numbness and tingling

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi i was diagnosed with oa in 2012 via x ray of my left knee since then its got alot worse over the last year my foot goes numb and tingly only after standing a few seconds to the point i nearly fall over ! my hips and back also ache ! ive been to the doctors so many times with this ! all they do is give me pain relief and excersise which is just 1 big circle cant excersise because of the numbness ! im 51 and the doctor says im too young for a knee replacement and that they only last 10 years ! ive also had the knee injections ! now all my limbs seem achey and the back of my neck now as slight pain and i feel like im drunk all the time my next appointment is not for another 2 weeks and i feel like the doctor is fed up with me ! any ideas for reasurance ? ty deb  

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Deborah, so sorry to hear of your problems, you seem in a worse state than me - not just pain but dizziness and aches all over. Poor you sad

I have so far been denied an xray so have been researching it myself to find out if I am entitled to one. I've had feedback from friends who have professional medical friends who say I AM entitled and must insist. So, after 4 years of pain, two visits to the doctor and two lots of physio I have just changed to another surgery and have an appointment in two weeks.

Will let you know how that goes...

I too had problems with the physio - really nice guy but gave me exercises that were impossible to do because of the pain, and while the second lot helped (and is still helping) the pain is less but is stopping me from doing many things. Even shopping is getting difficult.  I have a part-time job in school which I think I will have to give up.

After reading your symptoms I'm not sure I have OA, I don't have numbness and tingling? It was the physio who diagnosed this, the doctor said I have Ilio-tibial band syndrome which is an injury but which should have cleared up by now.

I don't want cortisone or any drugs.

What are the exercises you have been given? Do any of them help? One thing I have which relieves the pain enormously is a Homemedics shiatsu massage cushion, it's about £60-80 from Amazon, it's pricey but brilliant, really recommend it. It's easy enough to position yourself on whatever part of the body is painful for it to be of use; I sit in a reclining chair and wedge my thigh up to it tight, when I switch it on the relief is heavenly!

Maybe it's worth you changing doctors? I know there's an argument about the lifespan of replacement surgery but we are both young - if I give up now I feel like my life will be over, I don't want to shelve everything and pick up again when I'm 60! I want to remain active now, and be old as and when!

Jan X

• Posted

hi jan ty for replying im defo going to try that cushion i dont really want to change doctors as the next 1 is a few miles away although i do drive i might try acupunture too ive tried lots of things off amazon but i always give up but today i joined this site and its helped alot just reading the threads ive re started taking vitamins ie b12 and msm tablets might start taking tumeric again and rosehip ive also started taking hemp oil tastes vile but i drink something or eat a sweet and also i was so determind i took my dog for a walk today i was scared of falling over but i did it ive also joinded the quit smoking group but not doing very well just awaiting on the patches the exersises i do are pulling my legs up behind me then when sitting raising the leg and holding it like that for a few secondsi used musselflex gel on my hole leg today i think it helped as i walked the dog lol , jan its so frustrating and ive got depression through it as i look at older folk much more active and walk better than me let me know how the new doctors go ? and thanks for your support x
  • Posted

Hi Deborah,

Wow, sounds like you've tried everything! With regard to acupuncture I considered it as years ago I met an old lady with severe back pain & she said it was the only thing that worked, but having looked it up for an OA situation the general feeling is that it will work but only for a short time. I imagine it's quite expensive, I wouldn't want you to waste money.

I am going to make a fuss, demand an xray and check out my options from there - asking as many knowledgeable people as possible as I feel I'm being fobbed off, I suspect my health authority are cutting back on operations all but for the very desperate. That's not on, I've paid in all my working life!

I am sorry you are depressed, I get bouts of that too but mainly because of my circumstances (other than my hip problem). If you suffer from clinical depression you really have my sympathy.

The massage cushion is great, but have a look at the Homemedics website for other products, you might see something that suits your situation more. Let me know how you go with that!  Are you in the UK by the way?

Jan X

• Posted

hi jan yes im in the uk im on the isle of wight ty about the advice on acupunture i do know 1 of our islands practices did send someone for a session if they had to pay im not sure but i am going to try it in the new year it may help with other sypmtoms and i will check out what you suggested i did ask for a x ray on my back and hips but was declined twice because the doctor said it can cause uterine cancer ! but then are sending me for a chest x ray why ive not been offered an mri scan ive no clue like you i think its cut backs i see the doctor in 2 weeks ive wrote a list of questions for him too so i dont forget and let me know how you get on too ! oh believe me jan my story gets worse lol think i might write a book ! oh by the way if you av anything real serious you have to travel to portsmouth hostpital ! no cancer unit here ! my husband had to travel via a ambulance for chemo so long ferry journey then long wait to get picked up again in a weak state unfoutantly he passed away 3 years ago and im sure the team could have done more ! ty you jan once again for replying and taking an interest but that cushion sounds divine im using my dog for warmth she curls up right next to me and it does help lol ty jan x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.