Numb fingers and toes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I would like to know if any one else has this symptom. I have been on thyroxine for 10 years and over the last few years have realised that my big toes have gone slightly numb and feel like they have an ice cube on them most of the time. I notice it more in hot weather. The tips of my thumbs and first fingers have now lost some feeling also. My GP has dismissed the syptoms and said it is due to my shoes. (I wear flip flops in the summer!)

It would be really nice to know if any one else has this problem. sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I have an under-active thyroid along with other ailments and my fingers and toes go numb from time to time!!! mine can be my Fibromyalgia showing its disabling head or my disc problems I have...... my advice is go and see another GP...... Google your symptoms even as when my Occupational health mentioned he thought I had \"Fibromyalgia\" as it wasn't confirmed back then I googled it and I new straight away so I knew before my GP!

Talk care and I hope you get your answers soon.

Regards

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response.

I have googled Fibromyalgia and alot of the symptoms are the same as mine! I have an appointment with the GP next week and hopefully they will listen to me this time. I have always put the extreem tiredness, aches/pains and brain fog down to my thyroid. And I do feel like I have been run over by a truck every morning. I am only young and this really upsets me, as I do not know what the future holds. Hopefully now there may be an answer to improve all of this.

Is this condition commonly linked to Hypothyroidism?

Thank you again!

• Posted

Hi there

[quote:89fbbd5b37]Is this condition commonly linked to Hypothyroidism? [/quote:89fbbd5b37]

I believe it can be, and it is also can start after a trauma like a car accident! Keep a diary too and then you can show your GP how you are effected!

I do hope you get your answers soon as it took a year for my diagnosis as \"Fibromyalgia\" it is a hard illness to diagnose, you have to qualify for 11 out 18 tender points, and they will generally give you blood tests to rule out other illnesses.............I have put symptoms on other threads :wink: Anyway I do hope you get your answers sooner than myself?

Kind Regards

• Posted

i have had a numb feeling in my big left toe for a long time now i do have an underactive thyroid and take 125 mcg daily i also over the last18 months have a very painful left thumb joint which causes me great discomfort to the point i cannot hold anything with my left hand for long and find bending my thumb really excrutiating i had physio on it a year ago with an exray but nothing was found and its getting worse its definately swollen or bigger than my right hand,has anyone else experienced this or simular.
  • Posted

Hi there Pauline,

My fingers and other parts of my body do go numb, and I often wake in the morning and my hands have no feeling :oops: they also do seem swollen but are not visibly? I loose grip of things too as my hands go kind of weak from time to time and I get awful pain in all places of my body \"burning toothache\" but yet is can be ice cold to touch on the outside? this is I think mostly due to my \"Fibromyalgia\".

Have you had blood test done to check for RA (for example, this is what my doctor did for me) or has your thyroid function been done recently? as that being slightly wrong I believe can cause all sorts of problems? If you continue to have these problems you should see your GP again as you shouldn't be suffering in silence!!

Take care and I hope you get your answers soon x

• Posted

This is interesting as I too have problems with pain in my left thumb.

For a long time it has hurt when I move it from left to right. Now it is getting more painful and hurts when I do things like press the car seat belt to unlock it. Also hurts when I hold some items. My Doctor says it is carpel tunnel and common with underactive thyroid.

• Posted

for certain this is linked to ya thyroid ...i been told by my endo that its a symptom........wen your on the correct dose this will go away....its how i can always tell i need my thyroxine boosting by tingly little finger...xx
  • Posted

smile Hi CB1, I have just been diagnosed this last week with underactive thyroid, and one of my (many!) symptoms is cold feet and fingers. I have had this symptom for many years but only in the last 2 weeks has it been so bad that I felt it was more than just bad circulation. I wake up in a nice warm bed in the morning and my feet are absolutely perishing cold. So I would say your doc is wrong to dismiss this, and your thyroxine levels probably need checking again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.