Numbness

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello - I am in the middle of what we are thinking is my first flare of diverticulitis.  I woke up 5 days ago with diarrhea and left lower abdominal pain. I finally went to the doctor yesterday after the pain was more than I could bare.  Doctor started me on antibiotics and ordered ultrasound that I will have next week.  My question is regarding what feels like swelling in my lower abdomen, right next to my left hip.  It is actually causing my upper left thigh and pelvic area to feel numb.  Has anyone else every experienced this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have not but watch closely as you may have an abscess or a perforation. Did he at least do some lab work.?
    • Posted

I had lab work which came back fine.  Pain is much better today and have been able to go to the bathroom okay.  Now developing diarrhea from the antibiotics though.  Just have the feeling of swelling now.

• Posted

Hi! I also had my first flare recently and had swelling exactly where you’re talking about. I didn’t have the numbness though. Actually, when I went to my Dr and she touched me there I almost jumped off the table so she sent me straight to the ER because she said she could feel the swelling.  I had a CT scan and......diverticulitis. The meds make the pain go away pretty quickly, but they gave me HORRENDOUS diarrhea! Baby wipes and A and D ointment were my friends. Just had my first colonoscopy today, showed mild diverticulitis and one tiny polyp that he removed, back in 5 years. Since you’re in the beginning of antibiotic treatment, be patient, it takes a while to feel better. I only ate applesauce, white toast, plain baked potatoes and white fish for almost 10 days. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much!  I'm thinking that the swelling is pressing on a nerve.  It makes me feel a little better that someone else experienced swelling like this.  I now have diarrhea from the meds.  No fun.  I had a colonoscopy 3 years ago and at that time there was nothing so something must have developed since then.  I went to the store earlier today and bought applesauce, white gluten free bread, potatoes and mac and cheese.  That will most likely be my diet for the next few days!

• Posted

Suggest you get a good probiotic and start on it right away - usually helps with the side effects from the antibiotics.  

• Posted

Thank you!  Do you have any suggestions on a good probiotic?

• Posted

I order mine from Amazon, but you want to go ahead and get started right away, so ask the pharmacist what he/she would recommend.  I know you want one that has billions of live cultures and around 20 different strains.  The one I take has 39 billion cultures and 23 strains (Nexabiotics) You can research it, and then order what you think best, but I would definitely go ahead and get something right away to start with.  I have always found the pain diminishes pretty quickly with the antibiotics, but then  you have to deal with all the side effects from the cure!  And if you have read this forum, you know that niggly little  pains can go on for quite some time so don't be upset with that.  May be pretty drained, too, for awhile - partially due to not real good nutrients from a liquid/soft diet, the antibiotics, the stress, and the general disease, so don't let that worry you either.  Best on your road to recovery.

• Posted

Yes during my flare ups my urine burns a little . Tons of diarrhea
  • Posted

I have not my pain is like labor pains when I was having a flare up doubled over This was about 5 weeks ago after 3 days in hospital intravenous antibiotics and pain meds I was given 10 days of 2 different types of antibiotics. The cramping pain never stopped Two days ago with cramping and fever my doctors office finally called me in some antibiotics I have not had any pain for 12 hours The best of luck to you
  • Posted

When I have flare ups, I have pain in lower back which also radiates down my thighs to my knees. Bloating has been an ongoing issue. I've been diagnosed with Crohn's and diverticulitis. I currently have a temporary ostomy bag which I've had for a little over 5 yrs. I was excited my doc. referred me to a surgeon for ostomy reversal, only to be told he wouldn't feel comfortable doing it because I still have flare ups.

• Posted

I am scared to death to get is ostomy bag The surgeon at the hospital said if I continue with infections as severe as my last he would have to remove at least half of my colon and I would have one for at least a year I have not done to much research on that but years ago I was a CNA at a nursing home and had a patient I took care of that had one and it was scary to me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.