Numbness.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I had CTR surgery done 3mths ago on my left hand and I'm still getting pins and needles and numbness in my hand at night time. I dont no if this is because it's still healing or the op hasnt worked?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It could be still healing. It can take months and months. I'd make an appointment back at the hospital just to put your mind at rest though.

• Posted

I'm now 9 weeks post op and still get a degree of pain. Some days it's ok then others it flares up. I've been reassured it's fine and that it could take 6 months to fully recover. Either way I'm back at work after week 11.

• Posted

I got told it could take up to 6mths to.My hand is stiff during the night and in the morning its still a bit tender where they cut the palm and i get occasional pain in my wrist. I went back to after 7wks.
  • Posted

If the symptoms have not changed at all by 3 months then it is likely that either the diagnosis was wrong or they did not perform the operation correctly. If however there has been some improvement but there are residual symptoms of a milder severity then it might just be that it was a pretty severe CTS to start off with and the median nerve is being slow to regenerate. You can try to analyse the situation yourself if you read the page on how to assess poor outcomes of surgery on carpal tunnel net Dr J Bland
    • Posted

There has been a slight improvement. Id had the symptoms for 3yrs before i had the op. When they cut the tendon they said it was really tight. I've got to have my other hand done next year so I'm hoping its just taking longer to regenerate.

• Posted

Surgeons seem to say that after every carpal tunnel operation! Did you have any nerve conduction studies done in the few months before surgery to tell us exactly how much nerve damage there was? Dr J Bland
    • Posted

No they didn't do that test as i answerd yes to all the questions which they said thats what it was. Both my mum and sister had cts. So it could be hereditary.

I had the streoid injection in wrist but it only worked for 6 days.

• Posted

CTS is about 50% genetic in origin so the family history is relevant. People who do poorly with injection often do poorly with surgery too so that was a bit of warning sign (if they used an adequate dose of steroid). It's very hard to make sense of post-operative NCS without pre-operative ones for comparison so testing now may well be a waste of time in trying to figure out what the problem is I am afraid. If you are lucky in where you live, an ultrasound scan may help diagnosticsally but there are few people around who are competent to look a these images after carpal tunnel surgery. Dr J Bland

• Posted

So i guess it's a case of putting up with it and hope things improve with time. Im supposed to be getting my other had done next year. So i have a big decision to make.

• Posted

It would definitely be worth consulting the surgeon who did it about this one at this point. See what they say at least. JB
  • Posted

Was yours endoscopic or the traditional open palm incision? My surgeon will rarely do endoscopic. He indicated what happens is that a piece of fat or tissue falls in front of the camera after the incision so they think they have made a sufficient cut but there's a fractional part of the transverse carpal ligament remains that still puts pressure on the median nerve. The same could happen with the open palm surgery where the cut of the ligament maybe didn't go all the way through as well. What has your doctor indicated about this being three months out?

• Posted

I had open palm surgery. I've not sooken to them about it as i got discharged after surgery and we don't get a follow up appointment just follow up advice and a phone number if need to contact them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.