Numb Chin Syndrome

Posted , 56 users are following.

So I have a small spot on the tip of my chin that is numb, like feeling like how it would feel if a dentist gave you anesthesia.  Just numb.  I thought maybe a shaved to close and cut it making it numb.  Then after taking it for maybe a month or so, I decided to see what could be done about it.  I instead found out about Numb Chin Syndrome.  Everything I read is this is fatal within months due to cancer.  Although I have read it can also be cause by diabetes neuropathy (I'm a type 1 diabetic for about 35 years now, so I'm praying to god that's what causing it, although I don't really have much other neuropathy in my body, so that kinda seems like a stretch), and I've also read anxiety can cause it (And of course I've had anxiety most of my life).  Anyways, to the point, suddenly I'm starting to get TMJ symptoms, earaches when sleeping, dull headaches that last a few seconds and then go away... Should I go to the doctor and see about getting an MRI scan, knowing if it comes back positive for cancer of any kind, I'm probably going to die soon and have most of my remaining time spent in a hospital instead of out in the world living, as well as leaving behind my wife (who does think this all in my head) and 10 & 8 year old kids, which the thought of is pushing me towards depression.  I'm at a complete loss for what to do here and scared and feel so lonely.  Thank you in advance for anyone who has any advice... 

2 likes, 260 replies

260 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi , im sorry your feeling bad . Did you know a numb chin can also be Bells Palsy . That is a temporary nerve condition ,its not a serious condition . You can get it anywhere on your face . Rubbing your face several times a day can ( but not always ) helps . If you google , google it , dont let your anxiety diagnose for you , you will be ok !!

• Posted

I appreciate your reply! I wondered before if I wasn't having the onset of bell's palsy but it's been going on for over a year so I don't think that would be it. But I will look it up and see what it says.

• Posted

Hi! don't have have to have facial drooping for it to be considered Bells Palsy?

• Edited

Hey, nothing new to report here, just wanted to wish everyone a merry Christmas, and just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you all. Hope your all having a great time with your families!

• Edited

Merry Christmas and Happy and Healthy New Year... my new years wish is for all our chins, lips, mouths etc to go back to normal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Edited

i just wanted to say this whole thread has brought me a lot of comfort. i have a small section on the right side of my chin for 3 days now and i made the foolish mistake of googling it and i have been an absolute wreck. i have been to two different doctors since Saturday and they believed i had pinched a nerve.

• Posted

Glad we can help! I think everyone in this thread has made the mistake of looking up Dr. Google. I know i sure did. Trust your doctors. And if you are still nervous, tell them what you have read if you haven't already. That way they will know what is causing your anxiety and can work with that. If you need any other support, we are here for you! I am 100% convinced numb chin ISN'T the death sentence that Dr. Google makes it out to be.

• Posted

I hope your numb spot has resolved! Mine went away for over a month and came back today in a total different spot. It usually happens on the right side of my bottom lip, but this evening while eating dinner, I felt like something was stuck on my chin, about halfway between my lip and tip of my chin. It mainly happens when I smile. I hate it because even after a year and a half of this coming and going I still freak out every time.

• Edited

Hi all, new here, and came across your posts as I became Dr Google and had myself convinced that I had metastatic cancer due to my lower right chin and jaw feeling tingly/numb. I do have a history of melanoma, 8 years out, and I immediately spiraled into worst case scenario. Funny thing is, I also have a healthcare background in oncology, so even my logical brain couldn't reign the panic in (Im not experiecing any symptoms and I just had general labs ran in Dec).I just got a prescription for a medication that is supposed to help with anxiety, so I am praying that this is nothing more. I will say when i dont pay attention to it, it seems to go away/not be as bad. Also, I went to the chiro to see if that would help, and it seems like when I do, it makes it worse. I do have TMJ and am super tight on my right side, so I dont know if that is all causing this annoying feeling that is making me spiral. I am thankful to have found this and know Im not alone and that it isnt a death sentence. My PCP definitely thinks it is anxiety related due to all that is currently going on in the world. She said to give it a week, and then we can go from there.

• Posted

mine ended up going away about 2 weeks ago and has been fine since. i had it for 6 weeks. it can be so many little things, so hang in there and be optimistic 😃

• Edited

Oh gosh. Did you get any scans done, or just try to tell yourself that it was nothing and it eventually went away? I am hoping it is a pinched nerve and nothing else. Also, being in isolation isn't helping...currently being in my thoughts, day in and out.

• Edited

Hi,

I would always listen to your primary care doctor first. Dr. Google is the worst doctor if you ask me. Sounds like you have a lot going on medically. And your doctors right, it very well could just be anxiety and stress due to the virus going around. I just passed 2 years of having the tingling in my chi and it still comes and goes. So it is by no means a death sentence for all. Hang in there, keep in touch with your PCP, and just know that we are all here for you in this forum. 😃

• Posted

Thanks, I really appreciate it and am thankful I found this thread. I am going to try to see how it goes, and if I need to, then I can pursue it more. If anyone else has any advice, or how they are doing, let me know!

• Edited

Hi, Ashlee! I found and still do find comfort in this thread, thanks to Nate! I haven't had this as long as Nate has. I'm going on 18 months and it still comes and goes. Since being on Vitamin D weekly, and a multi-vitamin with iron daily, I haven't dealt with the feeling near as much. So if you haven't had any blood work done lately, maybe go to your family doctor and have them order some labs to check your vitamin levels.

That's not to say that I don't still have it. Last night it started again on my chin and only happens when I smile. It's all so weird and has no rhyme or reason. I still get completely nervous anytime it happens, even after a year and a half.

So I don't know if any of what I've said helps, but I do hope this all resolves for you soon! Hang in there! We're all still around if you need us!

• Posted

Hi, can I join?

I've had constant numbness / tingling on my right side of my chin, going from my bottom lip down to under my chin. I phoned the Dr after having it for 1 and a half weeks (on Google's recommendation). Unfortunately due to what's going on my Dr isn't seeing patients so was told to phone back in 3 weeks if I still have it and hopefully things will have settled enough that they will be doing blood tests again. So 3 weeks is up and I'm going to phone tomorrow.

I think I've been having seizures when I'm asleep too which is new. I was aware something was about to happen despite being asleep then will bite my tongue as my jaw clamps shut but I cant unclench. I've also had months of flashes in my vision. I recently had 2 pregnancies back to back and they started on and off around the end of the 1st. I've told my Dr in the past about those but they barely even got acknowledged.

• Posted

Hi Fiona! Yes you can join as sad as it makes me to have to see someone else dealing with all of this. Is your numbness and tingling only on one side or both? Given the fact that your jaw is clenching shut, it doesn't sound like what I've read on numb chin syndrome. The flashes in your vision is something I'm not familiar with other than with high blood pressure at times. I would call back to your doctor tomorrow and explain everything to them. Ask to speak with a nurse because after working as a medical assistant in a doctor's office for years, I know firsthand that the receptionist doesn't always take things as serious as they should because they don't really know much about medical stuff. Let us know what you find out. We all pop back on here periodically. Me, moreso lately because I've been dealing with all of this again a lot more here in the last week or so.

• Edited

Hi Mandy, thanks. I'm so sorry you're going through this again. It is worrying, even more so just now I think because it's really difficult to get a Dr to see you. I'm hoping they'll invite me down for a blood test when I phone tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

My numbness is on the right side. I read everyone's posts and saw that for many the numbness / tingling came and went. Mine has been constant so far, was yours like that then went away for a while?

Sorry, I didn't explain properly about the jaw clenching. The clenching only happened while i was having a (suspected) seizure at night. I told my GP about them and he confirmed it sounds like I'm having seizures but then he changed the subject. I thought he would've offered to have it investigated but nope.

The flashes in my vision could be my blood pressure. I have Familialhypercholesterolemia and as a result essential hypertension but I am on blood pressure tablets. (I'm 38) Thanks for the heads up about speaking with a nurse. I'm going to phone when the surgery opens in the morning, I'll update on whether I get my blood tests or told to wait some more. I'm so glad I found this chat group, it's helped to read other's experiences and also to be able to share my own experience.

• Edited

Forgot to add, I have also had smears showing minor changes since 2016 and was unable to have a checkup for the last 2 years due to pregnancy and birth complications. Those tests have all been cancelled too until further notice. I did have gestational diabetes but tests done 5 months ago showed I don't have ongoing diabetes. Sorry, I'm trying to go through different things going on which it could possibly be linked to. My poor partner is beside himself!!

• Edited

Sorry to hear your going through all of this Fiona, and what a hard time to be going through it as well with the virus. All I can really tell you is what I tell everyone. Don't rely on Dr. Google for information, press your doctors for answers if your not satisfied with what they tell you. Nobody has more invested your life than you and your family. You are always welcome here! 😃

• Edited

Thanks Nate. I know, the timing isn't the best! I'm sorry to hear yours goes away then comes back. That must be awful. I phoned the GP this morning and spoke to a different Dr than last time. This Dr seemed genuinely concerned, unlike the last one, and after answering some questions wants me to go down to the surgery tomorrow at 9am for blood tests.

What do the blood tests look for? What can they uncover? The Dr mentioned vitamin B12 deficiency and diabetes test but that was all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.