Numb Chin Syndrome

Posted , 56 users are following.

So I have a small spot on the tip of my chin that is numb, like feeling like how it would feel if a dentist gave you anesthesia.  Just numb.  I thought maybe a shaved to close and cut it making it numb.  Then after taking it for maybe a month or so, I decided to see what could be done about it.  I instead found out about Numb Chin Syndrome.  Everything I read is this is fatal within months due to cancer.  Although I have read it can also be cause by diabetes neuropathy (I'm a type 1 diabetic for about 35 years now, so I'm praying to god that's what causing it, although I don't really have much other neuropathy in my body, so that kinda seems like a stretch), and I've also read anxiety can cause it (And of course I've had anxiety most of my life).  Anyways, to the point, suddenly I'm starting to get TMJ symptoms, earaches when sleeping, dull headaches that last a few seconds and then go away... Should I go to the doctor and see about getting an MRI scan, knowing if it comes back positive for cancer of any kind, I'm probably going to die soon and have most of my remaining time spent in a hospital instead of out in the world living, as well as leaving behind my wife (who does think this all in my head) and 10 & 8 year old kids, which the thought of is pushing me towards depression.  I'm at a complete loss for what to do here and scared and feel so lonely.  Thank you in advance for anyone who has any advice... 

2 likes, 260 replies

260 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey guys! I'm still suffering with the numb chin/lip thing so I thought I would check in and see if anyone else had added anything bc I haven't been on here in a while. I hate that you all are having to go through this bc it's made me crazy. I'll go days and not have the feeling and then I'll have this little jolt/almost shocking feeling that comes on at random times. So annoying! I've been experiencing the weird feelings for about 5 months now. It's not constant which is the only thing that makes me feel better but I can't find anything saying numb chin is a constant feeling or if it comes and goes. I do have an impacted wisdom tooth so I'm questioning whether or not that may have something to do with it. I also have some weird numb feelings come and go on the opposite side next to my shoulder blade which I thought could somehow be connected. I don't know. I'm just grasping at straws bc I'm sick of being afraid that it's from cancer. I went to the neurologist and he said it's unlikely that it's MS or anything like that bc my brain MRI came back normal. So, I've probably not been of any help to anyone but I just wanted to let everyone know I'm still here with the rest of you. Hoping this all goes away for everyone soon! Praying for everyone!

Mandy

• Posted

Hi Mandy,

Like you, I take comfort in the fact that it comes and goes. I was recently at my primary care for a labs follow up, unrelated to the chin issue, and I mentioned that it comes and goes now, and she said NCS caused by tumors would definitely not come and go.

I'm 11 months in, and at one point it went away for more than a week. I haven't had any other tell tale signs of cancer - no weight loss, no night sweats, no fevers, no fatigue as long as I keep my anxiety under control. I just keep focusing on that and hoping for the best! I hope you can do the same!

I'd love to hear from Nate - you be about to hit the one year mark, right? Hope you're doing well! And everyone else too!

• Posted

That makes me feel better to know your primary care confirmed that NCS would not come and go. I haven't had any signs of cancer either. I do run a low grade fever a lot but my rheumatologist says thats from my lupus. No weight loss and no night sweats. I'm so ready to be done with this feeling bc every time I feel it, it freaks me out.

Praying this feeling goes away soon for all

of us!

• Posted

You have lupus? When I first asked my doc about my chin she said NCS could be caused by cancer, MS, or lupus. Your rheumatologist doesn't think it could be connected?

• Posted

Sorry its taken me so long to reply back. I do have lupus but the rheumatologist says that wouldn't cause it. I don't even know what to think. They also tested me for MS but the brain MRI came back clear. I went to the neuro they sent me to. He wanted me to do a nerve conduction study but I just haven't went back. I know I need to, but even with insurance, these doctor bills are getting expensive!

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

I'm still around, and yes I'm about to hit the 1 year mark! My fear of Cancer has pretty much all but gone away (I still have some days, but they are few and far between). I figure if I were to have it, I'd either be in horrible shape or gone by now. The only problem I'm having currently a right shoulder that is in tough shape. I'm going to start physical therapy on it the 3rd of April. My PCP seems to think its just shoulder tendonitis. I'm beginning it think its a complete tear because I have very limited movement in it without pain. That being said, while its a concern, its probably pretty common for a 42 year old guy, so I'm not sweating it too much.

I'm so glad to see everyone is still around on here!!! When I first started with the numb chin, I couldn't find anyone online that posted about it for more than a couple of months. So I'm really glad that this is a place that people with our issue can come and be aware its not a death sentence for everyone. I feel like we all have a connection, and even though I haven't posted in a while, I still think about this thread a lot.

On 1 last personal note, My oldest son is just starting up his baseball season in a couple of weeks! I feel so lucky to watch him play the sport he loves the most again. Make sure to spend time with your loved ones. They are what truly matter. 😃

• Posted

Hey everybody! I'm back! I'm in a fit of panic again today because I woke up with a spot right under my bottom lip about the size of a pin that feels like a pin prick every 15-20 seconds and it's driving me crazy and sending me into panic mode. So needless to say, I'm completely freaking out right now. Anyone ever have this feeling? Mine usually does this every few days or so and it's never happened this frequently. It will usually do it for a second at a time and only about 4 times a day. It's been happening for about an hour now. Full blown panic mode right now! HELP!!

• Posted

Hi Mandy, I'm so sorry to hear you are having a hard time! I've had that pin prick sensation on a spot on my front neck, and it also freaked me out. Mentioned it to my doc and my endo since it's near my thyroid, and both were not concerned. It went away after a while - hopefully yours does too.

My lips get prickly/tingly sensations often, since way before the chin thing, and I've always chalked it up to a cold sore starting or my body fighting one off.

I really hope it's nothing major for you as well! I can feel your panic so I wish I had a better answer for you. Best I can think of is that in all the morbid reports of terrible things, I never came across what you're describing. Are you still going to the neuro for the nerve testing? Hopefully he can ease your mind!

Also, I just realized I never responded to Nate - so glad to see you are doing so well friend!

• Posted

Hey Kristen! Thanks for responding. It's still happening 5 hours later. I took a nap hoping to wake up to it being gone, but no such luck! I'm so tired of all of this. I just want to enjoy life without worrying about it. I'll go weeks without it and then, BAM! Back again. This time I feel as panicky as the first time I had it. It's starting to feel like its going in a line down to my chin but it could be in my head bc I'm so scared right now. The bad part is, I'm in florida on vacation and can't even enjoy watching my girls play without constantly wondering if I have NCS. I hate this! I never went for the nerve study but I'm gonna call them when I get back home to get it scheduled.

• Posted

Just wanted to update everyone. The pin prick sensation finally went away in the one spot below my lip but I still have it other places in the lip and chin a couple times a day. I'm still scared but not as much as the other day when it first started happening. I can't tell if I have decreased feeling or if it's just my anxiety making me feel like theres a slight difference in feeling. I just want to go back to the good ol days when I didn't constantly wonder about the feeling in my chin.

• Posted

Hi Mandy19!

How are you feeling now? I have been having similar little tingly, zap, itchy type feelings in one general spot on my chin. It feels almost exactly like a cold sore feels when its starting. I also have a ton of neck muscle and TMJ issues and my SCM and jaw are super tender on the left side right now.. But I just cant convince myself that its being causes by something thats not fatal. I'm watching my kids sleep and shaking uncontrollably totally freaked out that I've got little time left to live. I have horrible health anxiety which is only making matters worse. Please let me know how you are doing and if you've found any answers or relief.

Thank you!!

• Posted

Hi Erin,

Hope all is going well for you. I've been where you are right now. I know it's a horrible feeling. My advice to you if you choose to accept it is this... 1. See your doctor. Tell them your concerns and your complete TMJ history. TMJ is known to mess with the trigeminal nerve, which controls most all sensations in your face. If you are still concerned after whatever advice your doctor gives, ask for an MRI. I know they are expensive, but the cost is much easier than living in nonstop fear. And whatever comes of it, at least you'll know, which is better than fearing the unknown.

2. Do NOT go to Dr. Google. Literally any symptom you thrown in Google will give you the worst case scenario. It is not to be trusted as good medical advice. If you've already done this, try to forget what you have read. I know this may be hard to do, but its for the best.

3. Spend time doing stuff you love to do. I've noticed that when I do things I enjoy, I often times forget about my chin problem. Spend time with your family. Life has so much to offer to spend it worrying about "potential" medical problems. Live your life. 😃

Also, I want to think you for posting. I got the notification in my mailbox this morning when I woke up, and it reminded me to come in here and celebrate as I'm at 1 year 1 month, since Dr. Google scared the crap out of me! I hope everyone else is still doing great. I still have shoulder issues. I've been going to physical therapy, but I am feeling its time for an MRI to make sure I don't have any injuries in my shoulder that physical therapy won't help. But I'm not worried much about that right now. My son has a baseball game tomorrow and I'm going to watch him on a beautiful 75 degree day tomorrow. This is the best life. 😃

• Posted

Hi Mandy,

I'm glad to hear your problem has resolved itself somewhat. Did you ever go to your doctor about this? Just curious... Worrying about what may happen is not a fun to live. Hopefully you'll get to a point where you can go on without the worry.

I'll always be around from time to time to help out with whatever advice I can give when i can. In this topic, nobody is fighting this alone as far as I'm concerned. We are all in this together!

• Posted

Hey Nate and Erin! I'm still dealing with the whole chin issue. I woke up on Thursday morning with a tingly feeling in my gums on the same side which freaked me out but I had a doctor's appointment that same morning anyway. She ordered an MRI of my jaw and I'm here waiting to get it now. I'm a nervous wreck but I have so many people praying for me so I'm not as nervous as I would normally be. As I was sitting in church last night, I went to scratch my face and found a swollen lymph node in front of my ear. I go at 1 to see my PA for that. It's been a roller coaster of a ride with this chin thing and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! I'll let you guys know what I find out and in the meantime I'll be praying for you all!

• Posted

I'll be praying for you, and I hope nothing much comes of the MRI. Its funny, I was in church on Sunday morning, and the sermon was about anxiety. His message was deep on so many levels. The one level that concerns us though is our health, and his message was that god will be with you on your journey. God never leaves your side. So... while you are waiting for your MRI, remember that. I'll be waiting to hear your news in the meantime.

• Posted

Praise the Lord, the mandible MRI was unremarkable, no sign of cancer! I still can’t get it through my head but I’m thanking God for a good report. You are so right, Nate. God never leaves our side and I’m so thankful for that. To anybody reading this, just know there are things that it can be other than cancer. I’m proof of it. And something I’ve learned, this is the only good site I’ve found with searching google. Anything else regarding numb chin syndrome pointed to cancer and was terrifying. Stay off of google, and like Nate, I’ll still be around for moral support. You guys have helped me through this whole thing more than anything and I thank you all for that. It’s made me feel like I wasn’t alone.

• Posted

YAY!!! That is such excellent news!!! I'm so happy for you Mandy, and also for everyone who finds this glimmer of hope when they are spiraling in Dr. Google.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.