Numbness and pain in both legs up to waist

Posted , 8 users are following.

I hope this is in correct category. I am a 48 yr old woman with no known health issues About 10 weeks ago I got a back spasm that didn't release causing me much pain. The next morning I woke up with extreme pain in both of my hips as well as my back. Daily this became progressively worse as the pain started to travel down my legs, eventually causing from the knee down to become numb, and ultimately numbness traveled from knee to under feet, then back up legs to hips, including the genital and bottom areas and when this occurs I cannot walk and I must hold onto something to stand because I literally do not feel my feet or legs. There have been occasions where the onset has been so rapid that I actually fall where I stand.It is painful to walk more than a few steps at a time without holding onto something, and especially difficult and painful to walk up the stairs. Actually, it feels as if I'm always in one degree or another of pain from hips down.

I'm waiting on my appointment with doctor so I can get a referral to neurologist for MRI. I believe this to possibly be a pinched nerve, although the back pain and tight muscle is gone. Has anyone experienced such debilitating leg numbness and if so, what was done to treat it? I'm at my wits end here and still have 2 weeks for my appointment! I am tired of falling down randomly in public especially since it is difficult to get back up when I can't feel my feet.   

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Next time it happens call an ambulance. Which state do you live in? If you like in QLD, invoke Ryan's Rule

• Posted

Hi, the advice you got from retired physician is right on! Run don’t walk to the nearest emergency room. I deal daily with repercussions from herniated disc and it has impacted my life profoundly! It is so important that you don’t injure yourself further so treat yourself gently and ask for help from your family and friends. From this moment on think of yourself as a “warrior” that fights everyday to maintain the healthiest person you can be. This journey takes courage and persistence, but you can do this! Educate yourself about the spine and the nerves that impact which part of the body at each disc. You can find illustrations online that show all this information. The more you know the better you will be able to help yourself. I am so sorry that you face this and I want you to know I am sending my very best wishes your way! 🍀??🕊 PS I didn’t go into much detail regarding my journey, I elaborate a bit just to let you know I understand the issues you face. So... I have had every imaging procedure, nerve numbing shots, major surgery with fusion L3,4,5, nerve stimulating implant and this all led to controlled substance medications etc. Yup it is a journey and YOU can do this girl!! 🌹

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.