Numb hands ,vivid dreams

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI on 20mg citalopram, week 11, haveing numb hands in the night, plus vivid morning dreams, not sure if it's ever going to go away, plus my thoughts are still there has any gone up to 30mg with success many thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mrs Susan,these probs are due to side effects so just persevere and hopefully they will go within the next 3/4 weeks

• Posted

yes susan, numb hands and vivid dreams all side effects, numb hand for me was horrible, i thought i was the only one who had this side effect, keep going, i went upto 30 for about 5 month, came back to 20 then i levelled out.

• Posted

Hi there, the vivid morning dreams are totally normal part of starting up this drug. And also of withdrawal. My dreams for the first 18 weeks have been totally bonkers, its actually only over the last month or so the early morning dreams which wake me up have stopped and I feel I am having a normal sleep cycle.

The problem is, every time you increase the dose, you have a risk of side effects. I would personally give 20mg a lot longer and see how you settle. If there's no discernible improvement by Jan/Feb, reassess then.

And remember that recovery is SLOW. I'm at week 18 and still sometimes getting some breakthrough depressing thoughts, and some days have heightened anxiety, for no reason.

But obviously it's your choice, I'm just trying to explain that you can have a whole raft of side effects, and that the up and down nature of recovery is totally to be expected, at any dose.

Happy New year, Mrs. Susan. Wishing you good health in 2019 x

• Posted

I've also had the numb hands as well as restless leg, sweaty and cold hands and feet. The doctor said that is or most likely was side effects of the Citalopram since I didn't have these before taking them, but always best to ask your GP to rule out anything else, at least I always do. Not sure what causes it but it is suppose to get better over time it just takes quite a while for all the side effects to go away, and for the meds to start leveling out. I have had some semi-normal times for very short periods (hours) during the 6 weeks I've been on it so that is the promising side that they are starting to work. I know its going to take awhile before its in full effect but those small times I do feel more like myself keeps me going.

Hoping you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.