small amount of pain when I turn my head. Anyways, hopefully its no big deal. I still feel fine other than that, although the numbness is still there.

Well, for now, take care, and I will too, and hopefully someone else out there looking for a survivor on the internet will find this thread and see that it isn't complete doom if you have a numb chin.

• Posted

positive vibes that it's nothing to worry about!

I think I'm hyper aware now of every little thing. I went to the doc in August for a shoulder lump, and she said it felt like a cyst, nothing to worry over, and to try to relax - easier said than done!

I hope it's the same for you!

• Posted

Oh my gosh! I too, suffer with an on and off numb chin. It's on my right side and after a little zap feeling kept happening under my bottom lip, I stupidly googled. (always my first mistake that makes me spiral out of control with any health issue)! I had a breast cancer scare a little over a year ago and just recently had convinced myself I don't have it, and then the chin thing started. Anyway, when I googled, it said it was due to metastatic breast cancer and that's when I learned about NCS! I was so scared that the next day I went to urgent care and they sent me to the ER to rule out a stroke. I had a CT of my head which came back clear (it just showed the brain, I was told). The ER doctor told me to see my family doctor the next day and she sent me for an MRI of my brain to rule out MS. That too came back clear but she is sending me to a neuro doc to get to the bottom of all of this. I've lost sleep, cried, and feel like I'm going crazy because I just keep dwelling on it! Hoping you all get resolve soon. I wouldn't wish this worry on my worst enemy!

• Edited

Hi Mandy! I'm sorry to hear you're going through this worry, too.

The neuro couldn't explain it for me, since the MRI showed nothing remarkable, thankfully. I hope yours is similarly unremarkable, though I think we all understand the quest for answers.

I went to a sports med doc this week for an unrelated issue, and he thought it might me a cervical spine issue, and not the trigeminal/mental nerve of the face. Like arthritis or someother reason for nerve impingement. Fingers crossed it proves to be as simple as that! He said tension headaches could manifest from that area too, and I get those all the time.

Nate, how are you doing? what came of the lump in the neck? I have been thinkinh positive thoughts for you!

• Posted

Hi Kristen! What was your MRI of? Mine was of the head. I thought that a head CT would show the whole head and face but when I asked the tech she said it was just of the brain.

I thought having the CT and MRI would clear things up and alleviate my worries, but neither scan showed the mandible/jaw so I can't rule out cancer in my head. The only consolation I can give myself is the fact that I don't have complete numbness, just a spot about the size of a dime maybe.

• Posted

The MRI was of my brain and brain stem, and she said they followed the trigeminal nerve all the way to the mental branch that ends in the chin and found nothing.

The MRI was labeled brain and brain stem on the order, but she said they also focused on the nerve branch per her instructions.

If it gives you any consolation, the neurologist said that a virus could have attacked the nerve, and it would never show up on any of those scans. After their initial freak out, all the docs I have seen have said at this point, there's no reason to worry. always easier said than done, but I try to focus on that!

• Posted

That's good. It sounds like you have a great doctor who is very thorough. The fact that they focused on the mental nerve is very reassuring that it is nothing sinister.

I know my MRI was of the brain because they were checking for MS lesions so I don't know that they would have even looked for anything else. I just can't wait to see a neurologist to ask for additional tests. I'm so tired of worrying about it. I feel like I can't even enjoy my life anymore.

• Posted

Hi Kristen, Things are about the same for me. I'm going into my 10th month since I first noticed my numb spot. Funny how I count the months like its some sort of achievement. 😃

I went to the doctor about the lump on my neck, she didn't seem to concerned about it though, she said it could be any number of things unrelated to cancer. She put me on antibiotics for a week, and said to just keep an eye on it and try not to worry about it to much unless it gets worse. And while it hasn't gotten worse, its still definitely there. I have another appointment on the 9th with my main GP doctor (who wasn't available the first time I went in), so I want to see what he thinks about it.

On another note, when I first read about NCS, I thought my time was severally limited. I thought I would never be able to see my son play basketball this fall, or celebrate another holiday season. I have appreciated this season more than anyone could ever realize. I hope you have done the same. 😃 Happy New Years! We've made it this far!!!

• Posted

So glad to hear that Nate! And yes, I totally relate to experiencing the joy of the season, and all the experiences I was so terrified to miss.

I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but I started seeing a therapist to help me with the anxiety and depression the fear was causing, and it's been a huge help.

Mandy, I'm not sure how far into this journey you are, but I definitely understand that feeling of not being able to enjoy life for all the worry and fear. It took me months and lots of reassurances to get past that, and the help of the therapist. And there are moments when I slip back into despair, but it's easier to climb out of them now.

Here's to 2019! May our chins go back to normal, and our fears subside! I feel an affinity for you guys due to our shared experience, and truly wish the best for you in the coming year. 😃

• Posted

Happy New Year to you all!!

My chin goes from feeling okay for almost a whole day and then it goes back to tingling and feeling like i can't feel normal sensations. It's definitely nerve racking. I'm actually going ti counseling for my anxiety so I'm hoping and praying that helps me a little. I worry that my anxiety could magnify what I'm feeling.

I too, hope that out chins feel normal real

soon. I hate that you both have this but it's a relief to know I'm not the only one who suffers with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.