Numbness after L5/S1 decompression surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had surgery 2 days ago at L5/S1 decompression and disc excision. Before surgery I had complete numbness down the back on my right hand leg running into the sole of my foot and toes. I'm doing well with regards to the surgery but have still not got any feeling back. Has anybody else had similar symptoms and found that they have regained feeling? If so how long did it take? I know I have to be patient but as this was my only symptom it's hard to know if surgery worked. Thank you :-)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would say that you have to be patient. Although I did not have your surgery, I had a Moreton's neuroma removed from my toe. I still had pain at the site for a number of weeks after the surgery and was convinced that the surgery was unsuccessful. Then all of a sudden the pain just disappeared and I was cured! It will be fine, just give your body time to heal on its own!
  • Posted

Hi Carina. Patricia here. It is going to take some time for the nerve to

heal, during which you may experience discomfort, numbness, and or

tingling. Between you and your doc, you should be able to hit upon a medication or a combination of meds that should relieve some of it. Once a

nerve is irritated, it wants to rest until it isn't anymore and how long that takes is up to the nerve. The one thing I cannot impress enough is that you are going to have to take it easy. No lifting of heavy objects (I'm certain the surgeon gave you a list of restrictions). Follow that list religiously

and chances are you will recover fully. Also, no bending and since your

Laminecyomy was at L5-S1, it is probably wise to limit sitting for more than 5-10 min at a time. The trick is to really concentrate on the

movements you are getting ready to make before you even make them

And to listen to the signals your body gives out when you blunder. I

worked on an Ortho Surgical and had a 30 yr old coworker go through 4

Micro-Disectomies within a 14 month time frame because she 1) pushed the surgeon to let her go back to work too soon, or 2) felt that she had recovered enough to bend over to pick up her 4 yr old and the disc material protruded again. Just saying, please listen to the docs and let yourself heal. The very idea that I might consciously or subconsciously

physically do anything to cause the return of the awful pre surgical pain

I endured was frightening enough to make me take heed. I hope this has given you some insight And I wish you well.

Patricia

• Posted

Hi Carina. Patricia here. It is going to take some time for the nerve to

heal, during which you may experience discomfort, numbness, and or

tingling. Between you and your doc, you should be able to hit upon a medication or a combination of meds that should relieve some of it. Once a

nerve is irritated, it wants to rest until it isn't anymore and how long that takes is up to the nerve. The one thing I cannot impress enough is that you are going to have to take it easy. No lifting of heavy objects (I'm certain the surgeon gave you a list of restrictions). Follow that list religiously

and chances are you will recover fully. Also, no bending and since your

Laminecyomy was at L5-S1, it is probably wise to limit sitting for more than 5-10 min at a time. The trick is to really concentrate on the

movements you are getting ready to make before you even make them

And to listen to the signals your body gives out when you blunder. I

worked on an Ortho Surgical Unit and had a 30 yr old coworker go

through 4 Micro-Disectomies within a 14 month time frame because she 1) pushed the surgeon to let her go back to work too soon, or 2) felt that she had recovered enough to bend over to pick up her 4 yr old and the disc material protruded again. Just saying, please listen to the docs and let yourself heal. The very idea that I might consciously or subconsciously

physically do anything to cause the return of the awful pre surgical pain

I endured was frightening enough to make me take heed. I hope this has given you some insight And I wish you well.

Patricia

• Posted

I had two Laminectomy  operations 15 and 13 years ago  my left leg is numb, the numbness is still there after all those years but I can walk, cycle, and am active

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.