Numbness and rheumatoid arthritis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

I have had RA for a number of years, I've had lots of surgery, I am wondering if anyone else experiences numbness in the head, mine is on the left side, I am trying to establish whether it is a symptom of rheumatiod . Does anyone know please??

Thank you

Livy

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Livy

I was only diagnosed in October but recently because I have had some problems with the drugs I am trying I visited my GP for some advice. I told her that I keep getting a weird feeling on the left side of my head at the back I can only describe as numbness but also when I would say something makes my skin crawl or gives me the creeps its that sort of feeling in just that area, she told me it was tiredness that gives you that but nobody I know has ever had this, to be honest my friends were all worried about it when I told them so I am going to tell my nurse when I see her in May as my GP has not been very helpful.

I will let you know.

Karen

• Posted

Hiya Karen

So pleased you answered, it's a bit worrying when its in your head isnt it. So good to know someone else is the same. I also get patches of Heat usually at the top of my inner thigh, and now i've started getting a COLD patch on my left outer thigh sometimes. I have had quite a lot of different medication and surgery ( hips and knees) so if i can help you with any info please get in touch

regards

Livvy xx

• Posted

Hi Livvy,

I saw my consultant and because of recent side effects I have been told that I cannot take Immune suppressants of which I was taking Methotraxate, I told her about the problem in my head and she told me to stop the drugs immediately, Its not quite two weeks yet and I am still getting it now and again but I know that the tablets take a little while to get out of my system so I am going to start monitoring when it happens and if I am feeling really tired which is a big part of my RA, but I didnt get any real answers on this as its difficult trying to fit everything into an appointment.

Try to see how you are feeling generally around the times these occur, let me know.

Karen xx

• Posted

Hiya Karen

I see my consultant end of this month , she is a new one to me so i'll ask her , i have never really been given any explanation , i am taking embrel , which i inject myself twice each week ,it is very good but like everything stops working as good after a few years ,so i am back on methotrexate as well to boost it.

I think we just have to take things as they come n get on with life, my consultant did say there is a lot of new drugs for me to move on to . I do find codeine made me very tired so i only take it when absolutely nessesary

hope you find the right one for you

keep ya chin up

Livvy xx

• Posted

Hi Karen and Livvy,

I wanted to share something with you that may help. I have had RA for 24 years and have taken every medication available. My last was Enbrel for 8 1/2 years. I have had cold spots, aching teeth back pain and neck pain but was always told by my rheumatologist it wasn't my RA. I was fortunate enough to have a NUCCA doctor recommended to me by a friend. Please look this practice up on the internet for full info. It involves X-rays and adjusting your C-1 vertebrae. It is not invasive and the pressure they use is almost insignificant. Within minutes of the adjustment I felt better than I had in 20 yrs. It has now been 3 1/2 years since firstseeing the NUCCA doctor and I have been off all my RA meds for 1yr and 9 months. I still take 2 advil a day but ride my horses for 4 to 5 hours a day and am still getting better all the time. My back is 90% improved as well as neck and cold spots and teeth aching have disappeared. I believe these are because of impaired nerves and that people with RA all have a very misaligned C-1 which contributes to the RA and the nerve problems. I am no longer seeing my rheumatologist and she did not believe this could help and that I would be back but I am quite confident that I will no longer need her. I always feel when I find people having problems like I did that I am obligated somehow to try to help and pass on my experience.

Good Luck to both of you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.