Numbness a symptom of depression?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been feeling emotionally numb and empty for almost 8 months, happened overnight! I went from happy go lucky to anxious and tearful & feeling disconnected from everyone! Is this depression?!

It does run in my family but I cannot understand why I'm feeling like this.

I am taking 100mg sertraline just shy of two weeks and hoping they correct any imbalance I may have.

Will I be able to feel love again?!!

Please advise me!!!

Thanks so much xxx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Glad you got help Lotty. Yes, that's my experience of depression. Seems strange doesn't it to feel so disconnected and low but, contradictorily, acutely anxious too. I've heard good things of sertraline so give it a fair try and don't expect miracles. You may experience a slow improvement, you may notice a distinct improvement (I'd say my depression moved from 8/10 to 2/10 with my new medication but my anxiety is stuck). If sertraline doesn't work, there are other SSRIs your GP can prescribe till you find the right one for you. It's important not to give up hope; just be honest with your GP rather than suffering in silence.

It's also important to help yourself along. I hate to say this as it's the last thing depressed people want to hear but a healthy diet, routine, hobbies, friends and plenty of exercise do really help and there are things you can find out more about like Mindfulness which can help you focus on something like your breathing, freeing you from some of the weight of anxiety. You can also ask your GP for a referral for counselling or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (or whatever therapy they feel is right for you) if you have no emotional support at home or among your friends.

Will you feel love again? You've not stopped - it's just swamped by other feelings that get so jumbled up. You don't say how old you are but, even at my advanced age, a psychotherapist pointed out that I was young, with many years ahead of me - and I'm retired! And that's good advice - there's always time ahead to enjoy life again, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time.

• Posted

good to know you got help but medicines will take some time to work so be patient. you will definitely feel love again...dont worry. i know depression is hard to deal with but dont think over things too much and avoid over analysis. some medicines which work on someone dont always work on others...sertraline and flupentixol i tried but they didnt really help, so tell your gp if medicines are not showing effects. try to keep your self busy with what you like and stay positive..all the best
  • Posted

My recently ex partner also experiences emotional numbness through depression, he experienced a trauma about 3 years ago and says he hasn't felt it since however has never dealt with it until meeting me afternoon a year and a half of being in an amazing happy relationship with me but being unable to tell me he loves me he has decided he needs some space to visit a counsellor which he has been to one session and felt instantly more positive, it's nice to see he is not alone in this feeling and we are both hoping he will feel love again. He continues to tell me he wants to be with me and would never have gone to counselling if it wasn't for meeting me so fingers cross this steps helps him to be able to become back in touch with his positive emotions. Good luck to you x 

• Posted

I have been with Jim 43 years and he has only recently told me he loves me I was quite sure he didnt really in the early days, that i was a convenience, but he said he never wanted to go, it was very confusing. Dont feel discouraged if you can help it, some people when depressed just cant put things into words, neither can very inhibited people. If he has had a trauma it will take years if its a bad trauma but therapy will help alot I can vouch for that.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, and well done for your patience. It's been a hard few months but I honestly feel he is the man I could spend my life together throughout our relationship we were so happy never had issues only minor ones and we are so compatible even he agrees. We are currently not together as he said he needed to lose everything to make a change which he did, as soon as he broke up with me he went to a counsellor he has had his first session and is waiting for confirmation of his second and has also said he wants to go to a group to help him relax which is positive. Your story gives me hope as it can be hard but i feel deep down I know we are right for each other. We spend time together now 'as friends' but after 3 months apart he still has cards photos up of me in his room etc although he tells me he has no feelings and doesn't love me! Crazy but I feel that it must be his negative emotions from his trauma that he has never dealt with clouding over any positive emotions he wants to have x 

• Posted

the best thing for me is seeing him constantly laugh whenever we are together and occasionally affectionallty touches my leg and quickly takes his hand away as he feels he shouldn't do that if we aren't together. Just wish he could see how happy I make him, I think he does but clearly he can't express it right now but just proud he has taken the step to therapy clearly he wants to feel it 

• Posted

Hello LOtty, I was sure i had replied to you recommending vit B3 as advertised on youtube. Its early days to expect that anti d to work it takes a few weeks, but you need to realise you can go through a lot of different anti d's before you find one that suits. I cant get on with sri's I take wellbutrin which is the best for me.

I have heard many cases of sudden depression, you dont feel love probably because you arent feeling much except depression anyway. make sure the anti'd' you are taking arent deadening which they can be. Better to try the Vit B Niacin method maybe. I am just beginning to but you have to start with only 50mg and get a red flush then move on up when you cease to going up maybe to 1000mg in the end which they claim gets rid of depression. Good Lucky I hope it goes, Gill

• Posted

Hope you get better soon. It's sad feeling that way and hard for those you disconnect from

I feel both ways I suffer from depression but manage to keep from hurting others. My Ex on the hand got depressed and now has push me and his daughter away. It's not his fault. He just need to get help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.