Numbness and tingling fingers following cast removal for wrist fracture.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I broke my wrist on 3rd April after I fell in my garden and had my cast removed on 9th May. Shortly after the cast came off I noticed swelling in my wrist and increased swelling in my fingers. My fingers also felt very weird to touch.  They are not completely numb but are tingly and feel as if I am touching sandpaper! I went to my GP last week as I was worried but he said that this should improve once my wrist has settled down but I am still concerned with symptoms. I have fracture clinic on Wednesday but am worrying myself sick in the meantime.

Has anybody had similar issues?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vanessa,

Yes this is normal, I’ve just recently fractured my wrist and had to have I wire surgery, I am 5 weeks post removal and I still get it now and again. Try putting your wrist in warm water for 30 seconds and then cold water for 30 seconds and it will help the circulation. You should feel a difference after a few times smile

• Posted

Thank you - hate the feeling of numbness and it is leaving me reluctant to try and do things with my hand as it feels weird! I have frightened myself after googling every symptom and have convinced myself that I’ll lose the use of my hand!

How are you feeling now after your surgery - do you have much movement? Wrists very stiff at the moment and cannot do much - I think I’m too impatient as I understand it may take time for things to improve!

• Posted

Worst thing you can do is google, everyone’s body is different, honesty when I had my cast removed I thought I’d never move it again , 3 weeks on and I’m have about 90% movement which I was told I would never regain. I do exercises as much as I can, I didn’t rely on a splint etc as I’d felt claustrophobic enough with a cast on for 8 weeks. I promise you that you’ll get where you need to be it just takes time. I always want everything done yesterday but this was something I had to grin and bear haha. Make sure you keep up with physio and in a month you’ll forget you broke it! Hope your recovery goes well. If you feel any other strange feeling just give me a message! 
    • Posted

Just been to fracture clinic and explained symptoms to doctor - he said that the numbness was quite common as the nerve in the wrist is probably compressed due to soft tissue swelling and he’s sure that things will improve. He also referred my to physio so hopefully I’ll have more movement in my wrist after this! Back to fracture clinic  in 6 weeks - why does everything have to take so long!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.