numbness after ankle surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my ankle on May 2, 2019 and had surgery on May 9, 2019. I had nerve block for the surgery. It has been 11 days since the surgery but I am still numb on the top of my foot near my big toe, and between my big toe and 2nd toe. How long does it typically take for this numbness to go away?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have the same numbness post a right ankle fusion 53 weeks ago. My consultant is puzzled because he said that an ankle fusion operation didn't go anywhere any nerves in the ankle. I also had a nerve block, so maybe that has something to do with it. But a year on it's no better than immediately post-op. C'est la vie I suppose - at least I can walk a few miles now which I couldn't do pre-op.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry you are still numb after all this time. It has been 5 weeks since my original post, I am still numb and tingly, but it has improved a little. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Some numbness may stick around for awhile. A long time past surgery I was still pretty numb across the top of my foot. I can confirm that a year and half later the top of my foot is no longer numb (I'm sure the feeling came back a long time ago, but I haven't paid close attention).

• Posted

Thanks for the hopeful response! I hope that I can one day say that my foot is no longer numb.

• Posted

This has been exactly the same for me! I broke my ankle 2 weeks ago and had surgery 5 days ago. Ever since then I have been numb in that exact same area.....base of my big toe and between big toe and second one. I also had nerve block injections and my consultant also said he couldnt understand as the work done was nowhere near that part of my foot. Don't know if it will come back eventualyl or not at all.

• Posted

How are you doing now, two weeks since you posted your comment? It has been 5 weeks since I posted, and I still have the numbness and tingling, although it has improved slightly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.